Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Resurgence of the Radical: Need examples like Car Craft Dream Rod

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by UNSHINED 2, Apr 15, 2021.

1. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I like the open engine bay because I have a 394/Edlebrock 6x2 setup waiting to go in there

AHotRod likes this.
  2. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

@Squablow I remember this thread and was blown away by it at the time. But I forgot about it until you posted just posted it.

I totally agree that the world needs more customs like this. And like @Spex84 kinda said, I dont really want this to be a cab with a bunch of add-ons. I would like this to become one of its own, with its own correct flow and proportions. So a whole bunch of slicin' and dicin' will need to be done. Thats understood.

At the end of the day, even if this doesn't work out for whatever reason, I hope it inspires a few more people to get out and start a small Resurgence of Radical.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  3. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

The Breezeway was what came to mind when I was thinking about what to do about the back window!

J. A. Miller likes this.
  4. AHotRod

AHotRod

Get out the Saw-Zall and cut off wheels and get started, You Can Do It !

UNSHINED 2 and Max Gearhead like this.
  5. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

I know how people feel about bringing up old threads, but...

I missed this the first go-round and as soon as I saw the first picture the OP posted, I knew the roof had to go BACKWARDS!

[​IMG]

Or maybe I'm just nuts.

6. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2023-7-11_2-49-38.png
    Hello,

The early photos of the roadster pick up show a puffy style of hard top. That look is fine, due to the available option of taking it off when one wants to enjoy driving around in an open air roadster/RPU. Unless, of course, you are making a one-of-a-kind show car.

A long time ago, I wrote and took photos of the process and creation of the “California Top.” It was a replacement for the folding top normally seen on a Phaeton. With the bulky mess no longer sitting in the back when open air cruising is needed, it looks like it is/was a factory option. A smaller measurement to fit your RPU would be done to match the smaller space.

The California Top is a different look at the bulky Carson Custom Car Top. It looked great on a 1934 Phaeton and did the similar job as a Phaeton top, but with some rigidity, lightweight enough to take off for some open air cruising. In the full size Phaeton, there was no buffering normally associated with a canvas folding top while moving, so there is that.

Jnaki

If you decide to make a smaller version for an RPU, it would probably be light enough for a single person to move it off of the installation. We picked up the larger Phaeton unit and it was amazingly light weight, but of course, a lot longer.
    Https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/friday-art-show-5-6-22.1263314/#post-14473448

upload_2023-7-11_2-51-28.png

When the idea of a hand-made custom top was created for a 1934 Ford Phaeton, the design suddenly took front and center. It was light enough for two people to clip it on and install/remove the California Top. So, it was not that much different than a manual fold top that just sat on the rear area.
    It was a lot cleaner in design and function.
    upload_2023-7-11_2-52-7.png
    These are some newly found original color slides from a mystery box left at the bottom of a file box we recently cleaned out. These were from an original photo shoot back a long time ago in Goleta, Ca. From the back of an El Camino with my wife driving and me shooting was an experimental way to get some clear action shots with the background slightly blurry, but the Phaeton in focus.
    upload_2023-7-11_2-52-48.png

Last edited: Jul 11, 2023
    Sancho, UNSHINED 2 and Okie Pete like this.
  7. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

WOW! Neat photos and history! Thanks for the addition and info to this thread, Mr. Jnaki.

jnaki likes this.
  8. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I like this look a lot!

BigJoeArt likes this.