Register now to get rid of these ads!

Reversing a model A spring eye;a how to sorta:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ace Brown, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Of course, i'm not going to take full credit for this. After doing some searching last night for some dropping axle ideas and spring reversing, i found Loudpedal's post:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90824&highlight=spring

and this post:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225377&highlight=reversing+spring+eyes&page=2

which also gives a link to Loudpedal's...Anyhow, i know it's been covered but what the hell, might as well post it anyway, it was sure good fun :D

Looked easy enough so i set out to do it with my handy little shop press, not the big mo-fo in the second link. Put the spring in there right side up if the press is pressing down. the first link above has a jig made where the jack presses from the bottom.

First step was to take the spring apart, didn't take photos because it's easy enough. Just make sure you clamp it together before taking the bolt out through the middle, springs are under quite a bit of tension.

second was to mark a line on the floor of the outline of the original spring, see the link above for photos on that. This will be your reference point. it's pretty self explanatory.

Here's what we did next. Keep in mind that the black "risers" are not safe to use how they are, this is just a "mock up" of the process. I'll show you the jig i made a little further down.
    [​IMG]
    Start at one end and work your way to the other. You can mark off lines about an inch like Loudpedal said, but i found that on the scale rust it falls off after bending. you'll be able to see where your jack hits each time, just move a little further down as you go. Get it pretty flat then start bending it a little more after that, here you can see how much it bent after 2 passes.:
    [​IMG]
    We did one side to the middle at a time, i think loudpedal did his all at once, thats' probably the best way but this worked just as good. if it bends too far, you can bend it back by flipping it over. Take it out periodically and check for your degree of curve. make a few marks where it's out of whack and give it a bend. Pressing in between the lines keeps it from warping. i think the second link said that too...:
    [​IMG]

Here's the jig i built for the "real thing". The plate on the bottom is a piece of C chanel and the uprights are just square tubing cut to equal height, about 8-10" apart. On top i put some strap to keep the spring from flying if the jack slips. To be extra safe you could clamp the jig to the press frame. big amounts of pressure here!!
    [​IMG]

And here's the final project all bolted up. The second to last leaf will need trimmed as addressed in Loudpedals post. You should bevel the edges too to keep the bottom leaf from binding.
    [​IMG]

Happy pressing, and big thanks to Loudpedal and everyone else involved that i may not have mentioned.

Again, i know it's been covered a couple times already, but this was fun and in case someone hadn't seen the other threads. Thanks!
    -ace

2. flatford39

flatford39

Do you do the rear spring the same way???

3. Be extremely careful with this! Your lower "dies" need to be approx 4" apart and attached to the structure of the press. The upper needs to have an anvil with a radiused face, base on approx 1/2" dia radius. The anvil need to be anchored so it won't rotate. Do not attempt to change the arch directly over the tie bolt hole, the leaf will break in the middle.
    I work in a shop that does spring repair and re-arching. Be EXTREMELY careful.

4. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Well that's been covered before, and the general consensus is yes, it can be done but because of the odd shape it will take a long time. With some patience and planning you could do it.

5. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Side note, i didn't press in the middle like you said for that reason, and the "dies" are more like 5-6" apart, not 8-10 like i said earlier. thanks for the concerns, all went smoothly.

6. flatford39

flatford39

Thanks, I have been following all the front spring threads but haven't seen a rear yet. I'm up for giving it a try though.

7. jetmek

jetmek

i wouldnt attempt to bend a rear spring this way ive done fronts easily but the rear is wider and thicker with a complex arch. ive spent the 100 bux to have them made at a spring shop.

8. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Jetmek, that's true. I've never attempted it. I'm just speculating, and going by what other's say, that it is possible. However, although it IS possible, doesn't mean that it's necessarily advisable :D i'm thinking i'll pay the couple bucks to have the local 'pro' do that complex angle for us.