Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rochester BC Adjustment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gonzo2424, Aug 19, 2009.

1. gonzo2424

gonzo2424

Having a horrible time trying to adjust the choke rod, and the unloader setting. I had everything working fine, but I took the carb off to replace the idle needle screw for air, and thought I should go ahead and recheck all the adjustments I did a year ago when I rebuilt the carb. Now I have everything in and wont start with my adjustments, I have to have to idle screw almost all the way in against the fast idle cam to get it going. Another thing, how tight should that fast idle cam be? Just tight enough to keep it from coming off is what I thought. Thought I knew what I was doing, since I have adjusted it before, but obviously back to beginner. Let me know what ya think.

2. gonzo2424

gonzo2424

To make matters worse, I thought maybe messing with the choke dial would help, and now I cant get it to even start, even after I put the dial to the previous setting on notches...

3. gonzo2424

gonzo2424

Ok, Have been really vague. Got her running, but think shes running to rich, and do not think I have the auto choke dial tension at the right spot. Here are some pictures of where she is right now, running, but seems high and rich. [​IMG][/url][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url][/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  4. carbking

carbking

5. On some carbs with an integral choke it's very easy to not get the choke stat spring and cover installed properly. You have to make sure that the hooked end of the spring is engaged into the slot in the end of the choke shaft lever, and not just laying off to the side of the lever.

To make sure it's installed right, seat the cover into the choke housing but don't fully tighten the the cover retainer screws. Then rotate the cover in both directions and watch the choke valve to make sure it moves in synch with the cover. The choke valve should have light spring tension against it in both directions.

6. gonzo2424

gonzo2424

still same problem... i have the housing latched on right, any other help

7. Jordster

Jordster

I wasn't paying attention with mine and nearly put the float needle in upside-down. Dunno if doing that would cause similar symptoms...?

8. gonzo2424

gonzo2424

Just check all the rebuild parts to make sure I did not make a simple mistake, everything was right, also looked at gasket to see if it was blocking a passage, which it wasnt.

9. Ob1

Ob1

Gonzo, I just picked up a carb looks to be just like yours. I see where one tube that connect to the choke comes up from the throttle body. Where does the other tube go to?

My present carb has a manual choke, but I am interested in seeing if this automatic choke can be workable.