Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rocket Olds 303 transmission questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RoyalCrown32, Feb 14, 2006.

1. RoyalCrown32

RoyalCrown32

I plan on running a Ford manual gearbox behind my '53 303 Rocket Olds. Which transmission will work the best? I can get my hands on a 4-speed out of a '72 Mach I. Is that any good or should I go for an earlier 3-speed?

Thanx, Richard

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Strengthwise, I'd go with the four speed and hunt up an adapter to bolt it to the Olds. I still see late Ford to Olds adapters around at swap meets and on Ebay.

3. mr5by5

mr5by5

Richard;

This website (unfortunately) does not have the answer to your question, but it DOES have lots of links to engine-swap info:
    http://members.tripod.com/~grannys/listbyengine.html

My '65 J.C. Whitney catalog lists many adapters for mating your Olds V-8 to various manual transmissions including 49-65 Ford 3 and 4-speeds. You could buy one of $30 in '65! There's gotta be one out there somewhere...

4. Wasahawaiianrat

Wasahawaiianrat

The lasalle 3 speed is the best if your going traditional and want a bullitproof tranny but, if you want more gears, i think willcap has bellhousings for GM Sticks

5. RoyalCrown32

RoyalCrown32

I would like to use a Lasalle tranny. But you can't get them overhere. Shipping one from the US would cost way to much. That's why I'm thinking of running a Ford tranny. We got lotsa Mustangs in the Netherlands.

6. Wasahawaiianrat

Wasahawaiianrat

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I thought there were lotsa bicycles in the Netherlands? Didn't see too many mustangs in Amsterdam:p, Castricum or Noordjwickerhout ?sp?