Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Road Tripin'

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OzMerc39, Jan 2, 2021.

1. We all love love to drive our chosen rod whenever we can. Some like to drive them to a show and back, for others there is a limit. Others like to drive them as a daily then also take them to events.

What's your preference ? And do you build a car with any of these specific preferences in mind ?

For me I love to drive weekly when I can, and where possible drive to and from shows within a couple of hours from home base. One of my builds is a daily, because of that it is not a show car by any stretch of the imagination. The other is a monthly. so I like to keep in more show worthy condition.

Merc'39.jpg
    Monthly driver...

2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yes. I was driving my wife to work M-F, 3 miles from home. I wanted something more entertaining than our modern pickup (she's in a wheelchair), and easy enough to get around the mall where she worked.

She's retired now but the Bantam still gets regular errand duty. It's certainly no long distance ride but a perfect around town knocker. And I'm never too far away I can't walk home..

That's not her in the photo btw. :)

20201212_162414_resized.jpg

vtwhead, Stogy, Lil32 and 4 others like this.
  3. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

20200911 Starbird 2.jpg
    Friday Kruise to the the Starbird Museum - Lead Ain't Dead - September 2020. The National Rod & Custom Hall of Fame Museum is in Afton, OK. My customized Volvo is about 1,200 miles into the trip.

https://darrylstarbird.com/

Build you vehicle for road-tripin.

I've been road-tripin old iron for about 20 years. My semi retirement job was a part-time school bus driver (not much pay, fantastic vacation time and good health insurance). Tried to do something "interesting" every summer.

Started with a series of early 1970's Cornbinders (International Harvester pickups and a Scout II. In 2006, towed an small old 5th wheel travel trailer (we think we were the 4th owner) from the Mexican border (Hereford, AZ) to the Canadian border. And points in between... The 5th wheel had hidden wood rot and the sleeping loft began to settle down on hitch (A shout out to Sopko Welding in Seaside, OR for saving our vacation - and charging less than $200 for labor and materials). Had several vapor lock "incidents" on the way home.

Bought a new small 5th wheel after we got home. Had a run of bad luck, the 5th wheel was destroyed in a wind storm (blown against our doublewide trailer) and the IH pickup was totaled (rear ended at speed). Eventually gave up travel trailers (advancing age was a factor) and took motels.

We eventually realized that we would be a long way from home and have a breakdown that required a tow home. The last 2 vehicles are designed to be winched onto a Uhaul auto transport trailer. The off-topic F150 got a 4 cylinder (banger?) Cummins diesel (solved the vapor lock problem). 37 states and 72,000+ miles (2nd speedometer) later, one Uhaul trailer ride (320 miles from home, late Friday afternoon, and a drive shaft U-joint is missing all its rollers - I hauled it home and fixed it my way...).

The Volvo arrive here on a Uhaul trailer. Drove it for a few years. I live Southwest of Tombstone, AZ. The car got some hot rod mods and concessions to old age (bolt-in bigger engine (still a banger), header, Smithy muffler, air conditioning, cruise control, bucket seats and lots of sound and heat insulation). IO yeah - lots of off topic modifications to my cooling system (probably what got my build thread deleted...)

Got the custom bug, prepped the car for body work and Uhauled it to Phoenix for the custom magic. Destroyed 2 electric heat exchanger fans loading the trailer <sigh>.

Help - closeup .jpg
    You need the nicest people under a custom car... <the designated beer holder was absent>

2,500 miles+ this September.

Build your car to be fixed on the road - AND have plan for blowing up a rare motor 2,000 miles from home.

Russ

stillrunners, Lil32, blowby and 2 others like this.
  4. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Most of my trips are short lately, because I haven’t been going anywhere. My last trip of 2020 was Chicago to New Jersey and back, four days on Rt. 30. Broke an alternator belt in Pennsylvania on the way back, otherwise no problems. Have done Power Tour a couple times. My 37 was built to drive.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. I never owned a show car. I just drive the one I'm in the mood for. The Nomad if the wife, or grandkids want ta go. The coupe if I want to be alone!:rolleyes: Lol 236.jpg 114.jpg

6. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I haven't road tripped my shoebox yet but I think I will this summer. My brother lives in Madison. Maybe head there for beers and cheese curds...

Lil32 and OzMerc39 like this.
  7. WOW !!! Some very cool choices there. Family or solo !!! I like it !!!

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  8. Build you vehicle for road-tripin.

I've been road-tripin old iron for about 20 years. My semi retirement job was a part-time school bus driver (not much pay, fantastic vacation time and good health insurance). Tried to do something "interesting" every summer.

Started with a series of early 1970's Cornbinders (International Harvester pickups and a Scout II. In 2006, towed an small old 5th wheel travel trailer (we think we were the 4th owner) from the Mexican border (Hereford, AZ) to the Canadian border. And points in between... The 5th wheel had hidden wood rot and the sleeping loft began to settle down on hitch (A shout out to Sopko Welding in Seaside, OR for saving our vacation - and charging less than $200 for labor and materials). Had several vapor lock "incidents" on the way home.

Bought a new small 5th wheel after we got home. Had a run of bad luck, the 5th wheel was destroyed in a wind storm (blown against our doublewide trailer) and the IH pickup was totaled (rear ended at speed). Eventually gave up travel trailers (advancing age was a factor) and took motels.

We eventually realized that we would be a long way from home and have a breakdown that required a tow home. The last 2 vehicles are designed to be winched onto a Uhaul auto transport trailer. The off-topic F150 got a 4 cylinder (banger?) Cummins diesel (solved the vapor lock problem). 37 states and 72,000+ miles (2nd speedometer) later, one Uhaul trailer ride (320 miles from home, late Friday afternoon, and a drive shaft U-joint is missing all its rollers - I hauled it home and fixed it my way...).

The Volvo arrive here on a Uhaul trailer. Drove it for a few years. I live Southwest of Tombstone, AZ. The car got some hot rod mods and concessions to old age (bolt-in bigger engine (still a banger), header, Smithy muffler, air conditioning, cruise control, bucket seats and lots of sound and heat insulation). IO yeah - lots of off topic modifications to my cooling system (probably what got my build thread deleted...)

Got the custom bug, prepped the car for body work and Uhauled it to Phoenix for the custom magic. Destroyed 2 electric heat exchanger fans loading the trailer <sigh>.

View attachment 4929380
    You need the nicest people under a custom car... <the designated beer holder was absent>

2,500 miles+ this September.

Build your car to be fixed on the road - AND have plan for blowing up a rare motor 2,000 miles from home.

Russ[/QUOTE]

You are absolutely correct Russ.... got to carry some spares... and have a plan. Essentials to ole skool motoring.

G

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  9. I agree... just going places in old cars makes me smile. Especially when I imagine the conversations that occur in other cars when they see you.

210superair likes this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I though road tripping in your old car was what it was all about. If I turn right going out the driveway There is a coffee shop run by the nuns at the Monastery 35.7 miles to the south that makes some seriously great coffee and some fantastic Greek pastries. Fill the mug there and then off down the road to poke around the yard sales in the next town to the south if time allows.

210superair, OzMerc39 and Lil32 like this.
  11. Ken Smith

Ken Smith
    Alliance Vendor

I drive this as often as I can. It's a daily driver and sometimes a show. This is on a drive in the mountains of central Idaho last summer. IMG_5702.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    210superair, i.rant, CME1 and 7 others like this.
  12. Lil32

Lil32

just come back from monthly coffee run
    100+ cars
    ETba12_1894_p.jpg

Sandgroper, charleyw, da34guy and 2 others like this.
  13. jim snow

jim snow

We usually do one road trip a year. Didn’t in 2020 due to the situation we are all in. Hopefully this year we will be able to go somewhere. Snowman

OzMerc39, Lil32 and David Gersic like this.
  14. I love going for a drive- the longer the better.This past year messed that up. Borders closed and shows canceled kept me pretty close to home-still managed a couple thousand miles-hopefully this year will be better. Can’t beat going for a drive in an old car-even a short drive is like a mini vacation.

15. Basically how I've always checked out my OT builds with a 3 or 4 hour trip - although my stock Studebaker has made that 3 or 4 hour trip to Austin. A flathead shake down is in my future though...........

OzMerc39 and Lil32 like this.
  16. rusty valley

rusty valley

my parents took many, many road trips. i think it becomes hereditary at that point. most people in my family are "mapahaulics", there's always a road map within reach. my seat in the beginning as the baby, was the back window shelf of the 53 olds. i had a 38 chev with a datsun 6 cly that was my daily driver for years in the 80's, went all over the USA. my 31 A coupe gets driven all winter, and the roadster all summer, but sadly, i have not taken any long trips in the old cars. its on the list now that last summer i told them "take this job and shove it"