Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects RHD '32 5W Build Thread: Pics...ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32ford5, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Chop, channel, I hope you're short!

Here are some thoughts in the mean time.

Attached Files:

2. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

6 foot.

1 and 3 speak more to me than 2. And 3 talks louder than 1. Getting the chassis that low (3) as a highboy would be a challenge. Is number 2 and 3 a 4" chop would you say? From what I see a heavy chop also looks great with a hefty rake.

3. Fail!

#2 speaks to everyone on this board! (Well, nearly) Look up the Busby coupe.

All 3 pics come from the HAMB.

And if you're 6', consider this, a lot of folks screw up the interior space in cars even when they're not chopped or anything, so be carefull with steering column, seat set up and pedal location. And don't let the trimmer go too nuts with padding otherwise you can kill a car when you have to drive like a crippled monkey. I only say it because it happens way too much.

4. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Hahaha. I didn't say it wasn't cool. It's cool-as! I'd LOVE to own any of the cars that appear on this forum but if I had to choose a style that speaks to me and had to chose from those three cars it would have to be number 3 with many glances back at number 1. In my dreams I have at least a 20 car collection and I would be proud to own all these styles. If I really had to chose I'd make an offer for all three!

5. thequietwon

thequietwon

Not to hijack a thread, but are there anymore pics of the blue highboy pictured above...refered to as #3? That thing just sits soooo right...
    sam

6. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

No hijack. I was going to ask the same question. Love the arch/tyre match. It's perfect.

7. "Modern Traditional" - my term so take it FWIW...

Consists of a bullet proof chassis (maybe even straight out of someone's catalog - Pete & Jakes, So-Cal, CornHusker, etc...), a 9" rear end with big brakes, and an engine & trans combo that will provide reliable fun without constant tinkering & a trunk full of obscure "emergency" parts, a big new radiator, Lincoln brakes up front, traditional wheels, radials tires still not allowed, solid color on the body, & traditional interior.

I'm over weak cooling systems, rare mechanical parts, & wondering if I'll make it across town. I want to eat some interstate at 85mph - for hours on end.

[​IMG]

AHotRod likes this.
  8. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I like this one.

[​IMG]

AHotRod likes this.
  9. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Here is a picture the inside of the door.........now isn't that the breast......I mean best door you have ever seen?

[​IMG]

10. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

I can live with those...cars.

11. If you have a some strong rafters or something solid to hang it from, use two 2' wide nylon straps, one through the quarter windows and the other just behind the A pillar through the door openings (not the windows). Some pieces of carpet where contacts the openings is a good idea too. Ratcheting tie downs used on trucks work very well and are strong and long enough. Since they are long enough, you can also go under the body in about the same spots. Roll your car to where you want to hang it and have a couple of friends lift the front off first, then the rear, alternating back and forth until you get it as high as you want by readjusting the straps.

The Number 1 pic of the nose high gasser look is about as true to 1969 as you can get. I like the Number 2 pic a lot too, it's got the modern highly finished look. Jerry's (bangingears on the HAMB) black 5W also has that very perfect look and stance, and its a super nice car that does it for me too. The 5W posted by Royalshifter is from an earlier era but that's the baddest 5W I've ever seen because its got that slightly unfinished, mean old hot rod look to it. I think its the black primer, wide whites, white top and grill insert that do it for me. It gets my vote, and I hope to make one of mine with the same look, but I'll have to give it a 4" haircut to do it. 5W's really are best Deuce Hot Rod but I love them all.

12. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Thanks. Is there a picture of someone actually hanging their body from the rafters that anyone can post? I figured through the quarter windows would be best but I wasn't sure about the front. So, doors open and through the front of the door opening near the windscreen is that correct? How much does an empty body weigh I wonder.

The more I look at the 3rd car the more I like it. I like being able to drive my car everywhere all the time in all weather. I've never been shy like that so that look appeals to me a lot. I just have to get used to the idea of rag tyres but that's getting easier and easier the more pics you guys show me and I find through searching.

So if I get the description above correct, Mechanicals and body look can be from separate eras as long as the "look" of the car is right? My Nailhead is a '65 engine and the (blown) 460 could be from '71 but the brakes on my chassis are from the latter part of last century. That's got to be a good thing for safety but the look is all wrong. Disk brakes came out the Chrysler Imperial in 49-53 but I'm guessing that doesn't mean that any new disk brake will fly...would that be correct? Because if I can have "modern" mechanicals and an older look I'd be able to keep everyone smiling - especially me.

I appreciate your patience but here's a chance to rescue a wayward rodder and see him home - styling wise.

13. I haven't needed to leave one hanging around (I've got enough room), but I just recently lifted Tudor and Fordor bodies off my trailer and reloaded the Fordor in the back of a 4WD pickup that way. I used my four post car hoist to do it by myself with no issues and those bodies are both heavier than a 5W, especially the Fordor. I just raised the hoist up high enough to back the trailer and body underneath and then put the straps on and lifter it up as high as the hoist would go and then pulled the trailer out. Old Fords are very sturdy, the only ones you have to be careful with are the open cars. I do have a rack I've built to store two bodies, one above the other to gain some more room.

14. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

15. How about this unchopped '32 5-window, as "stolen" from 36-3window's recent "remember this deuce?" thread?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  16. Now that as close as you can get to what it was like in the late 60's. Beautiful 5W!

Check out the tinted glass. Remember the spray on blue tint for the windows back then? We all did it!

17. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Yes, I like it! When did the rear wheels start poking out the side of fenders? I'm not sure it's a look I want for this car at this time though I do I remember it in the early 70s (I was born in '64) as the new Muscle cars paraded around our streets. Seeing a tyre sticking out was hot back then. These days it's an instant "pull over driver" and a ticket. I was going through some more of my older mags (I bought an entire magazine collection a few years ago going all the way back to the early 50s) I'm starting to hear you all about the early 60s scene. It's cool. Just a question on that. Does "pre-65" mean "nothing" from 65? Or 1965 and earlier?

18. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

[​IMG]

When I saw this last car on the calendar thread posted by Chris Casny ...something snapped!

19. scotti32

scotti32

Cool 5w body, I know a few guys who tried to buy it.
    I have just started to build a 32 tudor and sourced ladder bars, rear transverse spring and front hairpins from Rod Tech in SA, they are engineered and come with paper to say so. I like 60's show rod style, chrome steelies, big and little cross ply wide whites, candy paint with white highlights, highboy style. As far as the chop goes, I love the look of a chopped car, but if it is cherry you can make it look cool with the right stance and wheel combo. Good luck. A 32 5w is the car I would have if I could afford one, I have a 30 coupe that will have to do for now.:)

20. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Like this...?
    [​IMG]

Photo taken by hotrodladycrusr .

21. erlomd

erlomd

DAMN THATS AWESOME!!!![

QUOTE=32ford5;4400159][​IMG]

When I saw this last car on the calendar thread posted by Chris Casny ...something snapped![/QUOTE]

22. erlomd

erlomd

THIS one looks great as well....almost too perfect:cool:

23. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

channeled cars were more 50's era to me, pluse i don't like them.

to me this is a hotrod (my old roadster):D, kinda late 60's era.

[​IMG]

24. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

here is one we built for a customer. stock top no channel.

-danny

[​IMG]

AHotRod likes this.
  25. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Yes, full height can obviously look cool. It's a balancing act though - for sure.

26. Thats the kinda thing I was trying to explain in my earlier post, apart from the tank, bias plys and a nice metalic paint.

27. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  28. Paint it copper or gold & people will know it was built between 2006 & 2010..... trying to resemble one built in 1962.

JH

29. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

As long as it makes me smile I think that the one single person who may come up to me one day and say "that's not authentic" will be greeted with a smile and "what's your point?". I would never attempt to pass it off as original and have no intention of defrauding the public or rodders or anyone anyway. I'm just after a look that I'm happy with. Besides it would be a pretty big arse hole that would go up to someone and say that and if they wanted to argue they'd get a slap in the chops and a few choice phrases similar to "fuck off dick". They can think it but that will never affect me.

You guys in here on the other hand are a different bucket of bolts altogether. I EXPECT strict rules in here and all I'm asking for in this thread is for a few of you who could be bothered to help yet another new guy who is listening to the gospel. So far the support on this thread has been very good but I don't expect everyone to agree with me. I've read threads on here for too many hours to expect that. If I decide on a look that doesn't fit the pre-65 style I won't be rubbing it anyone's face and will participate in other ways.

But I've got to tell you, I've got a new wallpaper which is that cool black and white shot from above of a line of cars parked with 6V 82 07 at the back. If I was told that would be my car and I couldn't ever touch it it's look or style - I'd say "I'll take it".

30. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Your project brings back memories and jump starts new ideas. my '32 5w is almost a carbon copy of yours. The burgandy color is almost dead on. I bought it 37 years ago and have driven it 6 blocks (on a dare that I couldn't get it to move under it's own power). Other than that it's been stashed away in my shop while I "DECIDE" how I want to build it. I pretty much have a plan, just haven't gotten to it. In the meantime i've built a dozen or so cars and had a ball with all of them. The time is getting short so the last few months have generated a renewed interest in getting the old girl out and realizing the dream.
    I'll be watching your decisions and build with keen interest. Be sure to keep us informed as you proceed.

Frank