Register now to get rid of these ads!

Resurrecting my 57 Chevy 210

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Philroy, Jul 18, 2012.

1. squirrel

squirrel

Sounds like you need to learn how to do body and paint.

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Typical body shop...give you a date, take your money and then sit on it while they do other stuff...

Do not hold your breath on getting the car back on that date...there's more to a paint job than simply spraying it...unless they simply Bulldog it and spray it and at that point, you've been screwed.

Time for a lesson: 'despondent' is spelled thusly...there is a spell checker on the HAMB...

R-

3. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Regarding the casting rib DIFFERENCE between 283s and 327s, look at the picture below (sorry, not the best example). Note a vertical casting rib on the block, to the right (in picture) of and above the water pump inlet, and a like-distance below the heater hose nipple. To the left (in picture) of the vertical rib, there is an indentation. On 283s, most folks can easily insert a finger into the indent. On 327s, the indent is too narrow to get a finger to slide-in. Looks like a 283 in the pic below. DD

[​IMG]

4. Philroy

Philroy

Squirrel, I was thinking the same thing today when he told me next wednesday. 40StudeDude, you are correct. He is drinking the money away. I jsut seen the spellchecker as I am writing this. I am sorry for the mis-con-bobulation. DD COOPMAN, thank you very much. That makes sense now that someone explains it, with a picture especially. Thank you everybody for the continuing encouragement. -Philroy

5. squirrel

squirrel

I drove my 59 chevy truck into town today. It's the first thing I did bodywork on, although a friend sprayed the paint on. I got the truck when I was 15, put a big block in it when I was 17, and finally got some paint on the cab when I was 20. It's fun looking at where I fixed the dents...but I really don't want to repaint the whole thing, now that I'm 51 it gets kind of nostalgic.

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Some years ago, I went thru Ottumwa looking for "Radar" (of MASH :rolleyes:), figured he was long retired on some small farm around there and didn't want to be disturbed...then thru Chariton and onward on Highway 34, finally ending up in Omaha to see friends...we were heading home to Denver from the Leadsled Spectacular in Davenport...hot and humid...and we had no A/C in our '57 Chevys at the time. My bro was driving our Bel Air 2 door hardtop and I had a 210 2 door at the time...(sold it in 2004, last I heard it was in Dubuque, but still have the hardtop). There's not a lot about '57 Chevys that I don't know...

FWIW, I remember growing up in my Iowa hometown...4500 population, almost the same as yours, on the western part of Iowa,...except we had three stoplights...never, never regretted growing up in a small town and you shouldn't either...back then I drove a three year old '57 Chevy when I graduated...gives you an idea of how old I am, eh...???

Anyway, you can do stuff on your '57 by yourself and learn how to depend on yourself instead of someone else...not everyone is 100% honest with a 16 year-old (hell, not everyone in this country is 100% honest these days anyway)...and now is the time to learn that...keep at it, you'll eventually get the car to look, drive and run like you want it...

R-

7. Philroy

Philroy

Squirrel, that's an awesome story on you truck. I hope to have one jsut about like it with my Dodge. I want to drive it to a million miles. I will hold onto that truck as long as I possibly can. 40StudeDude, when were you through Chariton? I mean, how many years ago would you guess? If it was in the last 15, You drove right past our house and dad's car lot. Its on the west side of town, just one driveway east of the airport. The sign out front has a picture of dad's yellow 57 B/A 2dr H/T on it. (look at masters9661's avatar picture for a picture of the real car) What town did you grow up in? I am not at all ashamed of where I grew up in any way, shape, or form. I love Chariton to bits. Eveybody knows everybody. I can walk into most stores and say that I am ..... and almost everyone will know exactly whose kid I am. I am planning on going to Pharmacy School at Drake University in Des Moines when I graduate from high school. I would love nothing more in the world than to bbe able to stay in Chariton and have a family and raise my kids.:D It's a wonderful place, with the exception of HyVee owning over half of the town. I know not everyone is honest with kids. Especially a drunk old guy that does super cheap paintjobs.:rolleyes: It will suffice for now, though. Even though I will have to wait for it to get back to Iowa to see it painted, as we are leaving tuesday and he thinks he might be done wednesday, I still can't beat the price of the paintjob. He does good work, but is just slow. I know all i have to do is keep working at it. My dad once said, "It doesn't matter how fast you are going, as long as you are going in the same direction, you will eventually get there. But, if you are going the wrong direction, it doesn't matter how fast or how slow you are going, you will NEVER get there." I have been trying to keep that in mind as best as I can and I sometimes think it's all that keeps my fun-meter from getting clear pegged out.:mad: Thank you everyone, and especially chevy57dude for all the parts and advice. -Philroy

8. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Cool ride!! Enjoy it!

9. Philroy

Philroy

I went to the bodyshop today and picked the guy up. We went to NAPA and the guy there found the paint codes. Matador Red and India Ivory !!! Just like I wanted it. They got on mixing the paint, and he is picking it up after bit. He got finished up with a 59 Chevy 4 door post. He has a 58 Chevy 4 door post he is spraying right now, and then he has my 57 Chevy 4 door post to paint. Kind of funny, don't you think?
    I have accepted the fact that I won't get to see it painted until it gets back to Iowa. It sucks, but oh well. It will be worth the wait in the end.
    kyvetteman, thank you very much. -Philroy

10. Philroy

Philroy

My "Uncle Kenny",:D who is actually my grandpa's really good hispanic friend, brought back my interior pieces that were being re-upholstered/re-manufactured in Mexico. I got all new door panels made, sunvisors recovered, a new rear-window-package-tray made, 30 feet of windlace to go around the doors, and some various other small parts recovered in black naugahyde.:D This helped make me feel a little better and get my mind off the fact that it isn't painted yet.:( Oh well. Here are some pictures. I only have pictures of the door panels and sun visors. -Philroy

Attached Files:

11. fifty5rod

fifty5rod
    from El Paso TX

Looking forward to see more pics!! Good luck!!

12. Just tuned in to the story:cool:.........great to see your enthusiasm being a young Hambster:)............The colors are right on for a 210......enjoy the car being a 4 door.......it is a great marriage of a 16 year old and a 4-door....no one would expect to see you in a restored Nomad or 900 point 2-door Bel/Air. I was 14 in 68' riding in my friends 55 Nomad, he was 16, we were in Chevy Heaven cruisin the local hangouts, I was branded........my enthusiasm and passion has never went away.........your spirit is inspirational for all.......;).......I am headed to the garage to tool around with my 57 150:D. thanks for sharing your story:).

13. Philroy

Philroy

Fifty5rod, thank you very much. ChevyGasserMadness, thank you. I am kind of glad it's a 4 door. Easier to get people in and out of. I had never thought of it, but people look at me like I lost my last marble when I am driving dad's 57 Belair 2dr Hardtop. I checked your profile and there are no pictures of your cars? Thank you to everybody who checks out my thread. It means a lot to me. -Philroy

14. You are at the age I was when I decided I had alot more time than money when it came to body work. I am 20 years your senior and never could have guessed how far that venture would take me. Good thing about paint is, you can strip it off if you don't like the final outcome and even though paint supplies can be expensive, you can make alot of mistakes for what one paint job costs in a shop

...end of my sermon

15. I have been pretty reserved on pics but there are a few posted here an there on different threads............I really want to get all the cars (bowties) together for an aerial photo of the Chevy Bowtie formed by placing the cars in that form..........it will be in the future as it will take time to pull it off:D......it will happen though as I plan my work ...and work my plan;):).

16. Philroy

Philroy

Nitrohonkey, I hadn't thought of it that way. That makes good sense, though. I think I might try that on my next project. ChevyGasserMadness, that will be cool. I can't wait to see what it looks like.
    -Philroy

17. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

Philroy, is there ANYTHING you can do to help the ol' man get the car into the booth before you leave???

Swap out the stock 3.55's for a 3.08 from a '58-'64 automatic car. You'll find the tooth count of the r&p on the edge of the ring gear, next to the p/n. That will help mileage on the road and make the car more livable in 2nd gear around town.

Keep yer eyes peeled for a Saginaw 4-speed - they have a 3.11 low and work SLICK with taller gears. Easy to spot - input shaft has TWO GROVES cut into the splines, funky set of plates bolted up to the tail-shaft housing. If you don't want to cut the floor for a Hurst, shift the 4 off the column with an OVERDRIVE CABLE for reverse!

I am a BLESSED man to have TWO '57-150's. One is a Black Widow Trib. Car, Utility Sedan with a 283 Fulie. The other is a 2-dr. 235, headers with a 3/4 cam and Sag 4-speed project car that I may never finish - just TOO MUCH FUN!!!

PLEASE resist the urge to stick BelAir stainless on the car and KEEP IT A 210! I'd look for a set of scuzzy 14x6 chrome-reverse wheels and dustblast them. Shoot them black or red, snap on some stock dog-dish 'caps or baby-moons off a Nova, with 1" white-walls. Cheap, and no maintence.

My Six is also white over red, but crappy peeling paint that would make Shibe look like Winfield. Some day, I'll strip it and squirt some Rustoleum on it!

If you need any help, take a look at the ChevyTalk forums for the tri-five cars. I'm on there most every day, GREAT bunch of troops over there - I've learned A TON from those guys!!! I also go by 6-bangertim there.

Gotta go clean the garage and prep for the new rubber mat I just got from C.A.R.S. for the 'Widow. Get their catalog, also one from Danchuk. Pass on Eckeler's - aka Classic Chevy - service is CRAP from what I've been hearing.

CONGRATS ON THE FIND AND THE BUILD!!! You and your G'pa know how to pick 'em!!!:D Hope the paint turns out GOOD!

Take Care, Tim

18. Philroy

Philroy

6-bangertim, I have been in there everyday checking on progress, trying to hurry him along. I have offered to help, but he just says no. I will definitely keep it a 210. If it was a 2dr Hardtop, I might consider changing it. But, for my purposes, this will be sufficient. I am thinking about painting the stock 14s balck and putting Baby Moons with beauty rings on it. Or, dad has an original set of 57 hubcaps I'd bet I could use for now, until I find something I truly want. I have been thinking, however, that I will wait to buy tires until I find a set of wheels I like. I am getting my great grandfather's "Trucktor" that he built in 1983. I am probably going to paint it with red rustoleum for the Homecoming Parade. (look at my albums for pictures of it) I have a catalog coming from Danchuk. They sent me the wrong part, so they sent me the correct part for free!!! And told me to keep the part they sent me. It was only a set of $10 taillight dust shields, but still. Thank you for the encouragement and I hope the paint turns out good as well. I am leaving all of the exterior stuff off until I get it home and wetsand and buff it. (I detail cars, so this I know how to do, and will be doing myself.) Anyways, thank you very much. -Philroy

19. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Remember 2 doors are cool from the factory. It takes a some work to make a 4 door cool. I think people who run 4 doors are just plain cool. Any one can go buy a 2 door and think their cool. Long storey short. You sound like a good kid and you know what you want. Im glad you found a car you enjoy worken on and have goals. Instead of out doing drugs and stealing. If you need anything at all dont be afraid to ask. Bunch of great guys around here who will take care of you.

20. Philroy.........on the wheel and tire choice...........the car will present itself as a stocker with great contrast being red with Ivory inserts(210) and roof......IMO........blackwalls and the hubcaps your dad has for now.......it will give it some stocker pop. I also think the future wheel of choice would be a set of new chrome reverse on blackwalls........that would be just enough to set the car off........get the stance a lil' above stock ride height and it will be fantastic. I am going to get my 13 year old to read this thread to get some inspiration from another young rodder. See..... you are already have become a 57 guru:cool::D:eek:...........another thought .......a vanity tag......Red, White, an Chrome!

21. BELAIR1957

BELAIR1957
    from PA

THANKS FOR USING MY ENGINE AS A REFERENCE. THE ENGINE IN MY CAR IS THE ORIGINAL BLOCK AND HEADS FOR MY CAR

QUOTE=DD COOPMAN;8002126]Regarding the casting rib DIFFERENCE between 283s and 327s, look at the picture below (sorry, not the best example). Note a vertical casting rib on the block, to the right (in picture) of and above the water pump inlet, and a like-distance below the heater hose nipple. To the left (in picture) of the vertical rib, there is an indentation. On 283s, most folks can easily insert a finger into the indent. On 327s, the indent is too narrow to get a finger to slide-in. Looks like a 283 in the pic below. DD

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

22. Philroy

Philroy

Old Soul, thank you very much. I most certanly enjoy working on this car. It will keep me busy this winter. I hate stealers and I hate dopers even worse. I don't care if its a 2dr, 4dr, wagon, whatever. If it's a tri-five, I'm in. ChevyGasserMadness, I appreciate the input. I want to get a set of white letter BFG Radials, but I believe blackwalls would look far better than white. Whitewalls jsut don't appeal to me. Let me know what your son thinks. What do you mean by a "vanity tag"??? BELAIR1957, thank you for letting us discuss about the casting web using your picture. Thank you to everybody for all the help and encouragement. -Philroy

23. Philroy

Philroy

Well, I went to the body shop today and talked with the old man that's painting my car. He is planning on shooting primer tomorrow. All the bodywork he has done looks excellent so I am pleased. I am not going to get to see the car painted until it gets to iowa as I am flying home tomorrow morning. Grandpa is going to haul it back on his trailer when he and grandma come back on August 9th. I can't wait to see it. I will be busy anyways getting ready for the HAMB Drag Nationals on the 18th!!! -Philroy

24. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Awesome ! Cant wait to see it too!:D

25. Philroy

Philroy

Well, I jinxed myself. I talked with Grandpa yesterday. The 57 isn't even in primer, so therefore it won't be coming back Thursday. I am afraid if I was having problems with low blood pressure, I don't have that problem now. Oh well. I guess I just have to live with it. I am about fed up with the whole thing.:mad::mad::mad:

26. Philroy

Philroy

And still no progress.

27. Philroy

Philroy

Well, Grandpa got back home from the HAMB Drags and drove by the bodyshop. He said that my trunk lid was setting on sawhorses inside the shop and they guy was shooting it with primer. He was going to stop by the bodyshop today, but I haven't had a chance to talk with him yet. I just wish that my car wasn't 1100 miles away. If I had it my way, it would be setting in the shop, with the motor on a stand, rebult. And a rebuilt th350 trans setting on the floor ready to drop in. But, none of that can happen until I get ti back. We are studying brakes in Power Mechanics class at school. I already know everything we are talking about, I just wish I was practicing on a 57 Chevy rather than an ugly Jeep. Oh well. Grandma is going to take a bunch of pictures of the car when it's painted and send them to me. I will post them as soon as I get them. We went to the 2012 HAMB Drags for the second time and had a blast. I met many nice people and I highly recommend going to anyone who hasn't ever been. I am currently working on making a movie with our pictures and videos on it. If you want a copy, please let me know and I will get you one sent when I get them done. Thank you everybody.

-Phillip Masters

28. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Philroy, I think it is awesome that you are working on an old car. what are you doing about the exterior chrome (like the bumpers, taillight housing and other stainless) now that you will soon have a nice shiny body

29. Philroy

Philroy

Hey, Boones. I am currently working on polishing the stainless side trim. It is kinda dented up from door dings and such, but I don't really know how to fix them. The side trim is polishing up nice. The taillight housings also shined up nice. I am going to try to polish the bumpers up as best as I can. Eventually, I hope to get some better looking bumpers, but these should do for now. I just can't wait to get it back. I guess I will have to, though. Oh well. The only reason I really want it back is to to drive it to figure out whether or not I need to rebuild the engine over the winter, fix steering components, trans, rearend, u-joints, and wiring. During the winter months, we are basically confined to indoors, so I will have a lot of time to work on it. I plan on taking dad's yellow 57 Belair 2dr Hardtop to a local car show at the nursing home tomorrow. I really could care less if I even come close to winning. It's all about fun. Next weekend is a local parade that me an the girlfriend plan on taking it thru. The homecoming parade is the Friday after that, so I can at least have a little fun before the cold weather sets in. I am beginning to ramble so I guess it's time for bed. Gotta get up early tomorrow...

30. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

What!!