Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Resisting Change

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stanlow69, Apr 30, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. There is a sizeable university here. When you drive by the campus this is what you are likely to see;
    unnamed (14).jpg

I use a flip phone because I don't want to turn into a phone zombie;
    SMART PHONE IDIOTS.jpg
    You see them these days everywhere you go.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  2. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I generally avoid zippers, as they are often the first failure point on stuff that is perfectly fine otherwise. I have trouble finding button jeans I like, but I'm stubborn.

X-cpe likes this.
  3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was a button fly Levi's 501 guy since my HS days in the late '60's. Over the years they got pricey but worth it since they were still made in the USA. But of course Levi finally changed to off shore manufacturing so I made the switch to zipper fly jeans. Ended up with Rustlers by Wrangler. About a third of the price and last longer as well.

4. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

They keep changing the 501 design, too!

51504bat and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I embrace new technology, some I like some not so much. I like watching almost any show at night at home and not have to go to the picture show where some jerk is talking all the time behind me, and having instance communication, and in my daily long distance driver , all the high tech stuff that comes with it! I like being able to make reservations for RV parks and restaurants in my car going down the road( my wife does that) ! I like ordering stuff from my couch and having someone bring it to me for free, saving me gas and having to deal with some idiot and I get it cheaper! Some change is good! BUT…… I still like to play with my old cars and bikes……but I use my new cordless impact and drill on my old shit! Just my way!

Bones

6. As a youngster who loves old things, I wonder what it would be like to live back then, before the internet, I've been surrounded by old stuff my whole life, house built in 1893, neighbors house is 1908, old cars parked in the middle of nowhere, just imagining what it would be like before it started to rot... a time where your money is backed by gold, a time where you can buy a near top of the line car for only 35,000 (or 3,500 then), a time where a house was affordable and could be bought young, a time where neighbors helped one another. if someone from back then saw the world as it is now without being eased in like many were, they would be horrified.

7. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Myself I do like the new stuff to.....330 MPH Fuel cars and 700Hp street cars are something...What if people back in the day didn't like new cars... No body would have bought that new 1932 V8 Ford...I don't think the farmer would like to go back to the horse drawn plows....

8. X-cpe

X-cpe

9. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

My 3G service flip phone went obsolete March 31 2022. So I figured I had to get with the times, and got a new Android phone. Damn thing is too big, wont fit in my pocket. I still cant figure out how to answer a call before it goes to voice mail, or send a text or go on the internet a month later. I go on the internet on my PC. That Damn PC is another issue I wont get into! Should have just went with another cheapo flip phone, but thought I should modernize!

Bill

10. Budget36

Budget36

I hear ya. I learned what I know (very little) about my iPhone by googling on my Laptop;)

Boneyard51 likes this.
  11. LAROKE

LAROKE

I feel your pain. Had to do the same thing about a year ago. On the first day I said "Alexa, why so cold?" The phone said "Because I'm Siri, Jerk!". It's been downhill from there.

12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

13. cfmvw

cfmvw

The magic of Norman Rockwell never goes out of style!

olscrounger, Baumi, stanlow69 and 5 others like this.
  14. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

The single biggest downfall of modern tech is the damn cell phone always rings just as you get the difficult
    bolt that takes three hands to start to catch. Every time!

guthriesmith likes this.
  15. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Everything you do still use was considered new at its time of introduction.....and luddites resisted them as well. Do you use a wire welder? Or are you still stick and oxygen acetylene welding everything?

To each his own.

16. There is a word for that happenstance. Spelled ignore.

Ben

twenty8, jimmy six, NoelC and 3 others like this.
  17. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I'll tell you what it was like before the internet! I started writing for the car books in 1961. Stories were typed on a portable Royal and used carbon paper. Sent in a week before the deadline from San Diego to Los Angeles. If there were photos, needed to plan two weeks out, three if it was color. In those days, there were real copy editors at the magazines and if you had to rewrite the story, you missed out on a check. Payment was made on publication. If there were minor corrections, you might be able to do it over the phone....but AT&T was the only game in town and a long distance call cost money. If you were ordering a chrome widget from Honest Charlies, you had to go to the bank or post office to get a money order and send it via the USPS. Send a check and Charlie wouldn't send you the widget until your check cleared the bank....that could take up to three weeks!

Nostalgia has it's place, the good old days are in usually in your mind.

18. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

My phone is set to ring only for my contacts, it sends all others to voicemail. My mother is 94, so ignoring a call
    from a contact is not an option/

Ned Ludd and Boneyard51 like this.
  19. X-cpe

X-cpe

Give her her own ring tone?

Boneyard51 and Turnipseed like this.
  20. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

My TIG and MIG welders and hydraulic press get used daily while my acetylene torch largely collects dust.

twenty8, rockable and 210superair like this.
  21. I like the fact that a "Check Engine Light" doesn't come on in my hot rod.

Ned Ludd and williebill like this.
  22. a check engine light can come on in the engine bay...
    upload_2022-5-5_10-14-45.jpeg

23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I have the same problem. Every time I`m doing something important, or am trying to listen to something. My hearing aid battery needs changing.

24. cabong

cabong

Happened to me yesterday. I was in line at the corner sore. Damn thing did that "BEEP, BEEP, BEEP" in my ear, and I instinctively said "Shut Up".... The big gal behind me heard it..... That's when the fight started !!

stanlow69, '28phonebooth and LAROKE like this.
  25. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That’s what “leave a message” is for. Maybe you are more imPOtant than I am but I don’t even answer my cell when driving, working on my car, etc, and I can talk thru my radio hands free never leaving the steering wheel. If I’m have a conversation anywhere and that persons phone rings and they answer it I just walk away as their phone is way more imPOtant than what we were discussing.

26. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These are the good old days
    These are the good old days
    These arrrrrrARRRRRRR...
    ... the good old days.

27. I am not opposed to change or technology, but I don't understand change for the sake of change.

For example, the M.I.G. process is faster and often more efficient than S.W.A.W. (shielded metal arc welding or stick)

However, I don't understand E-Mail and texting. It often takes more time and leads to misunderstandings then a phone call or face to face meeting.
    I see it all the time at work the office staff are endlessly sending E-mails to the department heads who work on the floor.
    They don't understand that the heads of a department can't stop welding or setting up Bridgeport to run to a computer and answer an E-Mail.

A good work E-mail story-

I went to the purchasing managers office to check on the status of some material I needed to finish a job.

When I asked her she told me another person was in charge of the purchasing for the job I was working on, and she would send that person an E-Mail and have an answer for me the next day.

I replied "Why don't I just walk fifteen feet to her office, ask and have an answer in less then five minutes?"

427 sleeper and '28phonebooth like this.
  28. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Those people generally have an IQ around 50.

427 sleeper likes this.
  29. spanners

spanners

What I learnt while working at a local council was they send emails to someone in the same office so there is always a record of them having done their job, or the appearance of having done it.

30. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Nope- could be one of several caregivers taking care of her that day, she would not be the one calling.

X-cpe and Ned Ludd like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.