Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Road Racing hot rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by foolthrottle, Aug 16, 2016.

1. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Anyone interested in a historic road race Panamericana style? 1000 miles on pavement beginning in Tiajauna and ending in Cabo San Lucas or wherever you make a serious mistake. Open to vintage cars to 1973 as well as modern car all with proper safety equip. Rally Historico Transpeninsular

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

3. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

My understanding is a tour group without the safety equipment. This race is in its formative stages and larger groups of cars, say 5 roadsters, 5 Buick and so on would be given special consideration. or a club involvement. or thats the way I got it. The roads (from video) look to be in good shape and fast.

4. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Everyone always says the Carrera Panamericana is on there bucket list. Heres a road race you might actually stand a chance of winning. Years ago when the Pan Am first started it wasen't all the famous racers and 250k studabakers and mustangs it is now.

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

^ I beg to differ. LOTS and LOTS of famous drivers, car builders and mfgs tried it and their reputations / advertising / sales based on it. Why do you think Porsche makes Carreras? Gary

6. SR100

SR100

Gary, FoolThrottle is referring to the Carrera revival. In the early days (late 80s to early 90s), a lightly prepared, but otherwise stock, car could be competitive. Now the Carrera website says that "The fastest class, Turismo Mayor (coupes and sedans), runs NASCAR level engines (up to 366 c.i. for V8s), semi-tubed bodies, coil-over suspensions, long trailing-arm or multi-link rear suspensions, etc. They are purpose-built racing cars that just look like old cars."
    Looking at the rules for the RHT (Rally Histórico Transpeninsular), they seem to be somewhat tighter, particularly about engines, but with no rules about how much of the original chassis or monocoque must remain, I expect the fastest cars will be prepared to the nines and will be more or less 'purpose-built racing cars that just look like old cars.'

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Ok... but. I guess I'd prefer another approach to these kinds of vintage events - more of a spirited drive when the road allowed and just a great cruise all other times. Stop and smell the roses, or the canyon view now and then. But there just HAS to be a trophy, eh? I mean, if there was more than one way to get water out of a faucet, does someone have to make it a sporting event, start a club, create a newsletter, charge membership fees? I'd love to do the Coker "race" some day, but I'd rather just run the course with the rally clock turned off and just enjoy the drive, sights, people and cars. Gary

Racer29 likes this.
  8. Hellfish

Hellfish

The race was first ran from 1950-1954 aka the early days. It was killed after many, many safety problems. It wasn't run again until the first revival in 1988. The early days were dominated by factory-sponsored cars, but privateers ran also.

9. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

If someone wanted to get started road racing in Mexico this one might be a good place to start