Register now to get rid of these ads!

Reverse flow blown nailheads?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Traditions Racing, Aug 26, 2011.

1. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Go over to V8buick.com there is a lot of talk about heads over there and some pic of sliced heads

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

They were posted on here as well, just can't remember which thread they are in. But I would also look for the pics of the Gessler ported heads, they are about the best with the heads at this point.

3. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

I like your "out of the box" thinking. That being said I am of the persuasion that it is far easier to expel the exhaust gasses, than it is to ingest the intake charge, at least when speaking of naturally aspirated applications. Is'nt that why intake ports and valves are larger than exhaust ports and valves? When the piston moves down during the intake stroke an engine relies on the vacumn created to fill the cylinders. Conversely when the piston moves back up during the exhaust stroke the contents of the cylinder are pushed out mechanically.

I'm guessing the Nailhead's exhaust ports are so bad that if you were to supercharge the engine as it was designed you would be able to overpump the engine's ability to expel everything that goes in? So if you reverse flow the blower compensates for the lack of flow through the former exhaust port and the new exhaust ports would now be able to keep up with what is being blown in.

4. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

Tr here are some pics from my attempts hope these help.
    If i knew how to show the thread i would,i had asked a while ago about castings and got a few good replies. Gary

Attached Files:

5. Thanks Gary, if I ever have a chance to get out to the Island, could I stop by your shop? The pics answered some questions, and raised many others. Some of my family was out on Long Beach this weekend visiting our grandmother in the nursing home. I'm from Baldwin originally, really appreciate the photos, TR

6. Thanks donut, I stop by about once a week. I really need to hold these pieces in hand, the pictures are good, but only open more inquires than answers. Thank you, appreciate you contributing to the thread, TR

7. Thanks Henry for contributing, alot of things that are old news here on the HAMB, are new to me. As a engine builder, I was just really intriqued by the whole concept, and needed to know more. I plan on re-opening my race shop on a very limited scale, primarily focusing on Nailhead and Flathead work, expanding on some ideas that have come about since my retiring. Thank you again, TR