Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Resisting Change

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stanlow69, Apr 30, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I have a high tech sprinkler system to take care of 5 acres of grass. I can control the temperature in my house and shop with my iPhone and if there is a water leak while I’m away, I get a warning notice. I was sending stories to magazines via email in 1985 from Telluride. Got my first mobile phone in 1987.

I embrace technology as it allows me more time to enjoy my family and my cars. To each his own.

2. I still have a black & white television but due to the upgrade in wireless technology my flip phone no longer works, my wife and kids gave me a new super duper phone that no longer fits in my watch pocket and is suppose to do everything but wipe my arse, the phone is a PITA, HRP

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are new flip phones on the market.

Alcatel My Flip 2 (Unlocked) can be had online for about $25.

4. I still use a lap top computer. HRP

5. Budget36

Budget36

So no one that likes technology, do you still go out and pump the handle to get your water? Do you still build a fire to get it warmed up to bathe?
    Just effing with y’all;).
    I did try an HEI conversion on a 235 once, didn’t like the generator, so swapped back.

6. Technology is great! Just think if technology had not brought us the automobile.... we'd be swimming in horseshit!!!
    But, altering or updating technology for the sake of change or planned obsolescence is also excrement, of the bull variety! By being forced into this mode of 'buy today, throw-it-away tomorrow', we are fucking up this planet and our environment at an ever increasing pace. It's not nice to fuck with Mother Nature, and as much as we've paid the price so far, the worst is yet to come!
    "All things in moderation" applies to technology in my mind...... cell phones can be a life saver, modern electronics save energy, and, heaven forbid... electronic ignition and fuel injection are more reliable and economic over their lifespans than the old components. Having said that, one of the reasons we can modify our hobby cars is that most components, systems and designs, were used for years, with the intent of being repaired and maintained to provide a long service life. Out of this repetitive use, better materials and designs were developed, but when I see things like one-year-only headlight designs, smartphones' that are obsolete in one year, refrigerators that die in 5 years, etc., I have to question what the hell we as human beings are thinking!
    I have a cell phone, but it's a flip.... I don't 'do' Facebook or any of that crap (there are enough annoyances in life without inviting more. Besides, what the fuck do I care about pictures of your kid making faces at the camera phone... save that shit for Gramma and Grampa). I don't use 'electronic mapping (how many people have made wrong turns onto a boat ramp, or gotten directed to abandoned forest service roads.
    There's something to be said for old stuff and old ways, especially in business world 'ethics'.
    OK, I'm stepping down from the soapbox now.... carry on.
    PS: I just realized a much-needed technology for me is 'spelchdck' but that's another story!
    PPS: How many bitcoin are you asking for that car? Sheesh!!!

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  7. I still use maps to scope out a trip but I love how GPS can warn me of heavy traffic or an accident. My security cameras that notify me real time no matter where I am are the bomb! Finding original downloaded files with part numbers and cross references has been a big help.
    AMBER alerts, storm and tornado warnings…the list goes on and on. Technology can be great, you don’t have to be a geek to enjoy it. As previously stated the advancement in medical procedures is amazing. It is kind of ironic though that the technology to kill mass amounts of people is keeping right up with the ways to save them. ;)

8. twenty8

twenty8

I guess the one thing that won't change is a closed mind. Our obsession with all things old is a fun way to spend our time, but there is nothing wrong with learning how to use new technology that will be positive in our lives. The stubborn, stick-in-the-mud attitude will mean that you will miss out on some very cool stuff.
    I hope @Jigger doesn't mind me attaching his signature line. It sums it up extremely well..........
    Stand on the Rock; don't crawl under it.

9. 6sally6

6sally6

Still got the old light bulbs hanging down from the ceiling......got an outhouse and still use it....got a window fan when it gets too hot.....anybody that sez you shouldn't use pine logs to heat with is full of crap.....when we need hot water we boil it on the stove....if we don't grow it in the garden we don't eat it......still gotta clothes line stretched across the back yard and use it.....if I need to make a phone call I use the neighbors (only a two mile walk....each way!)
    Just kidding....
    6sally6

10. To quote the 1% Outlaw Biker I work with-

"I have a Smart Phone, a Facebook account, and an Evo motor. I have become everything that I hate!"

11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Corn cobs still work well in an out house.

12. Using corn cobs is more traditional.

13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

My wife is 71..o_O

firstinsteele likes this.
  14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Smart move...

15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I never said I don`t like new technology. I am just one of the last ones to jump on board with it. I still look at craigslist when I can`t sleep at 3 in the morning.

seb fontana likes this.
  16. alchemy

alchemy

I've got lectricity.

IMG_3264.JPG

And indoor plumbing. In fact I used it today, filled the sink to do the dishes after the wife made some fine vittles.

My hot rod has a flathead, with points in the distributor. The transmission shifts with my hand. The brakes have shoes, not pads.

I've never had a Facebook account. I do have an Intsagram account, but there's no pictures there.

I have bought car parts on line before, but I prefer to see them in person and hand the seller cash. I even went to a SWAP MEET this morning.

17. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Knock your self out using those.

Wanderlust likes this.
  18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I guess you don't know how to use them?

Wanderlust likes this.
  19. I had my prostate removed by a robot.

20. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Until the flood my only phone was a pink Princess. Grandson gave me his old out of date laptop 6 years ago. I made my jackstands out of scrap 2x6s. My tool boxes were given to me by a drywall finisher. I have chickens for eggs and a garden for vegetables .Luckily we have feral hogs running all over the neighborhood for meat. I have one pay ahead Visa cash card for those times I need a motel room or airline ticket. VA takes care of my medical. All this and a low-rider peekup , life is good when you keep it simple.

AHotRod and firstinsteele like this.
  21. ACB24DB4-A473-4E07-92A4-23C7F1C32C65.jpeg

Truckdoctor Andy and Wanderlust like this.
  22. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Whatever works. Lippy

23. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Indeed: me too.

However: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Package-deal_fallacy; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma

We fall into the package-deal fallacy and the false dilemma fallacy at the same time when we imagine that there are only two choices, "forwards" and "backwards." It would have been entirely possible for medical technology to have turned out pretty much like it has, but for automotive or communications technology to have turned out a lot different, if the politics and/or economics around the latter had been different.

I believe it was G. K. Chesterton who said something to the effect that, while common sense would suggest that the fact that a thing has been done proves that it can be done, there is today too often a nonsensical attitude that the fact that a thing has been done proves that it can never be done again. We've got a huge amount of technological history at our disposal, and any point in it can be a fruitful place to start innovating. It's got nothing to do with "progress"; it's all completely open and available to you and me. It depends on what you or I want to get done.

Don't imagine that growth can only happen at the tip, i.e. at the image of the present moment, the so-called cutting edge. That only happens when a thing is growing in darkness. Where did the darkness come from?

Indeed, cui bono?

brando1956, AHotRod and firstinsteele like this.
  24. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

How many here are here because of medical advances? My dad had a heart attack at 53, they did a quadruple bypass.
    I had him in my life for 36 more years. There are a lot of negatives to tech but a lot of positives also. I can barely work
    on my 2011 truck but then it ran the original plugs for over 150,000 miles. My cell phone can do much more than I will ever use it for but it works for what I need. My laptop allows me to go see my 94 year old mother and still log
    on here when she falls asleep.

25. All joking aside, I believe Ned and Jet are correct. We may not always agree with nor like tech , but the world is a better place for same. Jet,s comment on the 150,000 miles before changing spark plugs for instance. How many, if any, have a car from 1980 back that even ran 150,000? Let alone still going. OT tech did that. The 2011 will probably go another 200,000 or so.
    We joke about getting our grandkids to help with our computer or phone or whatever. WHY? Because they are not hindered with our old stick in the mud thinking.
    25, 30, or more MPG? Impossible without the tech on them. I really like my OLD Buick with the OT Tech fuel and ignition. Could it be kept running the " old original" way? Of course. Just not as well.

My 2 cents worth

Ben

26. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Technology goes as far as you want it to work for you. Once, we lived in a brand new house with tons of large rooms and each room was wired for category 5 cable Ethernet. It was new technology at the time. Each room had an outlet, but as old folks, we used the TV room for our old TV and the office area for the cat 5 services to make our old desktop computer work.

Our son insisted that we had to get email and mobile phones. Our landline was working just fine, so we resisted the mobile phones for a few more months. Then one of our family members got sick and communication at odd ball hours was necessary. So, we got our first flip phone. No texting or if we had to, that alphabet phone keyboard was enough to throw the phone across the room. It was not the best thing going to send a message.

Since we had to be on call for our parents’ care, we both had flip phones. Then calling was instant wherever we were. That was handy.

Jnaki

Eventually, we got upgraded to more ingenious phones. Then came the better home computers and laptops. They were still huge and heavy, but, at least one could be portable with a few cords attached. So, how did the cat 5 home work out? It was too big for our tastes and we found a quieter smaller home, less technology involved and felt more at home. But, now the race was on for better phones and computers. Faster is better. We just learned how to work and support each other's skills or lack thereof.

So, now, we are as well off as technology is concerned. We have fast phones, plenty of external storage and communication is doubled with my wife's phone during the beginning of the lock down pandemic curse. Facetime with our granddaughter was as if she were right there talking to us like old times. As old folks we looked weird on the Facetime screen. But as a 14 to 16 year old teenager, nothing or no angle of the phone made her look as bad as we looked on the phone screen.

Since we looked awful on the small screen, we just ignored the suggestion to use our larger tablets and the large 17 inch laptop screen. Ha, a couple of old folks on a 17 inch screen should scare enough of our granddaughter's friends for the next Halloween festivities. But, technology works for us

We are still old school as far as writing letters and thank you notes. But, it is more convenient to talk on the phone and text when necessary. Our landlines are history and we only have a couple of phones for communication. My wife used her phone like a camera and some of her results are pretty outstanding with the Apple technology. Besides, no one knows where we are if the GPS is turned off. Ha!

But, I still use my small pocket size digital camera(s) for 95% of our photos and films. My wife kept feeling sorry for me using an old digital camera with a Leica Lens and got me a newer version. That camera stays in the cabinet until a ballet concert or performance gets our attention. Old is still good and it is fairly simple to use good composition as learned in a previous life, to get quality photos from new technology.

Here is a dilemma… our daily drivers are 17 years old for me and 7 years old for my wife. She likes her new technology in her little station wagon and wont even consider a different car, for now. But, every time she gets into my old 17 year old car, she hears a little bump here and a little noise there. So, her conversation is to get a new car for me.
    upload_2022-5-2_4-19-1.png
    We are talking an old 1940 Ford Sedan/SBC motor/A/C, that is updated and would be fun to do our daily/weekly errand short drives, even with our granddaughter, before she goes off to college. But, on the next level, my wife’s perusing her own computer has come up with a small station wagon with more horsepower and AWD than we have ever had in our previous cars. So, she is pushing that version to upgrade our automotive technology for the last time…
    “AINT LOVE GRAND?" YRMV

27. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

My problem w/technology is three-fold:
    1st: I can't afford most of it, 'till it's rolling way down the other side of the bell-curve.
    2nd: I have difficulty understanding it - love to see when it works correctly.
    3rd: All of the good stuff, & a lot of the bad, has & is being weaponized against *us*. Like Carlin said" It's a small world clik & we ain't in it!" . Eventually, some of it trickles down in a good(albeit altered so's it doesn't work as well as it should) form to us, long after the damage is done.
    Marcus...

28. 76110C9A-7EB4-4F85-9C73-E34F2F367C89.jpeg
    I guess technically, the only true rebels are the guys that never use this place

29. I am typing this by hitting a rock with a stick. My Dad gave me the stick to use to hunt critters.

30. twenty8

twenty8

A love of old times, things or places that make us happy is called nostalgia. It is good for the soul, and gives us balance in our lives. A rejection of all things new can be based in fear and anxiety, and is an entirely different animal. Not so good.......
    Your mind's pond will grow stagnant if the water does not flow, grasshopper.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.