Register now to get rid of these ads!

Retain Model A subframe or nix it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by METAL MELTDOWN, Oct 28, 2005.

1. that is the question. I have a 28 Model A roadster that is in the planning stages, another project needs to be finished first. I need to retain the use of the rumble seat(kids) so a large channel is not going to be used but I wan't to build it as low to the ground as possible. This car is going to be a keeper(dad's for 30 years) so it needs to be built tough. I have a complete subframe and floor section(repop) and was wondering whether I should use it but cut out the floor and seat risers or lose the entire sub-frame. I worry about the structural integrity of the body if I do lose the subrame because the car will be launched hard, any ideas?

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

At times like this I wish I could draw cartoons. I got this picture of two kids strapped in the rumbleseat on a "hard launch"!:eek:

3. HotRodDrummer

HotRodDrummer

I may be a minority here, but I'd say leave it and work around it...

4. plan9

plan9

in order to get a low stance youll need to Z the frame... or a kickup, so you will be cutting into the subframe anyways. you can get rid of the seat riser, (you dont need it) and fab up your own subfloor structure without compramising the integrity of the body..

if you Z the front/rear of the frame, you should be able to get a pretty low stance... you will even save on having to buy a dropped axle... depending on how low you want it.

how low do you want it? got any examples?

i dont think i have ever seen a functional rumble seat in a lowered roadster/coupe...then again i have never actually looked.... anything is possible with some thought but your kids will be at risk of falling out during one of your "hard launches"

5. In case I have been misunderstood, the kids won't be used for ballast under hard launch, that will be for dad only. the kids will be in under cruising mode but then again if i can't get enough traction?