Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest RIP ... Dick LaHaie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Dick LaHaie - '60s.jpg
    Richard Ellsworth LaHaie
    January 8, 1942 - December 5, 2018

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    robber, AndersF, dana barlow and 6 others like this.
  2. LaHaie's beginnings are typical of many who enjoy success in drag racing -- he was into cars early.

In 1955, at age 13, LaHaie landed a well-paying job at a home-improvement company. In just three years, he purchased his first car, and it wasn't just a grocery-getter, either -- it was a '48 Mercury coupe. Within three months, he replaced the flathead engine with an Olds V-8.

LaHaie built his own A-frames and did all of the wiring, all at the age of 16 in his mother's driveway. The car was a standard street rod, and LaHaie was a frequent figure at local hangouts.

A year later, he bought a '50 Ford coupe that he raced on the street for a year before dropping in a GranCor 296-cid flathead and a 4.10-geared overdrive transmission.

After that, the ambitious Michigan teen-ager purchased a '53 Ford business coupe that he equipped with a 270-horsepower Corvette engine and four-speed tranny. That car brought to a close his street-racing days and opened the portals to drag racing.

In 1959, Central Michigan Dragway opened its doors, and it didn't take long for the 17-year-old LaHaie to try his luck. In his maiden effort, he won the E/Gas class with a 14.35, 110-mph clocking. It would be the first of many trophies that LaHaie would win at Michigan dragstrips.

LaHaie bought a '55 Oldsmobile the following season, ran it in I/SA, and set a national record. LaHaie raced the car at Detroit Dragway on Tuesday and Friday nights, U.S. 131 on Saturdays, and Onondaga Dragway on Sundays. During one stretch, LaHaie won at those tracks for 14 straight weeks.

After selling the '55 Olds, Dick campaigned a (476-cid Olds-powered) '51 Henry J in 1961 & 1962.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  3. In 1963, LaHaie hooked up with Noah Canfield and Charlie Johnson, two racers who would make a significant change in LaHaie's racing profile.

Canfield and Johnson campaigned the Glass Chariot AA/Modified Fuel Roadster in the Midwest, and LaHaie filled in as a driver when Johnson couldn't make it.

The Canfield and Johnson team moved up to Top Fuel in 1964, and knowing the popularity and booking power of the Glass Chariot, LaHaie ran the operation on his own; his first full-time blown and injected nitro ride.

Dick LaHaie with his 'Glass Chariot' Modified Roadster.jpg
    Dick LaHaie's GLASS CHARIOT ... built around a Logghe chassis
    Trying to bid for national exposure, LaHaie wanted to gain a spot on the popular Drag News Junior Eliminator list. He challenged Gabby Bleeker's roadster first, and when Bleeker forfeited, LaHaie took over the number-six spot and opened the door to go after the number-one Heidelberg team. His first shot ended in disappointment. LaHaie beat them easily in the first round, but broke the crankshaft and could not continue. He got his rematch later in the year and took the win with times of 8.58 and 8.54 to win the number-one spot handily. LaHaie retained that title until the Junior Eliminator class was discontinued a year later.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  4. In 1966, Canfield, Johnson, and LaHaie joined forces again and built a new Top Fueler.

LaHaie had a great year, winning 11 weeks in a row at different tracks. However, at the end of the season, Canfield and Johnson retired, leaving LaHaie on his own.

LaHaie's first move was to join the United Drag Racers Association (UDRA) because he knew some of the best names in drag racing competed in the popular Midwest circuit. LaHaie stayed with UDRA at various levels of involvement through the 1976 season, winning circuit titles in 1970, 1973, and 1976.

LaHaie's Top Fuel Dragster - late '60s.jpg
    photo by Steve Reyes

Dick LaHaie vs Bob Bofysil at Martin.jpg
    photographer unknown

LaHaie - 1970.jpg
    photographer unknown

Dick LaHaie (Allan Brown).jpeg
    photo courtesy of the Michigan Motorsports Hall of Fame

Dragster - LaHaie.JPG
    photographer unknown

Dick LaHaie at Tri City Dragway.JPG
    photographer unknown

LaHaie's Top Fuel Dragster - circa 1970.jpg
    photo by Ed Kilburg

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018

5. Ranchero59

Ranchero59

RIP He was a great racer and builder.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Fordors

Fordors

LaHaie was from the old guard, not only a driver but a builder and tuner too. Godspeed Dick.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang another rodder/racer that I followed years ago. OK this has gone far enough, we have lost our quota of cool guys from years past and the grim reaper has to slack off.
    I can't say much about Dick Lahie except I followed his exploits back in the day. I'd check National Dragster or the race results in Hot Rod for his name to see how he did.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  8. loudbang

loudbang

Yep I used to follow his efforts when I was young. Another good guy heading for the strip in the sky RIP. :(

9. Dick LaHaie - 'Pure Michigan' (by Bob Corcoran).jpg
    "Pure Michigan"
    by Bob Corcoran

10. Deuces

Deuces

Wow, and I thought he passed away years ago.... Guess I was very wrong....
    Rest In Peace Sir.... :(

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. Hutkikz

Hutkikz

12. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Watched Dick LaHaie over the years and one year while attending the GG event in Rhinebeck I see him walking around the grounds. I walked up to him to ask if he would take a picture of my friend, me and him. He said sure we took the picture, chatted a bit and went on our way. My friend Matt Kobel died in an accident a year or two later.

RIP Dick LaHaie.

Pat

13. betable

betable

My dad was a big fan of him. I think he even has a picture somewhere.
    RIP Dick LaHaie!

14. khead47

khead47

Seen him many times at DD. RIP.

15. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Met him at a car cruise in Flushing, MI years back. Had a killer Shoebox Ford custom. Really down to earth guy. He didn't mind that I had a million questions for him. RIP

lowrd and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. mickeyc

mickeyc

LaHaie showed up at the Cajun Natioals one year, not sure which.
    He had a one car car box trailer, a dually pick up. His daughter Kim
    was his crew. They parked in the comp racers area. Very low profile
    I spent a good part of the day watching LaHaie and Kim very methodically go through their race routine preparing
    for rounds. No theatrics or drama, just studied determination.
    Round after round they marched on. When the day was done Dick
    gathered up the Top fuel trophy and loaded up and left! It was a
    tutorial in getting it done. A pleasure to watch.

17. Fordors

Fordors

An earlier post I had made in another thread and now more than ever a fond memory.

18. raven

raven

I watched La Haie for years growing up in the Midwest. I got to watch him and his daughter (whom I had a secret crush on) tune their top fuel digger in the pits at KCI raceway in KC in the late 70’s, early 80’s. Standing that close to the nitro motor when the hit the throttle literally took the air out of my lungs. Made a believer out of me real quick and a deep respect for anyone who could tune that beast as good as he could.
    Miss him as his simple approach to the big show. What’s his daughter Kim up to?
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Sad news. A classy guy who could drive and tune a fuel car. He tuned Scott Kalitta to two top fuel championships.

kidcampbell71 and BigDogSS like this.
  20. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Only met Dick over the phone when he bought product from me. He was pleasant to talk to and wasn't afraid to ask questions about my products. I'll bet he was a real joy to meet and know in person. Another talent lost. RIP

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    HEMI32, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. weeniewawa

weeniewawa

RIP, Sir

Deuces and scotty t like this.
  22. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

R.I.P. Talked to him a few times whil he was with Larry Minor team. And at West Coast custom back to the beach show, He had a car there that Teddy Z (Bill Hines) had done for him. Liked and respected him, and Kim still have a olds had she gave me.

HEMI32, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

wow sad news, i knew dick had some health problems the last few years.he was my hero.used to see him run our home track.he was no b.s, just put you on the trailer.he was friends with my good friend, dave crane who also just passed away.he would come to daves partys, with a different hotrod every year. he was into the hotrods still after hanging up the drag racing. he knew his stuff, he could tune a piano or a hemi! fun to watch with his daughter, or anybody he wrenched for. will sure be missed... rip dick

24. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

R.I.P Mr. LaHaie.

Deuces likes this.
  25. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

We raced him a number of times in the 80's and early 90's. He bought some special tools I manufactured back then too. A good honest racer.

Deuces likes this.
  26. Always got the impression that Dick LaHaie was sort of cut from the same cloth as Pete Robinson. Innovative, but not flashy. Intense, but without the drama. A racer's racer. :cool:

Plus it was always good to have a midwestern driver to cheer for wherever he was racing from coast to coast. ;)

chryslerfan55, Fordors and Deuces like this.
  27. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Ran into Dick a few times in the recent past. Kalamazoo and Goodguys Joliet meets. Driving his killer 50 Merc two door wagon. Once he knew ya weren't a complete idiot, he talked on and on about fuel racing. That was memorable. Told the story of being at the Pomona swap meet very early in the morning, and spotted familiar crates in the back of a van. Guy was unloading stuff to sell. Well, long story short, a complete new old stock, in the original crates Ardun kit. Said it was destined for his 34 Ford coupe. I said to myself, an Ardun built by Dick LaHaie, what could be cooler.
    R.I.P. Mr. LaHaie

chryslerfan55, Fordors and Deuces like this.
  28. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

29. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Too damn young, RIP.

30. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

HEMI 32 GOT MY ATTENTION ON THIS, I WAS TOLD THIS STORY BY THE LATE MR CRANE,MR CANFIELD, AND MR JOHNSON HAD THIS YOUNG KID,HANGING AROUND THE DOOR TO THE SHOP, ALWAYS WANTING TO WATCH WHAT WAS GOING ON WITH THESE GUYS AND THIS WILD LOOKING CAR. THERE EVERYDAY JUST WATCHING, HOPING TO HEAR SOME NOISE. AFTER MANY DAYS, THE GUYS IN THE SHOP TOLD HIM ,IF YA WANT TO HANG AROUND, GRAP A BROOM! THE YOUNG KID WAS IN!!! AFTER A SHORT WHILE THEY COULD SEE THIS KID WAS SERIOUS. LONG STORY SHORT, DICK RECIEVED HIS FIRST DRAG CAR, FROM CANFIELD AND JOHNSON, WHEN THE OLD CAR WAS RETIRED. I WAS LUCKY TO MEET NOAH AND MR JOHNSON, THEY WERE FIRST CLASS GUYS. AND WE KNOW HOW DICK TURNED OUT.

chryslerfan55 and Hamtown Al like this.