Register now to get rid of these ads!

Road Devils CC Event "HELL ON WHEELS" Hot rods/Drag Races June 28. Mark your Calendar

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldsrocket, Feb 28, 2008.

1. <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Newark Newspaper coverage

Hell On Wheels

HEBRON -- The dark clouds loomed most of Saturday around National Trail Raceway, but it had no effect on Pat Brown.

"The dark clouds kicked our butt, but the hard-line hot-rodders are here," said Brown, national president of the Road Devils Car Club.

Even with the shoddy conditions, a strong crowd -- including the well-represented Road Devils Car Club -- showed up for the first "Hell on Wheels" at NTR.

The nostalgia-heavy event at the track, which received plenty of organizing help from the Road Devils, featured racing, music, a car show -- and, of course, rain. It caused several delays, but it couldn't finish off the night.

The burnout and flamethrower contest started after the rain let up, and the crowd waited around as well, all positive signs for a show hoping to have found a permanent home.

"We had a lot of people and we had a lot of fun," Road Devils member Jon Lageman said. "People got to make multiple passes, so you couldn't be disappointed. First-year shows are iffy, but we had a lot of people here."

Members from as far as Wyoming and New Jersey showed up for the event, not surprising Brown or any of the members.

"This is designed as a family," Brown said. "I can look at any of these guys and tell you the names of everyone in their family. It's a giant, messed up family."

It's exclusive to older and American-made cars, but those are the only rules in the freewheeling group.

Everything from national champion hot rods -- "Jade Grenade" and several other record-holding dragsters from the 1950s and '60s were on display -- to beat-up classics passed through the gates at NTR.

Lageman said it's that unique touch that makes the group stand out. But it's the one common trait of enjoying classic cars and hot rods that brought everyone together.

"We learned from our fathers and grandfathers," Brown said. "This is everyday life and family tradition for us."

NTR general manager Jim Layton said it was a good day, especially considering the weather and the initial forecast.

But the track almost used this year's event as a trial run and didn't have to put much finances or resources into making it successful.

Layton, however, saw the event as one to build around in the future.

"We started the day with an 80 percent chance of rain, so I think we've got a good base to build from," Layton said. "The Road Devils Car Club really made this happen. It wasn't a bad turnout, and there's a lot of neat cars."

It will be the focal event of the track's 45th anniversary in 2009, when NTR will honor hundreds of former employees.

On Saturday, it honored nine of the original 18 members of the track's first crew in 1964. In 2009, a more elaborate celebration will be in store, and Layton said the Road Devils' love of car history should make for a perfect combination.

"There's a lot of neat nostalgia," Layton said. "The Road Devils are big into it and they did a lot of legwork.

"They've got a different outlook on motorsports, but they're out there having fun."

The Road Devils have been part of large shows in Las Vegas, but this is the biggest show for them in this region.

"We're blessed to have this track," Lageman said. "I don't see how it couldn't get bigger."

Josh Hachat can be reached at (740) 328-8557 or [email protected].

2. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

hope once everybody shakes off their hangovers we start to see some pictures....

3. Artie B

Artie B

Thanks Pat and the Road Devils for putting on a great show. Like we discussed there I think rain is going to be a tradition. We had a great time!! Looking forward to the next one. Major kool points to the trophy builders....

[​IMG]

My favorite car of the show!!

[​IMG]

4. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

Had a real good time Saturday. We were there early in the AM and stayed 'till the last dog was hung. The humidity got a little heavy at times but it's been that way everywhere this season. Everybody around me won one of those really cool trophies. A lot of thought and time went into those bad boys. Been going to that track for the big NHRA race this time of year since the early 70's and been wet a little about every year. The tradition continues. Hope to come back again, it's a great place to play.

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Anyone have any more photos? How about a few of the drag racin'.

6. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

Yeah wot she said!! show some of the digger's and altereds that were there......

Maybe next year if its around the same time we can coordinate with the Cinematic so all can enjoy both events the same weekend.

7. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Here are a couple I took between showers not the best but you get the idea.

Attached Files:

8. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

9. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

This is all I got early morn.....then the rains came.....then I hit the Cinematic! Enjoy:D!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

............did no one else have a camera?!?