Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rick Dore’s 36 Ford “Tangerine Dream"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by txskinney, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. txskinney

txskinney
    from West Texas

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  2. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

wow, weird to see that car like that, Rick once threatened to stuff me in the trunk of that car for giving him shit about his engine choice. Rick's son was one of my best friends in high school and i practically lived at their house, i got to see a lot of cool shit go in and out of that garage. make sure to post some pics of it finished.

3. Great thanks for sharing. Is it being repainted the Tangerine?

4. Retroline

Retroline

Hard to believe it needed to be freshened up..or is it just a color change? Purple? Keep us updated please.

5. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

WOW,,what color this time?I see some purple on there

6. txskinney

txskinney
    from West Texas

The car was showing some wear, front fenders were cracked and he is updating the suspension and drive-train. The shop he had it at before us painted the purple but the owner has changed his mind. He is thinking about a two-tone paint job maybe Silver and red. I will post updates

7. Curt Six

Curt Six

Sounds like somebody else needs to be stuffed in a trunk...

8. 296ardun

296ardun

X2---(not my car, owner's choice, but two-tone on a chopped custom (?))

9. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The '36 is my all time favorite Rick Dore kustom, I was wondering what happen
    to it. Good luck with the choice of color, can't wait to see it finished.

10. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Does my ol' heart good to hear that even the "pros" experience bodywork problems...

R-

11. God no kidding. Good way to wreck a great car.

12. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

DAMN I was looking forward to purple..wasn't this bad ass ride blue at one time?

13. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't remember blue..

Attached Files:

14. Curt Six

Curt Six

I remember that layout from Street Rodder (probably about 10 or 12 years ago?)...that car always blew me away. If you're going to build a new style custom (traditional styling without all the rules of a period build), this thing is the way to do it.

15. With that paint and some 20" Billet wheels he ought to be able to get $400,000 + for it at Barret Jackson next year hahahaha:D

16. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

'Silver & Red Dream' doesn't roll off the tongue so well :)
    I should reserve judgement until seen, but the two-tone combo smells like 'streetrod' to me.
    That car was a big inspiration back when I first started my car - there weren't many fat fender customs around back then.

17. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great advice Cleatus, I was thinking the same thing.

18. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Silver and Red? Oh God no!

19. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Oh no, heaven forbid...that's worse than flat blak and red wheels...
    yeah, "we" really wouldn't want to turn such a tangerine-colored '36 into a "street rod."

Prolly a good thing the new owner didn't ask the HAMB collective...

R-

20. demmals7ytriht

demmals7ytriht
    from Speer lane

I agree with the mass, that's just not a two tone car.........

21. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I know Roger, I know... you LIKE two tone paint. ;) :D

No one said anything about it being flat black with red wheels.

22. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

It has nothing to do with me Chad...I've had my share of single color cars, BTW, and still do (my '55 Caddy is only the second two-toned car I've owned) ...it's just that the HAMB collective "thinks" the new owner can't do anything "correct" with regard to paint...

I seem to recall that the HAMB collective dissed pastel colored paint on any car...and they still do...and yet, pastel-colored cars came from the factory that way...I now wonder what "Tangerine" is considered.

The point with the flat black comment was that most of the HAMBer's here seem to think that's the color that was on hot rods those many years ago...which it was not...gray was the primary color...and only in spots where body work had been performed...and then it was only there until a shiny coat was put on. Flat black was only around when the sun's rays finally killed a shiny blak paint job...and then in most cases, the paint was an embarassment.

R-

23. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

the car looks like its going 80 while standing still, you'll break that up with two tone paint

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would tend to believe that a lot of the cars guys see in old photos where they think they were flat black weren't flat black at all but dark blue, Dark green or some other dark color that showed up as black in the black and white photos from the time and looked flat because the lacquer may not have had a fresh coat of wax that week. Dad's dark blue 41 Ford ragtop looks black in old photos that I have. A bit of dust makes the paint look like it's flat and I know he damned well never owned a flat anything car in his adult lifetime.

About the car that is the original subject of the thread. Two Tone would look like hell in my opinion but two shades of the same basic color just a shade or two off each other and done properly with either the top side an fenders one shade with the sides another or the body one shade and fenders the other might look right.

25. I fired up an old laptop last week and had forgotten about that car, it was my backround for years, loved that car!

26. JoJo O.

JoJo O.

The car is called the "TANGERINE DREAM" right?? I think it's pretty self explanatory from there!

27. txskinney

txskinney
    from West Texas

When we sanded it we did not find any blue, but it has been painted a few time. At one time it was a dark red.

28. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

thanks for info,I guess it won't be called tangerine dream no more..either way NICE RIDE,good luck with new paint scheme

29. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

it was in an ad that ran in magazines for a while(cant remember the company) and was photoshopped blue for the ad.

30. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

ok thanks..thought I was going crazier.. ha ha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.