Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rip off alert - Doug Goucher / Cowtown Speed Shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tj, Sep 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tj

tj

Worked a deal for a pair of 33/34 running boards on The Ford Barn. Sent a check, cashed and cleared. Will be a month on the 8th - no response in any form or fashion.
    Doug Goucher
    36002 E State B Hwy.
    Garden City, MO.
    816-886-2239
    816-356-6052
    816-365-2136
    [email protected]

2. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

I assume you've called him. What did he say?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

4. tj

tj

No answer or disconnected number. Also sent PM's and E-mail...

5. tj

tj

Yes - I would have checked him on the HAMB but this was on the Ford Barn he's listed under "32coupe".

6. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Who lives near Garden City?

7. Yeah, this is getting real old. Someone needs to knock on this guy's door, with brass knuckles.

1927graham likes this.
  8. tj

tj

There's a vendor next to me in Daytona Turkey Rod for the last 18 years from KC that I'll reach out to. I don't mind making a donation to a good cause like "Make A Wish" or "Victory Junction Gang" but just want to keep another HAMB'r from being ripped off. Thanks, TJ

Saxman likes this.
  9. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

If you mailed that check, the post office would be interested in investigating, in addition to the local police.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Get in touch with the local police. Have them check him out, dont take no for an answer!

11. tj

tj

Yes I did mail it. The thread that "lodaddyo" listed gave me more info - I'll try [email protected] and the 816-365-2136 number again. Seems like he may be an alright guy just having problems.

12. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I dunno. I keep seeing references to Cowtown, none good. I wouldn't send him any money.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

14. Gman0046

Gman0046

Not the first time this Douche Bag has ripped of Hambers. There have been previous threads about Goucher ripping folks off.
    Buyers should use the search function before giving away their hard earned money.

Gary

15. tj

tj

Used the E-mail found on a previous post on the HAMB. Doug E-mailed me and said he'd get the parts shipped out today. Hopefully this all works out. Thanks again HAMB, TJ

16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

He was last on the HAMB on 8/20/16
    upload_2016-9-6_21-42-58.png

17. Speed~On

Speed~On

"David Gersic, post: 11682582, member: 261209"]I dunno. I keep seeing references to Cowtown, none good. I wouldn't send him any money.

HAMBers Gman0046 and David Gersic are correct. There was quite a dramatic thread on the HAMB a few months ago concerning this exact topic regarding Cow Town Speed Shop. Multiple HAMBers chimed in stating they had the same experience with him as well. It's unfortunate this is how he chooses to run a business; and rip off members of the HAMB!!! At this point I think it would be wise to never do business with Cowtown.

kidcampbell71 and Max Gearhead like this.
  18. Yup it is becoming a recurring theme here. Seems like he waits until someone makes a big enough stink about not getting their stuff and then ships. Like he is hoping most will just forget about their money and write it off as a bad deal.

PunkAssGearhead88 likes this.
  19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I bought some stuff from Doug Goucher a while back, a pair of '32 spindles and a 40's ford fuel filler door. He was slow, difficult to communicate with sometimes, and sent me a tracking number that didn't work, but he DID send my parts, and they were as described.
    He may be a bit disorganized, he may not be that great about responding to pm's and emails in a timely fashion, and he may be a bit of a procrastinator, so you can decide based on that whether he is someone you want to do business with.
    But, based on my experience at least, he is not a thief, and certainly not a "douchebag". Any of the people calling him names actually done business with him and been ripped off, or just jumping on the bandwagon? Other than my one transaction with him, I don't really know the guy from Adam, but some of this just rubs me the wrong way. And Doug, your name is coming up frequently in this context, maybe you need to get the message and tighten up your act a bit, at least work on communication maybe.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  20. No he lives in Indepence.

There used to be a guy on here up near Detroit or one of those places. he was slow to act. he always sent his stuff out but it was like pulling teeth. He always said he was too busy to leave the shop. I finally onetime went online with UPS and had them pickup at his shop. :D

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

He lives in depends?? Man, is THIS what we have to look forward to??!!:eek::D

OG lil E, Spoggie and deadbeat like this.
  22. I was raised in the South and was taught early in life my word is my bond and I'm basically a trusting person but there seems to be a growing segment of society that for some reason or another doesn't subscribe to the Golden Rule.

As I have gotten older I have become more cynical.

I still think 97% of the guys here mean to do the right thing when it comes to buying or selling parts but it's that 3% that use the hamb for personal gain and they never intend on sending the parts they sell.HRP

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  23. tfeverrfred, Man I am still laughing my ass off.!!!!!LOL.Bruce.

OG lil E and 1927graham like this.
  24. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The address in Garden City is good for his ex-wife Lisa. The 816-365 number is a cell phone. The 816-356 number is a local phone number for the Raytown area. The 816-886 is a Comcast land line number. Both of those land line numbers come back to him. It doesn't sound like he's trying to hide.

Kan Kustom likes this.
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I am not aware of every transaction he has done, but as far as what I have seen on the HAMB, I haven't heard of this guy actually ripping anyone off. Every thread that I have seen, the guy ends up getting his parts, eventually. I am not trying to justify the fact that he doesn't communicate well or that he takes 6-8 weeks to get off his ass and ship things, but that doesn't make him a thief.
    Is there anyone on here that still has NO parts say 4-6 months later? In other words, that he has actually "ripped off", taken their money and NEVER shipped anything?
    Or is he being called a thief for procrastinating and shipping late? I agree, procrastinating and shipping late isn't right, and its a pain in the ass, and it causes anxiety( trust me I know about the anxiety, it took damn near two months for my stuff to arrive, part of that was Canada Customs) but theres a WORLD of difference between that and being a thief.
    Like I say, I am not in love with the guy, and with the lack of communication I experienced, I don't think I would buy from him again, but if I see someone being treated unfairly and on the receiving end of a "lynch mob" mentality, I'm gonna stick up for him, regardless of my personal feelings, and whether it makes people dis-like me or not.
    Unless theres someone on here that has NEVER received their parts, calling him a thief just because everyone else is doing it is not on, IMO.

volvobrynk, Kan Kustom and kiwijeff like this.
  26. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

If, after several weeks of no parts and the buyer sending emails and/or leaving messages and texts that go unanswered, one would only bet they're in the process of being ripped off.
    When someone advertises something for sale (on the HAMB or anywhere), it's implied that the seller is also prepared to ship the item within a "reasonable" amount of time. Once the seller receives payment from the buyer, he should follow through with his half of the obligation and ship within about a week.
    If something comes up and the seller can't ship within a week or so, he is the party that should initiate contact with the buyer so the buyer doesn't start to wonder if he's being ripped off. It would be the cool thing to do. It shouldn't be on the buyer to try to track down the seller for his parts or a refund (uncool). Sure, people get busy. How long does it take to type; "I'm very sorry, but I'm having some personal issues and will need some extra time to ship your parts. Just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten our deal"?

If the buyer posts the parts for sale and knows damn well up front that his life is way too busy, lazy or drunk to possibly get the parts out in reasonable time, he should either spell that out up front or maybe wait until a better time for him (and the buyer) to list the parts. I've seen ads where the buyer states shipping will be delayed because they're a full time student and work, or that the parts are off site in the Country. Fine, just state that up front and let the prospective buyer make a buying decision.

95 out of 100 people would follow this suit just by nature.

I only had one time where a HAMBER took forever to ship me a part. On my 3rd call after 6 weeks, I asked when he thought he could finally ship the part? His answer was "yeah, I've been busy, I guess I'll have to get around to it this week sometime" It was as if he was driving out to my place on his day off to drop a couple of trees for free or something. Seemed as though shipping the part was #53 on his top 10 things to do list. Zero sense of urgency.

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Funny thing is, its not the op calling him a thief or a douchebag, and its usually not on these threads. Uncool?? I agree, 100%. Should he answer emails. Pretty sure I said that. Thief? Douchebag?? Not acceptable in my book.
    My guess is that if he had taken ANYONES money and not sent the parts eventually, Ryan would have booted him by now.

Kan Kustom likes this.
  28. all....you advertise something for sale - someone sends a check-money order-pay pal or cash ? - and said seller cashes it - there has to be a reasonable amount of time - say a week or a little day or two - not including winter months - that what you bought should show up....communication is key....we all have friends - wife's or others....that can do that !

falcongeorge likes this.
  29. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I have seen the way he responds to people on these threads and the people he should be apologizing to for being so slow ,...I think he defiantly comes across as a douche, probably narcissistic also..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.