Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest RIP Neil Armstrong

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostforawhile, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had just got home after getting out of the Army in Texas when he did the moon walk.

Quite the gent.

2. That must have been amazing,,,,its awesome just to think about it when being young like that.

3. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I remember as a kid in the 70's I had all the space stuff, the moon rocket cardboard pieces that hung on the wall, the models hanging up, posters, I even had plastic "moon" rocks. We had better Heroes back then then today's kids

4. god bless you neil armstrong. You have done so much here on earth for mankind, now it's time for you to rest with our lord. :)

5. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

May God bless you and take care of you, you are a true american hero. I was on the team that helped design that Hot Rod you rode to the moon. Thanks for driving.

6. Deuces

Deuces

Hope he's enjoying that last ride into the skies...:(

7. I got my picture taken with him too in around 1994 or so. He was on the board of directors where I was working at the time.

Bob

8. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Modest, trailblazing mofo. RIP

9. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]

That was an era when America was truly great and nothing was impossible.

It's unimaginable to me the courage it took to climb inside that craft.

It happened just a few days before my 9th birthday and it was an honor and a privelidge to witness it...I will never forget it,

RIP Mr. Armstrong

10. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got out of the Army in Feb 1968 and shortly after went to work at White Sands Test Facility near Las Cruces NM in their testing lab. We tested all of the non metallic materials going into the spacecraft for flammability and odor. All of those guys that were in the Apollo Project were gutsy as well as intelligent. Thanks for the memory and also RIP Mr Armstrong.

11. frank spittle

frank spittle

I had the pleasure of seeing him at the Wright Brothers 100 Anniversary Affair at Kitty Hawk in 2003. I must say it was one of the highlights of my life. He did not do many public appearances after his walk on the moon and that made it extra special. R.I.P. Rocketman

12. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Not many people have done or will do what he did. Rip.

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

A true American Hero from a time when positive toughts and goals were dreamt and achieved. Rest In peace Neil Armstrong. Bob

14. Deuces

Deuces

Hope that next shooting star has his name on it...

15. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

This year has been a tough one. Maybe I'm just getting old but it seems that a lot of folks that were my personal heroes, as a youngster, have broken their earthly bounds, so to speak.

R.I.P. Neil. Always a class act.

If ya'll are ever in Wapakoneta, Ohio be sure to check out the Armstrong Air and Space Museum.... http://www.armstrongmuseum.org/

Went there in 1972 when it opened, on a class trip, as an 11 year old kid. Been looking at the moon differently ever since.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  16. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

I was 8 when he walked on the moon and I still remember watching it on TV. He and the other astros had stones like bowling balls to achieve what they did, in the rudimentary craft that they rode in. truley great brave men!

17. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The world has lost a GREAT man.
    Stand Fast for a minutes silence for one of the bravest aviators we shall ever see.

Doc.

18. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

He was born only four hours from where I grew up in Ohio so he was a hero locally as well as internationally

buddy jewel
    "Well, I thought about it later on,
    An' a smile came to my face.
    An' when I tucked her in to bed,
    I got down on my knees an' prayed.

Lord, when I get to Heaven, can I taste the Milky Way?
    "I don't wanna come to visit 'cause I'm comin' home to stay.
    "An' I can't wait to see my family and meet Jesus face to face.
    "An' do you think, Lord, you could use another Angel,
    "To help pour out the rain?"

Mmmm, can I help pour out the rain?"

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  19. ScottV

ScottV

One of my earliest memories is watching the moon landing, and I can say that Neil Armstrong was one of the influences to my decision to serve in The U.S. Air Force. One of my proudest moments was when my parents revealed that they bought a brick with my name on it at the Wright Brothers memorial at Kill Devil Hill/Kitty Hawk. When I finally got to visit there I recall standing looking at my name then looking up and seeing the large monument honoring the moon landing. I felt honored.

RIP American Hero

[​IMG]

20. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Everything else has all been said so I'll just say that to me he was the greatest hero of all time. RIP sir.

21. retiredblue

retiredblue
    from california

I was a Boy Scout and Neil Armstrong was also a Boy Scout, Eagle Scout- he inspired to get my Eagle. He was not only a hero, he and his crew were all American Bad Asses- R.I.P sir.

22. bonesy

bonesy

RIP Mr. Armstrong.

23. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

24. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

don't forget his other hot rod, he's on the dry lakes with it too,well he landed there, took that baby to 3,989 MPH

[​IMG]

25. He was the poster child for America, back when we had pride and leadership.
    RIP Neil Armstrong.

26. Made his mark in the pages of history,time's flying by :(

27. 41woodie

41woodie

On the evening that Armstrong walked on the moon I was at the drive-in theatre with my now wife of 42 years. I had just returned from a tour in Vietnam and was trying to catch up with a life put on hold. I remember we were listening to the car radio and looking up at the moon, sitting in my brand new '69 Fairlane bought with a years earnings while deployed. My God the years have flown and I'm getting old. These men were true heros and a source of great national pride.

28. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

I'll bet it was awesome to have the right stuff !

29. Deuces

Deuces

From 1903 or 1906 too 1969..
    It took us some 63 short years to get off our feet and land on the Moon...

30. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

Only thing not mentioned is he that he could have cashed in on his fame and instead chose to be a man of honor. He will be missed.