Register now to get rid of these ads!

Robert Mitchum's Thunder Road Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Allah, Oct 2, 2011.

1. I agree...

[​IMG]

2. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I don't know why you can't link I just used it (clicked on the link)from this post and it links me right to the home page!This is the only link I have but you can search it under "TravelertheMovie" here is another link I got this by Copy and pasting TraveletheMovie into my search window.http://www.travelermovie.com/indexframes.html hope this one works for you.
    Leon

3. Robinson

Robinson

It was filmed on Market Street, and it is still brick. I believe that the building that Mitchum jumps out of is now called "The Venue", but used to be a furniture store.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Must be an iPhone problem. I'll try the home computer later. Thanks.

5. ....Thanks for that update. I can't believe the street is still brick, that's amazing. I haven't been back there for decades. My eye Dr. had her office on the top floor somewhere along there, no way to be certain. That would be pretty damn cool if her office was on the same floor where Mitchum knocked the piss out of Carl Kogan before bailing out the window!:)....Don.

6. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Well folks I tracked down the guys I spoke to originally and here is what they have replied...

THE 50 FORD SHOE BOX MY BROTHER HAS WAS IN THE 1958 MOVIE - THUNDER ROAD - IT WAS DRIVEN BY THE ACTOR ROBERT MITCHUM. WE ARE CURRENTLY WORKING ON IT NOW AND HERE ARE A FEW PICTURES. ITS GOT A BLOWN 312 Y-BLOCK WITH A 4 SPEED ON THE COLUMN............ VERY NICE !

I have tried to attach the pic they sent but the way it was emailed it seems to be difficult to copy.
    I am no computer expert and dont know how to follow the prompts I was getting to find the file.so I gave up.
    It has been painted a bugundy color and the pic was with the front sheet metal still off.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  7. Welcome aboard Allah!
    One of my fav movies too. And his "bootleggers turn" is worth the price of admission!

Speaking of boot legging - anyone out there been watching the great Ken Burns PBS documentary called PROHIBITION? Been on the last three nights.

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

"Four speed on the column" ? :confused: I think he meant 3 speed.

Don

9. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Could be a typo mistake regarding the 4 speed thing, I hope to see the car in the flesh next April when I will be down in CA again.

10. I drove a 4 speed on the column during high school, if you count reverse Ha

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

"So I did a little research and found out that Holley made a carb that was very much like the Strombergs and was used on some circa 1955 Fords.......in fact I had a 292 in my 56 with one of these on it, and a buddy had a 54 with 3 of them on it. They are Holley 94, model 2100 carbs."

Same model sold as "Bug spray" for VWs in the seventies so it was still in production then.

12. 68vette

68vette

Thunder road was filmed here in Asheville, where he does a 180, was close to the Silver Dollar Cafe, the overpass is still there close to the Art District there at the bridge that goes over the French Broad River...where Mitchum jumps out of the window, next to the 36 ford, was Sams Lincoln Mercury and Hoyles Office Supply downtown Asheville where the cobble street still remains to show the past.

My grandfather, Lucas, had a 39 ford std coupe and ran liquor from Kentucky to his cafe on Biltmore ave...he had 3 drivers...he lived on state st.

Now....Mitchum was named Luke, and the cops had a stake out on State ave in the movie....huuummmmm.

The filling station that blew up was modeled from Gene Johnsons Atlantic station on Haywood rd...he offered to sell them a 40 ford that was an extra in the movie for 150.00, and they said they preferred to lease it....the lease bill when all was said and done....nearly 400.00. Gene told me all kinds of stories about the movie...he still lives and has a junk yard here.

The land that the station blew up on was my best friends grandfathers land...there is low income housing there now.

I see John Bell all the time...he was up at Bald Mountain, Lake Lure, NC this past saturday with the car.

13. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

car chase scene just before the wreck was down in sandy bottoms by the river just after the parkay entrace before you get to avery's creek--just down the road from where I grew up. Don't remember exactly where the in town stuff is--will have to ask my dad when he gets back from vacation. have a buddy who was an extra at the gas station when the car explodes. he's just a kid there--went on to be a lifelong hot rodder.

14. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

has John got the orignal wheel back on the coupe yet? my dad when down to hickory to pick them up a couple of months back--haven't seen the coupe in a few years, but nobody I've talked to liked the 20's the shop down there put on it.

15. k9racer

k9racer

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the sound track.. For the engines that is.. They were from a 6 cyl. chevy with split exhaust manifold.. I played hookey from school in 1959 to see TR the first time.. I guess I have seen it over 100 times.. Richard Petty said it was his favorite movie..

16. I watched it last night and thought the engines sounded weak.

17. dudley32

dudley32

This hood is a '49...see where it used to say F O R D ..

18. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

I checked with my friends at breakfast this morning and Roy Tranthum did/does have a house just over the bridge from us here. And the white '36 was here and being driven along with two other old cars he had. Obviously the coupe was taken back to NC which they did not know about. Of course just seeing it a year or so ago may have been 10 years ago...or so.

Lee

19. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

yep. dad got back last night and I chekced it's been in FL for most of the last 20 years or so since JB put it back on the road about 1990--I didn't realize it had been there. it's been back here for at least 3 years-- I've been trying to work out all the details to have it at my event annual white liquor and dirt tracks event since fall of 09 and never quite worked it out yet. it's alive and well and that the important part :)

20. Good to know that the coupe has survived over the yrs. As a side note: I was on Maryland's Eastern shore today and passed a sign indicating Mitchum's Steak House down the road ->. I know that Robert Mitchum at one time owned an estate on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Does anyone know if this steak house was ever owned by or connected with him? Just curious. Not trying to hijack the thread....Don.

21. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

No, It was done as a tribute to him.
    He lived on a farm in the area for 11 years.:D

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. ....Hey Thanks for that info. Now I've got a great excuse to make a trip back over there to check it out. Hope they have some pictures, memorabilia, etc. there from his movies. One of my favorite actors of all time.:) Any idea how the food and service (and priceyness) goes?....Thanks, Don.

23. wheelsrus

wheelsrus
    from nevada

Russ,

Here's your photo.

Richard

[​IMG]

catdad49 likes this.
  24. wheelsrus

wheelsrus
    from nevada

The above message was posted for "fiftyv8"

See his earlier post.

Richard

25. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Thanks Richard, nice work.
    Russ.

26. Pete

Pete

I saw the actual car while in Cali. for the last GNRS, its in Cherry Valley.

Pete-

27. Deuces

Deuces

Thunder Road will be on tv tonight along with the movie Dillinger....
    Check your local listings!! ;)

28. Deuces

Deuces

29. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

just searched DirectTv listings and cant find it. For what channel did you see it listed?

30. Deuces

Deuces

It'll be on a local channel here in motown.. Channel 4.2..
    Dillinger will be on a 8 pm and Thunder Road at 10 pm...