Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rewiring a 1941 Ford Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the-lowrider, Oct 19, 2012.

1. the-lowrider

the-lowrider

Hi guys,

i`m planning of rewiring a 1941 Ford Business Coupe with a Mercury Flathead. Do i need a special kind of harness for that or can i use any aftermarket stuff ?

Thanx and greeetz

Markus

2. fordor41

fordor41

If you have the original wiring you could remove each section and duplicate it. you'd have modern wiring insulation. Probably 1 section from firewall to the rear, one under the dash and one under the hood to engine and lights, etc. Don't know off hand of a complete harness.

3. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Rewire it one wire or so at a time. It all starts at the solonoid.

4. the-lowrider

the-lowrider

Thanx for the replys....anybody here who has done it before and used a nearly complete aftermarket harness ?

5. 2002p51

2002p51

I did our '47 Mercury with an American Autowire kit. Was easy and neat.

I've also done a '62 Falcon with a Rebel Wire kit. Just as easy.

6. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

7. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

The requirements for your car are basic and relative simple, but, if your not experienced at wiring....if this is your first attempt.... I'd recommend a wiring kit.
    The better kits are very well documented and make the learning curve a much less frustrating experience.
    Painless, and American are about the best as far as I'm concerned....comparing quality to cost.

8. fordor41

fordor41

..But are you going to get a "stock" wire kit or one that's designed with a GM column, etc. Sounds like he wants a kit for a stock '41 ford

9. Big difference is are you going to keep it 6 volt or go to 12 volt. If your going to 12v you can buy a universal harness from anywhere (I recommend Rebel Wire, HAMB vendor "Tugmaster" here). Just follow directions or call them if you have any questions, really simple and you can add to it later if you want. If your going to keep it 6v then either piece together one from the repo places or buy a repo harness from another resto harness place.

10. I would go to a place like Macs and buy an original harness. They are correctly color coded and look original and cool. They will carry 12 volts easily. More volts means less amps.

I do not know why people think they need heavier wire to carry 12 volts. The reproduction original wire kits have modern wire and they are nicely bundled.

I like traditional.

11. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

The universal kits I've seen/used all have options available for GM columns, as well as wiring info for several different charging and ignition systems...Ford, GM, Mopar... But none of those option are required.

I didn't know anyone made a repro harness for this car. I know Sacramento Vintage sells harnesses for model A's and they sell a universal harness with cloth covered wire...I have one by the way and I like it. Very basic but complete and priced right... They also sell cloth covered wire by the foot and following a Ford diagram is a simple way to go, both in getting the right color code to the right component and following the diagram...

Also, American Autowire kit also has a cloth covered universal kit available...priced pretty high for me, but, it's another option..

I wired my A sedan using Sac Ford bulk wiring and individually bought/scrounged fuse holders, etc..... By the time I finished I had a lot more money invested than if I bought anyone's kit.... An Importent aspect to keep in mind.

12. jw johnston

jw johnston

Try c&g ford. I did my 41 sedan with a stock harness from them a few years back for less than a couple hundred bucks for the underdash. You have to buy the other sections like the engine harness ect. Piece of cake to install, correct colors, fabric, and connectors.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

13. 41fordor

41fordor

Macs harnesses are identical to original and fit perfectly. They say Made in USA. I also replaced my circuit breaker assembly, they have NOS still in waxpaper.

14. Boy, You guys had me scared. I just looked in Macs v8 catalog dated late 2012. Pages 142 through page 147 have all of the original wiring harness for all flat-head v8 Fords. They also have wiring kits for turn signals and other none needed convenient items. They sell the connectors and wire clips.

Pretty cool huh.:D