Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Return to American, what's some good steel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DumpsterDriver92, Jan 18, 2016.

?
  1. 260-302 Windsor

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. Stovebolt 6

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. Ford straight 6

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  4. Nailhead

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  5. 292 y-block

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Nash/Rambler OHV inline 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other? What's good?

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  8. Chev smallblock

18 vote(s)
    56.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DumpsterDriver92

DumpsterDriver92
    from Idaho

My bad, should I pull unrelated posts?

2. indyjps

indyjps

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  3. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

4. Dumpster - To keep it on topic, Pick up an early 60's 4 door survivor. They can be had cheaper than most. Check out that search on *Bay Motors. Buy a whole, running car. Drive it! Like a 1963 Chevy with a straight 6 & 3 speed stick. Easy to work on.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dead nuts reliable? Just about any inline American 6 from the mid 60's to mid 80's that is in top shape.
    The 74 250 "Pontiac" 6 in my 48 has over 200K and never had the head off. It's beyond worn out now but it was 15 years old with 95K on it when I put it in the 48 in 1089 and was a daily driver for most of the time until it got so worn out It wouldn't run in 2003.

6. upload_2016-1-18_16-34-1.png
    Here ya go. Buy it now less than $4500. No rust, 6 popper, 3 speed manual on the floor.
    You'll never want to drive the VW breadbox again!

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  7. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

He's a college boy. Doesn't have years of jello under his belt.

8. Nobody's bustin' on the dude, it's less work for the mods if we can keep the focus of the HAMB.

X38 and Moriarity like this.
  9. [QUOTE="manicmachanic, post: 11347641, member: 20034 Isn't that's why we're here?[/QUOTE]
    Yup, within the narrow scope of TRADITIONAL hot rodding. No '73 Comets. Don't eff with the mods, either. This is a great place, those of us who've been around a while know what flies and what doesn't. You've been here a while, too. Not that I'm holier than anyone, sometimes if a thread that's obviously goin' down comes up, I'll jump in and whack the bee's nest once before it's locked.
    But other than that, I'll offer up what I can to help a brother along. Ending at model year 1965.

crminal and Moriarity like this.
  10. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Like I said. Sarge on "Black Sheep" "college boy". He'll get it.

11. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Just don't want to see a kid asking for help and get turned off. Move the thread. If he wasn't looking for real info, wouldn't be asking questions from a punch of old farts. Obviously wants to learn. Couldn't learn on the tuner pages, except to buy big money parts and watch them blowup.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  12. Where to? The anything goes section?

People here are always good for help. But the place also has its own boundaries and rules.

Moriarity likes this.
  13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

That Valiant with the 170 cu in six and 3 speed should be good for near 30 MPG no kidding. It was also the best performing compact of its time. The slant six is legendary for reliability and long life.

14. And no rat rods, muscle cars, tuners or VW's.

15. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Don't overlook Pontiac, find a '64-'65 Tempest with a 2-barrel 250 HP 326.

Known to pull down 20 MPG with 2-series rear end gears.

Dead-reliable, tons of low-end torque with the 3.75" stroke/3.72" bore. Easy to work on, parts availability second only to the SBC.

chevy57dude likes this.
  16. Draggin'GTO - That Tempest was mentioned in "My Cousin Vinny''.

17. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

This is what you need! 1962 Fairlane, with a '63 289.
    Jump in an go. Cruises around town comfortably, tons of torque.

Attached Files:

18. indyjps

indyjps

I had a 65 impala 4 door 235 6 cyl p/g as a daily driver ('95-'96) tuned up, carb rebuilt it got great mileage, ran well in traffic. For a big car it really surprised me.

Figure out what car you want and we can help from there, chevy, ford, Mopar all have good options.

19. That 4.6 or any of the mod motors for that fact are more of a beaner motor, they don't run until they are revved up. They are crap on the bottom, most of the fellas seem drawn to a motor you can just lug around in. They don't get it, high rev cruising is a rush. :D

If I had one to play with I would stray well off the beaten path and shove a Coyote in something. I am a chevy guy at heart as most people have figured out but I am drawn to the Coyote and I think I could make one run.

They are only hobby cars if you can own more then one car to the rest of us they are just cars. ;)

20. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For sheer reliability you'll not beat a Mopar slant six. Lots of torque and huge mileage with a manual trans. The later 225 ci "leaning towers of power" could really make some horsepressure with a few hot rod add-ons.