Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rewiring '35 pickup after electrical fire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Iceberg, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Iceberg

Iceberg

It looks like the floor mounted starter switch was the source of the fire I had this weekend. The wires from the switch to the voltage regulator have the most heat damage. The wires exiting the regulator were also severly damaged up to 5" from the generator. The short toasted my new voltage regulator and the wires running from the battery to the switch and from the switch to the starter. The previous owner used too short of cable from the battery to the switch and I think it grounded when the insulation wore off from vibration against the frame.

I don't think I'm going to try to modify a standard wireing harness. Instead I'm going to rewire it myself and use some of the cloth sheathing that Mac's sells to clean it up. What gauge wiring should I use? My truck 6V + ground, has a '46 59A, a '39 style generator w/ fan, & a firewall mounted voltage regulator. My reference (How to Build a Traditional Hot Rod - Bishop) shows #14 for most of the system with #10 used from the starter switch to the regulator, & from the regulator to the generator. I am also replacing my starter switch, battery cable to switch, and cable from the switch to starter. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

My thoughts..... I have been that route.... For the little bit more money involved and ease of installation. Get yourself a kit for around 140.00 and be done with it.
    I used the cloth covering over the exposed wires on my 37 and it looks good if I have to say myself. I have been the homemade wiring route. Too much work, too much thinking and too many bugs after installation.

3. Iceberg

Iceberg

Were do you get a custom kit? I only need the under dash to generator, voltage regulator & starter switch kit. My taillight, headlight & horn wiring looks fine.

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

[ QUOTE ]
    Were do you get a custom kit?

[/ QUOTE ]
    If I were you even though the rest of the wiring looks and works fine, Time will show you that you should have replaced it all... It may take alittle more time but not much more work.
    I found a good cheap kit from here. Nice thing about our old rods. You don't really need too many connections and will only need a basic style kit.
    kwikwire

5. Iceberg

Iceberg

I picked up a lighting wiring harness to go along with dash/cowl main wiring harness from Sacramento Vintage Ford. They set me up with extra cloth coated wire (for regulator to generator conections) and extra bits for under $150. You are probably right about replacing the poorly installed crappy wiring after having an electrical fire. Better safe than sorry, eh? Looks like I'm going to wire my first vehicle after 25 years of driving, like it or not!

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Good luck, We are here to help...
    I could tell you were just trying to get around the fact that you didn't like to rewire it. Its not hard....
    kinda fun in fact. You'll learn a hell of alot.
    get stuck?? just ask.

7. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I got a complete wiring harness for my '57 Wagon from American Auto Wire. The price was around $250 I think, but the harness came with a modern fuse panel with horn and wiper relays, and was wired for power everything: door locks, windows, seat, electric fan, A/C, wipers, electric fuel pump and all the lights.
    The instructions were very simple to follow, but best of all, all the wires were different colors, and silk screened with a lable the whole length, stating what it was for.
    My car is DELETE everything, so I only used the wipers, lights, dome lights, turn signals, plus the engine harness, but it's nice to have the option for an electric fan.
    My kit was more expensive than yours would be, but by the time you get done buying all the wire, all the ends/fittings/connections, light sockets, and making trips to Radio Shack because you forgot something, you're better off. It make wiring my car a one-day deal.
    I was also surprised that Auto Zone and Discount Auto carried aftermarket wiring harnesses.
    -Brad