Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roach Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by superchargednailhead, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Steve

Steve

damn I was trying to find the pictures from the norcal hambbq where sam trailered the roach rod to. we pushed him around the parking lot in it cause it wasn;t running yet. I can't find them though

2. Yes, but from what I gather reading ElPs and Miles replys, the Roach Rod is getting rebuilt , the body is getting finished off the way Sam wanted, bellypan and all.........Miles, is using the engine and some of the running gear to build an ENTIRELY NEW car. I think we come out ahead in the end, the RR gets redone in a way the original owner wanted and Miles builds a new HAMB icon.

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Wait, so HAMBers are rebuilding the car? That makes me feel a little better I guess... Still sucks, but maybe they will keep us involved.

Gotta keep reminding myself that these guys OWN the car. They bought it... It's theirs...

4. Get the dash out of there and onto Ryan's wall I say (HAMBer chip in to BUY it if neccessary), but apart from that it's not Sam's car anymore, and I look forward to seeing the new version. The original Roach Rod will always exist in our folklaw...and some things are better left that way.

ANYONE WHO RECKONED An UNFINISHED CAR SUCH AS THE ROACH ROD WOULDN'T CHANGE AT ALL AFTER BEING SOLD-ON IS SILLY AND NAIVE.

Just get that dash back! Cos THAT would mean nothing in a redone rod IMHO.

And geez guys, why all the Fucking fucking hate. Some of you need some chill pills or a good root.

cheers

MAIKI

5. FWilliams

FWilliams

there was a standing offer on that dash, it was alot of money, it was passed on, whoever owns the body now wants to talk business, please get a hold of me via email

Fred

6. Antibilly

Antibilly

ok ok ok words out I traded the Green Bean, El Poncherello and El Mosquito for the Roach Rod body!
    there are ya happy

7. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Anyone that knows MilesM and El Polacko know that it is in good hands. El P's forgotten more about hot rodding than most of us will ever know. I think Miles could have driven his wagon to the moon and back (slight exaggeration) with the amount of miles he's put on it.

I got to admit, though, if I didn't know them, I might be a little disappointed. This might help relax you guys...

Attached Files:

8. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

I, for one, don't doubt ElP's skills or vision for building a cool rod. That is not at all the point I was trying to make.

There are a lot of cool rods that need to be build, but this one already was one of them.

9. just steve

just steve
    Member Emeritus

Too much Drama, guys.

The Roach Rod was an inspiration. The best way to remember/honor/mourn it or whatever, it to BUILD YOUR OWN VERSION! Take what you got and build a down-and-dirty RockyRoach-style hot rod. Something that'll make old ladies reach over and lock their passenger side door at a stoplight. Something that'll make lots of noise and smoke and do brodies at the mash of a throttle. Something that will be FUN.

I was a little stung at first when I saw it apart (riding in it last summer was a HIGHLIGHT of my hot rod life), but hey, the new owner can do what he wants. If I wanted it hermetically sealed, I shoulda bought it. And if these guys are as cool as ElPolacko says, maybe we'll end up with two inspiring cars that have Roachy DNA.

later.

Steve.

10. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Why is this drama? Pretty much just everybody expressing opinions about a hot rod, what it has been, and what it may turn into.

I think the discussion of the Roach Rod and "important" cars is good as long as there is minimum name calling and such.

But I'm just a Fundamentalist Dork, Texas Chapter.;)

11. slammed

slammed

Hooo-we. May I suggest a H.A.M.B. Hall of Fame? I here by nominate this car, formally known as Roach Rod. How about imortalizing it by putting it the artwork for a HAMB T-shirt? And the Dork issue: I'm a Militant-Romantic-Iron Worshipper in the gym and the garage. That said, time to lift. Get in the ring.

12. Slide

Slide

Sorry if someone else already said this, but I read the thread and didn't see it:

What if Sam never sold the car, but made "updates" himself... like paint, upholstery, changing to kelsey wires or something, etc. I bet some of yall woulda been hi-five-ing him. (Tho there would be a few pissed off anyways.)

Just something to think about. :rolleyes:

13. I dont care who's hands its in buy a chassis not a cover car !!!!! wtf that is lame

14. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

........no doubt Miles & El Polocko will build a really neat vehicle AND it IS Miles' vehicle to do with as he pleases.........BUT, Sam, I wish you had sold it to the Japanese. THEY would appreciate it for what it was and would have left it alone..........:eek:

15. I have no doubt that elpolako will build a sweet ass ride but skate fink is right this car in a short time has mucho history you cant f-ck with that

16. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

I feel for sam, but it will probably be easier to just let it go. Remember the good times man!

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've come full circle. It's not our car... and its not like we are Hot Rod Magazine... And Elp builds one hell of a nice car. Yeah, it sucks... but I don't think we have a right to be mad or emotional...

I still want that dash though...

18. Hmph! I just hope it comes out nice!

19. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I am going to disagree to a certain extent. Emotion = passion. The majority of us here live and breath cars. It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle. The Roach Rod was our ambassador to the the mega buck billet crowd and delivered a neat little "fuck you" to the high dollar street rod portion of the street rod industry.

Yeah, you can argue, "it's just a car" but to me and to alot of other people I know, they are NOT just cars. They are members of the family.

The birth of these two cars from the Roach Rod may yield two cars that are equally important. Or maybe not. They will have alot to live up to.

20. A Boner

A Boner

Funny thing, I've been around long enough to see plenty of HOT RODS that were "improved" by someone, then returned to their original look by someone who appreciated the historical significance of a "milestone" hot rod!
    I think it is best to build a new hot rod rather than change an original. That way there are 2 hot rods on the road, instead of 1 "improved" one!
    There can never be too many hot rods on the road!
    JUST MY OPINION.

21. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

22. Quote....Yeah, you can argue, "it's just a car" but to me and to alot of other people I know, they are NOT just cars. They are members of the family.

Sam sold his family, then. ;)

23. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Sam's a dick for selling his family!

Hows that for drama!

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I can see both sides. I'm conflicted.

My official stance is that this sucks and I want that dash or I want Sam to have that dash - one or the other.

25. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

Wow, a bummer! At least it will be used for something. So, who's building the Roach Rod clone?

26. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

On my lunch break....I will read the 6 pages later. But what about the Rocky 33', What ever happened to it? I even borrowed an idea for "The Nelson Boys" model A from it. Big piece of wire to the carb.........

Also, save the dash of the former roach.

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

27. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

That's the same as defacing a shrine, and the penalty should be the same.

Frank

28. I'll probably get flamed hard for this, but if I bought a shrine, I could paint the motherfucker puce metalflake if I wanted, and if I liked it, I wouldn't give a crap about all the whiny-butts boo-hooing about it. My tag-line says it all.

29. My initial reaction was going to be... "THAT'S FUCKED!", but after reading all 6 pages (so far), I'm a little bit more comfortable with it.

I also think it's a shame as it was such a neat car and created a lot of "history" in such a short time. Well done Sam.

Regardless, I'm sure BOTH of the new cars will be HAMB-a-rific. :)

Just make sure you keep us posted ElP.

30. Save the dash. Send it to Ryan and I'll pitch in for shipping.

Don't send it to Sam, if he wanted it he would have kept it.

My 2¢