Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ring Gap Orientation?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by treb11, Jun 5, 2017.

1. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Assembling my SBC and the installation guides at my disposal (not GM) show either front-to-back or top-to -bottom orientations of the ring gaps and oil ring spacer ends.
    Which, if any, is better / preferable ? I can see a shadow of a line in my bores (honed only) where the previous ring gap rode.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn't put them exactly where they were before. I know there are some charts around showing the best way to put them but I don't remember following one. I usually try to not have them over the wrist pin holes and usually stay at what would be 10, 2, 4 and 8 oclock location wise or reasonably close to that.

flux capacitor likes this.
  3. Just stagger them apart 180 degrees from each other. All the diesel overhauls I have done just get installed like that and I've never had a problem. Often times the rings will rotate in operation anyway

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

tractorguy likes this.
  4. Do not put any gap on the thrust side of the piston. Stagger them as you chose around the rest of the circumference.

5. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with Mr48Chev....ive built literally dozens and dozens of motors as a diesel mechanic on everything from motorcycles, cars, trucks and including locomotives. try not to line up with wristpin holes and on three ring pistons 10-2-6 o'clock spacing, on 4 ring pistons 10-2-4-8 o'clock spacing has always worked just peachy keen.

6. tractorguy and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^ yep that's it. Oil rings don't move for me that much but that's why I liked C&A Zero gap..

8. What is the reasoning here?

9. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Some say the gap on the thrust side will try to gouge the cylinder, leaving a vertical ridge in the wall. Others say the rings will move around anyway, and that it makes no difference.