Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rev engineering??? Contact info???HEMI oil pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Valentines Speed Shop, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Arominus

Arominus

Buy a melling M50 and call it a day, no adapters or strangeness, just bolts right up as its the correct early hemi pump for the 331/354/392 i just purchased one a few days ago ($155 shipped). I got it on Summit and it drop shipped yesterday from melling, ill have it tuesday.

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. 5window

5window

This is from their contact page off the website you provided:

Departments
    Support
    123-456-7890
    [email protected]

Sales
    987-654-3210
    [email protected]

I would not be sending them any money if they couldn't do better than this! I mean, at least most of the places you read about on the HAMB not sending what you paid for at least have a real phone number.

They have no Facebook page, no address on their webpage-listen to Arominus

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  3. Thank you for your reply.
    I would certainly love to do that but it is my understanding that my rear main cap would have to be machined in order for the M50 to bolt to my 1951 331. I saw that tr waters and quality engineering can do the machining for the early 331 to m50 but was trying to avoid that if possible. That is likely the route I will go if no other viable option presents itself.

4. town sedan

town sedan

I'll probably buy a M50 for my 325, if it ever gets that far, but from what I've heard and it's been a long time since needing a new oil pump, it might be a good idea to open the new pump up for an inspection before installing it.

Seems I remember hearing / reading about the needed the machining on the earlier engines. I'd still think this modification would be the way to go. Anyone else remember the thread from awhile back about the Hot Heads conversion and lunched hemis?
    -Dave

loudbang likes this.
  5. 5 window

Yes I saw that, I wondered if maybe they had just not got around to filling that in yet... I know that may be overly optimistic.
    It does look like a well designed kit.

Suggestions of similar/better options are welcome.

loudbang and 5window like this.
  6. Town Sedan

Yes I remember and have re read the stories about sheered oil pump drive shafts and bolts that fell out.
    Scary stuff!

Agreed inspect the new pump and install new bolts with loctite!

loudbang and town sedan like this.
  7. Arominus

Arominus

8. One of the reasons I liked that kit is that it uses a hex drive shaft. The only thing wrong with my stock pump is the drive tang has changed from a rectangle to a diamond shape... My engine was running with good oil pressure. My reason for taking it apart was one of the stock lifters would collapse every now and then and cause a miss. So I decided to freshen everything up and I found this

Attached Files:

9. town sedan

town sedan

Better to find stuff like that now instead of later. You're picture makes me say "damn" out loud.
    -Dave

Truckdoctor Andy and loudbang like this.
  10. Dave
    I did say it out loud! Haha
    The picture doesn't do it justice!!!
    Yes glad to see it now instead of it letting go going down the highway!!!
    Just for curiosity and the hope of a good pump I pulled the pan and pump from my spare same year 331...
    Same thing there! Tangs Worn diamond shaped! Hence my interest in the hex drive shaft...

11. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

X2 on the M50. For a few years they stopped making them but they have been back in production 4or 5 years

loudbang likes this.
  12. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Gary Stauffer of Quality engineered components 73RR on here has a great tech article with good pics of this on his website.
    Qualityengineeredcomponents.com
    Just go down the list on the right hand side and click on oil pump. This is how I did mine.

13. Junkyardgenius,

Thanks for the link. He gives a Very good explanation of the process. And a very informative website to boot! I highly recommend anyone with or considering owning an early hemi to give it a look!
    I have seen this process (as noted in an earlier post) but do not have the machining capability myself so I would have to farm it out.
    Were you able to do yours yourself? Or did you send it to Mr.Stauffer?
    If you sent it out, do you mind sharing what the maching of the main cap cost?

Thanks again for all the good responses!

5window likes this.