Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Resurection of a Survivor, '39 Tudor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 4t6ford, Feb 13, 2014.

1. A kiwi Friend of mine who lives and works in the USA Found this old darling. He purchased it from the original owner a few years back and shipped it home to New Zealand for "One Day" .

It is a '39 Standard , V8-60 car with 89,000 miles on it. Still wearing what's left of the factory black paint!

I had never seen it in the flesh but have known he had it tucked away safely for the past couple years . So early in January I called him and asked if he would part with it. Well there was a deal done that involved Fresh Crayfish, a quantity of beer and a couple good lumps of cash!

At the point the deal was done I had still not seen the car , just one photo! But I knew my friend would not have shipped it all the way home if it wasn't worth saving.

So a fortnight ago my friend was out here in NZ for business/family commitments so that meant it was the right time to go and collect the new toy. YeeHaa !

It was a 5 hour drive each way to go collect it , the following are a few photos showing it coming out of storage and heading home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  2. Home and unloaded ...

[​IMG]

3. The plan is to get it roadworthy and all legal as a stocker and then I have an early Oldsmobile Rocket to fit along with a dropped I beam and reversed eye springs front and rear .
    I have a set of 15"Merc rims with big n little wide whitewalls and am currently rebuilding/replacing all brakes and changing hubs n drums to 5 on 5.5 to enable running the Merc rims.

4. The paint will be getting a buff and wax to try to preserve it , the fenders all need work - not rusty just beaten from the old boy "Touch parking" during the last few years of use.
    I will tidy them up a bit and try to do the minimum amount of paintwork on them.

5. Damn that's nice. There is a dark blue one the same in Masterton. Ive always liked the 39 standards, lucky you. JW :)

6. The V8-60 had been reconditioned not long before the car was retired from use . So when I had it unloaded at home I pulled the dipstick and the oil looked as clean as new. The waterpumps were both a little sticky so they got a little lube. I threw a kit in the fuel pump. And there was no spark happening so after checking points etc decided to fit a coil adapter kit. Did that and then first piston up it fired and idled !

I've driven it up and down the driveway with no brakes a couple times and am looking forward to a trip around the block as soon I have the brake rebuild finished. New Cylinders at all wheels , new master , hoses and relined shoes .
    Also new hand brake cables as they were both frayed and stretched.

7. Some more shots ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Thanks JW, yes I looked at the Blue one before buying this . The blue one is VERY nice and I see the price has been dropped again ( To a little less than what I offered just before xmas ) . But I think for me and the changes I have planned this car is more "Me " :)

9. 1932tub

1932tub

Saw the blue one in Masterton last weekend. Beautiful.
    Bargain price

10. Yup, I'm surprised it hasn't been nabbed yet :confused:

11. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Great car! Have a blast with her!

12. R Pope

R Pope

Keep that "60" for another project! They are a bit anemic in a big sedan, but a "one-man" T bucket will scoot along pretty good with one.....

13. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Very nice, all sorts of envy going on, glad for you its in your shed. Hope you'll put up a thread on the changes!

Cheers

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. How much is the Masterton 3 going for ? a mate is thinking about something like that. Did you see that 37 Willys out side the show saterday ? Its mine. JW

15. Looks fucking awesome Rod!!

16. Very :cool: Kool Sedan...Congrats!

Murph

17. Very nice score! Good for you.

18. DenK

DenK

Very nice! Repo wheel cylinders are dodgy, maybe have yours sleeved.
    The plan for this is right on.

19. PM'd you .

20. SoCal

SoCal

Looks nice man. Does this mean the truck has moved on? I saw it appear briefly on trade me.

21. Thanks Cal, yeah Ethel now lives in Christchurch. Went to an approved home! :)

22. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

What a lovely old car. Keep the 60 and all the other parts you take off for a Model-T or Ford Anglia/Popular. Even the wide five rims will look great on a smaller car.

Twitter @edsrodshop

23. mramc1

mramc1

Awesome find! Looks similar to the '37 V8-60 sedan I brought home last year.

24. New Shoes !

Attached Files:

25. And this came home today ...

Attached Files:

26. Photobucket or the hamb is not playing nicely with others today , I cant post large photos today , only thumbnails :(

27. Nice and nice !! Hey did I chat with you at the Nats in Masterton? I get this feeling I may have. JW

28. What happened to the rear fender? It wasn't that bent on the trailer. JW

29. Nope , I wasn't there . Could well have been one of my Clubmates though .

It's just the light/reflection in the photo , I havn't beat it up yet ! :eek:

30. Kool looking car Rod!