Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roadster fuel system planning...need component reco's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CanUFelix, Jan 5, 2013.

1. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

I did a quick search but didn't find many specific details on this. Im about to start on the fuel system in my roadster and need some reco's on components. its a 31 ford on duece rails with a 53 Merc flathead running two 94's. Its got a Moon spun tank in the trunk with the outlet on the bottom and i'm figuring that I'll run an electric pump with a pressure regulator and filter in line to a moon fuel block on the fire wall to feed the two carbs. Now, i usually figure stuff out as i go along but the fuel system is one thing i'm not prepared to take chances with. so my question to the HAMB community is...

Does this sound like the right way to go and what component recommendations can you throw at me to make this as safe, reliable and simple as possible. its gotta been done thousands of times before right?

Here's the motor

Cheers

Felix

Attached Files:

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

As far as I know it's required by law in most places that the outlet be on top and the bottom can serve as a handy drain if the need ever arises.

3. my '57' buick's tank has it on the bottom.

4. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

I'll double check that. i've seen a bunch of tanks with the drain on the bottom but i did wonder whether it gives a problem with sediment collecting in the outlet......

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Ya having the pickup tube come from the top it reaches almost to the bottom but not quite, leaving a little room for junk to stay in the bottom of the tank instead of causing problems somewhere.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  6. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

cool, anybody have any reco's for a good fuel pump and pressure regulator.?

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Most of the aftermarket fuel tanks, like the spun aluminum ones from Speedway, have the fuel line pickup on the bottom.

As far as your component choices, here would be my recommendations:

1) Immediately at the bottom of the tank put a manual shut off valve so if something ruptures you can shut off the fuel right there. It also makes changing fuel filters and other maintenance easier as fuel isn't running all over the place while you work.

2) Put a good fuel filter BEFORE the electric pump. You want one that is made for electric pumps (look in Summit and Speedway for these) because a regular filter can cause too much resistance and can also be sucked closed by the pump. Electric pumps hate even the smallest particle of dirt, so a good filter before the pump is essential.

3) I have had almost every electric pump on the market and for years used Holley pumps, but they are noisy as hell, even if you isolate them in rubber. Now I am using Carter pumps and not only are they quieter but they seem to last a lot longer and be more forgiving on dirt that gets past the filter.

4) Next in line will be the regulator, and I am using a Holley regulator. I like it because I can dial it down to only a few pounds or even less, so flooding at the carb is never an issue.

Those are my recommendations.

Don

8. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

awesome, Thanks Don! Thats just the kinda input I was hoping for. One thing I've been trying to figure out is where to mount the regulator. are those things robust enough to tuck inside the frame rails or are they better mounted up near the fuel block?

thanks for the advice, great stuff

Felix

9. Try to find a MALPASSI 'Filter King' fuel pressure and filter regulator -- handles the low pressure and lower volume of what you need really well. Also, it looks vintage - which is important to me.

Here is an example on the Bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Filter-King...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item337efbb408

As Don and others have said, make sure you have a good filter BEFORE the pump as well. I tend to use ones with a fine stainless mesh element before the pump and a one with a cardboard style filter (like the MALPASSI) up by the carbs.

There are many pressure regulators that don't do a very good job with low-pressure situations (which is what you have). You only need 1.5 to 3 lbs max at the carbs.

Best of luck . . .

B&S

10. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Thanks man, that's just the look I need, it's important to me too! I'm trying to keep an early fifties thing going. How does the pressure adjustment work on that? Is it a screw type on the top?

11. I have a Holley low pressure (1-4 1/2 lbs) on my flattie. Both Summit and Speedway carry them. It adjusts on top with and oversize set screw and jam nut.
    RB

12. Yep, the screw on top. I like the look - didn't know about this unit until about a year ago. These have been on a whole host of European cars for years - you'll see them on lots of cars running Webers.

Nicest thing I've seen for a traditional rod . . .

13. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Thanks guys, I'm gonna look for a Malpassi 's I'm with B&S, it looks rad and sounds like the exact function I need. I'll keep the Holley unit in my back pocket I case the Malpassi is out of my reach.....can't wait to get this set up.....it's the last piece of the puzzle before fire up!

14. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I'll second the Carter pump. They're bulldogs. Mount it as close to the tank as possible preferably at or slightly lower than the outlet. The higher and further from the tank it gets it has to work to get the fuel and these little pumps are great as pushing but bad at pulling. As said before a filter before and after the pump is good and I use the Holley pressure reg backed all the way off which gives me about 1.5 psi.

15. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Great. This is why I love the HAMB, every little bit of advice paints a clearer picture. It's the first time I've tackled a fuel system and I now feel a lot more confident that what I have planned in my head will work smoothly. Thanks Dreadybear, your description of pump placement was the last piece in the puzzle for me.

Felix

16. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

OK, one more question, and i'm posting this up so that it'll hopefully provide useful info for anyone else searching fuel systems. Summit have Carter Rotary Vane and also In Line fuel pumps listed....is there a benefit to one over the other?.....

thanks Guys

F