Register now to get rid of these ads!

Riv leaks like a Siv

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by erock805, Jun 5, 2011.

1. erock805

erock805

So for whatever reason my 65 riv has some good flowin leaks. A tranny leak, a steering fluid leak and an oil leak that I have seen so far. I havent looked for a water leak but I bet I could find one.

Here is my question. How do I fix the steering leak? rebuild the box? see images....

The tranny leak is coming heavily from the mph cable (see image). Is there a seal in there? Never had this one come up either.

As always your help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. F&J

F&J

The P/S box leak. I have done a few on later 60s to early 80s GM pickups. Looks like maybe the same seal kits.. Gates makes an input seal kit and and output seal kit. The local parts stores claimed they were no longer available, but I found both at Rockauto.com.

3. erock805

erock805

thanks for the info...

4. erock805

erock805

5. erock805

erock805

hell oriellys has a whole box for 116. I think I will take a stab at sealing up mine. If I screw it up...i can put in a new one....

Anybody got anything on the speedometer cable leak?

6. F&J

F&J

If just the upper shaft is leaking by the rag joint, you only need to replace the upper seal. Very common to do just that one. It is a fairly easy job.

There should be a fairly flat outer dust seal first, then the much thicker actual oil seal under that. Either a hook type seal puller to get them out, or I have heard of using sheet metal screws and then pull with vice grips. Use a thin ice pick to make the screw holes...look at the new seal to see where to use the screws.

I believe there is just one snap ring under the first dust seal. There should be a diagram with the kit to show the seals etc

You really don't want to take the entire box apart.

EDIT: If just the upper seals at the rag joint: Just remove the rag joint off of the box splines. Then you can get to both of those seals. Don't take off that huge hex nut, just fish the seals out after cleaning off all the dirt and sand. Use a piece of pipe or big deep socket to install the new seal without denting/bending it.

The lower seal at the ouput/pitman arm: Just take off the pitman arm, and find a way to pull the oil seal out.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  7. Deuces

Deuces

The speedo cable from the trans end needs an oring seal... That one there is a fast fix!

8. erock805

erock805

Thanks guys... I really appreciate the info.

9. erock805

erock805

I am looking at the manual and see an oring seal on the speedometer unit that comes off with a half inch bolt. is there another oring seal that fits between the the male screw in fiting on the trans to the cable? It is leaking from where the cable goes into the speedometer unit on the trans. In fact I found a crack in the cable a foot away from the the trans mount and it is leaking fluid from there as well.

Cant find a pic of a seal between the cable and the speedomter unit on the trans.

10. erock805

erock805

it seem I have an oil leak coming from the dip stick as well. any ideas there? I believe I already put in a new pcv valve....