Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rocket Sled II Model A Roadster build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wingnutz, May 26, 2014.

1. Congrats on the Olds 425! IN a light roadster, that thing should turn 12s easy if you can get it to hook up. Those things had like, 10.75 compression tho....good gas is mandatory! A switch-pitch converter would be trick.

2. I avoided the 425 in my last build because I heard weird things about lifter angle and lifter size.

Plus the 455 just fell into my lap for the last build just like the 425 fell into my lap for this build!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  3. Are we talking about the fronts or rears or both?

4. Just the rears... front 15x4s Cheby bolt pattern are going to stick around for a long time!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  5. Well I found the cowl that I really want and Santa will be sending I my way soon!

30 commercial Roadster cowl... just needs that dash rail thingy and some ingenuity. cowl 1.jpg cowl 2.jpg cowl 3.jpg

I need to sell this so I can buy more Roadster stuff!

The 40 dash next to The Indian isn't for sale!

The dash is the combination of all the other dashes I bought and it's ready for the Roadster mods as soon as I get the cowl!

red indian .jpg

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  6. Merry Christmas Jim!

7. Right back at you Mark.

8. Well I'm waiting delivery of "Thumper" (425 Olds) and the Commercial truck cowl I can't stop thinking of how the stock 425 would perform in my Roadster rather than sticking a bunch of work into the engine ?

I really want this engine to run as sweet as described with out loosing a bank roll. I have a dual quad and dual point for it and I'll freshen up the valves but I don't want to " bore it out at this time".

What did these engines put out for stock Horse power and torque?

What do you guys think?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. From the info I found it looks like 365 horse and 470 torque so it should scoot!:D

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. You'd think that it wouldn't take much to pull 475hp and 525 ft lb of torque!

I could be wrong but I can dream!

11. Last Olds powered Roadster tipped the scales at 2,320 lbs. with a full 16 gallon tank... this one should be about the same... maybe 100 pounds more!

Not so light after all!

12. I found hub with the GM 5x4.75 stud that'll bolt right on to my Quickchange... But it'll cost more than I want so now I'm sticking to the 5X5 Howe hubs

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  13. I need a set of Magnesium American 5 spokes preferably 16x10 4 1/2 negative offset with a 5X5 bolt pattern.

I have a set of 16X10 real magnesium American 5 spokes with a Chevy bolt pattern of 5X4 3/4

I don't want to sell as much as I want to trade but if I have to... I'll take dollars!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  14. Well... I've decided the best option and least expensive route to go is to drill my wheels.

I've been beating myself up the past few months and I can't find a set of 5X5 that match the dimensions I need.

I don't want to unilug the existing holes nor do I want to drill an additional set of holes.
    But I was thinking that I should weld up the existing holes and redrill the 5X5 pattern .

What would you do?

15. Got a good mag welder?

16. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

How much are new hubs? Mag rod and a competent welder/machinist that'll touch 'em aren't cheap either. Why not just get some billet wheel adapters till the right pair come along?

17. Curt @ competition driveline

Same guy as above but the adapter idea sounds good!

18. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Do you have a list of things you need? You going to build this one on A rails? or make some rails?
    Any parts I should keep my eye out for in the local yards?

I might have some stuff here that can help you along I would just gift you I dunno- PM me a list when you get time.

I seen the other thread about buying stuff back... and was thinking you should do THIS when I found THIS thread... :) Good to see man.

Max Gearhead likes this.
  19. Hey Tuck... looking at bleeds new frames (very impressive) I'll need a dropped axle, Vega box, front hairpins and misc body parts... quarters, doors and the parts in between. Hahaha

20. Whoo - hoo Titus found me a Roadster body in Washington! And I bought it from him shortly before he set it up at Iola!

It's a super rare "32 Model A...." I know it's true cause the painters tape said so...!

So I've got everything except a driveshaft front caliper brakets. gauges.Towel City 16x9" cheater slicks and a seat!

Of course the body needs patches and some elbow grease but its all there!

I'm having difficulty posting photos from this phone but I'll try to get them up shortly.

21. 51box

51box
    from MA

Very cool, look forward to it coming together. Any pics of the body

22. Tons but I'm having difficulty posting them from my phone!

23. do you have tons of pictures, would you post some please..

24. Yeah...!!!!

I think I've got it!
    IMG_4053.jpg IMG_4054.jpg IMG_4079.jpg IMG_4083.jpg

enloe, Blue One, mgtstumpy and 5 others like this.
  25. Virgin metal... no patches... no repairs except for the inner fender wells being Zip screwed in. My last one had brazed in patches and poorly fitment all over because of the repairs.

Now if I can only find those leather office chairs again...

Time to fit my 40 Ford dash like I've done 3 times before!

I also have another identical oval mirror! 30 Roadster int.jpg

26. jeez.....about time

27. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpeg So Mark, are you going to mount the body on top of a BLEED frame? Chris Didenko's 34 truck cab is channeled 3" over the 4" high BLEED SWEEP frame, and looks great. You could probably do a 2" channel for more interior room. The chassis sits low enough that the 1"or 2" of exposed frame rail is pretty much not visible.
    Here is a pic of Chris' 3" channel.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    wingnutz, mgtstumpy and kidcampbell71 like this.