Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roadrace cars... vintage, nostalgia, historic

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zman, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Choptop

Choptop

The 1964 Webster Special. Hand formed alum body, 255 cu.in. Olds alum block/head V8, Weber Carbs.... AMAZING sound. Raced in Can-Am.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

my favorite view
    [​IMG]

2. Choptop

Choptop

The Monsterati

The first Monsterati was constructed from a very tight budget by Bill Janowski who was attending SMU at the time, pursuing a degree in engineering. Being just a freshman in college, he lacked the means to construct a serious racing machine; instead he focused on building a 'special'. Near the close of 1953, he purchased a 1939 Ford chassis and began work on the project which would take several years to complete. work was done during his spare time and he was given assistance by Bob Gast. Once completed, the car was clothed in an fiberglass and aluminum body shell that was attractive, but not very aerodynamic. The car was completed mid-1956 and brought to its first race the following. Power came from a Mercury flathead engine, which would later be switched in favor of a Chevrolet V8 unit. Drum brakes were placed on all four corners, the chassis had a wheelbase of 100-inches and a length of 132-inches, and the gearbox was a Ford three-speed unit. Many of the other mechanical components were courtesy of Ford, mostly from the 1939 donor car.

The car was used as a road car and as a racing machine. It was used in SCCA competition, which, after one race, he had qualified for a national SCCA license. The rules were more relaxed for SCCA competition in the 1950's. During the national competition, challenging such marque's as Ferrari, Maserati, Mercedes, and Shelby, and battling for position against more experienced and polished drivers, proved to be a challenge. The car was raced in hillclimbs, but it continued to find itself chasing the competition. More power was needed. The popular choice at the time was the small-block Chevrolet unit. With the assistance of three two-barrel carburetors and a four-speed Chevrolet transmission transplanted from a Corvette, the Monsterati was again ready to race.

The new engine and other mechanical changes proved to be the solution needed to run at the front of the pack. It began setting the fastest times at hillclimbs, such as at the Louisiana Hilltop Raceway, where it ran the course three times, each time besting its previous lap record.

The car was sold in the early 1960s, and its resume in racing was continued by the subsequent owners. As the years progressed, engines and mechanical components were constantly changed on the vehicle. Improvements, which were sometimes very detrimental, were made to the car. One such change was to the aluminum, where one of its owners had used a cutting torch on the delicate metal.

During the 1980s, Janowski began searching for his car. It took a few years, but it was located in Texas. Janowski was able to purchase the car and began a frame-up restoration. When completed, the car was entered in historic competition. The car is currently in the care of Bill Janowski and is a frequent competitor in historic competition events.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. jody165

jody165

Try again, I just clicked it and it seems to be working.

4. noboD

noboD

This car was at Goodwood this year. It's called the Keift V8 Desoto. Anyone have other pics or info about it? Thanks.

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      53.7 KB
      Views:
  5. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

This is my core interest. Here are a few of my personal photos. I've got several hundred more that aren't scanned.

[​IMG]
    Herman Lang, '30s Mercedes GP driver get reacquainted with an old friend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]Lola T600 Chevy driven by Chris Cord (Grandson of E.L. Cord) and prepped by Doane Spencer.

[​IMG]

More later,

Cheers,
    Kurt O.

6. wsdad

wsdad

That's an amazing and beautiful car. If I owned it, I wouldn't sleep - I'd just stare at it.

7. plummad

plummad
    from Washington

Very cool thread, Any one need a driver?;) works a little slow so Im looking at other opportunity's :p Keep em coming.....

8. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

Great Thread... makes me want to take out my Jag, but its 22 degrees with a 45 MPH wind...damn it!

Attached Files:

9. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

Jeff wants to step up the game and is in the market for a short-wheelbase Porsche 911, that's a 1968 or earlier for those that don't speak "P". The SAAB could potentially be trade-bait for the right car.

10. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Sadler

Attached Files:

11. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

12. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

I am out in the shop a lot...nice comfy chair..wife calls it my apartment..;)

13. damnfingers

damnfingers

I built this '49 MG TC to vintage race...then I realized that racing costs more money per year than I have to spare...now it's simply a wannabe.

Attached Files:

14. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

That MG is fantastic..love to hear that puffer..

Is that the 1249cc..or punched ..?

15. damnfingers

damnfingers

Originally 1250...now 1388. It's getting a new engine this year so it will get a bit bigger...original 1500's are hard to find and I don't want to drill for water.

16. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

17. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

18. Dynoroom

Dynoroom

Here's a few. I've got more at the shop I load tomorrow.

Attached Files:

19. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

20. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

You have an amazing little car. Are there more photos of it posted anywhere? Thanx, Gary

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  22. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

23. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Ferrari P3 or P4? Or P3/4?

24. Buildy

Buildy

25. metalshapes

metalshapes

26. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  27. metalshapes

metalshapes

1966 Ferrari P3

Ferrari V-12

hms-006.jpg

28. Gotta throw in the "big-block Ferrari...
    7 liter Can Am car from 1970. Enzo called it the "wine bottle" engine. He always compared the pistons in his engines to wine glasses, except this one, because they were the size of whole bottles.
    [​IMG]

29. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA