Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rescued '30 five window, I have questions....

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HipCat427w, Dec 23, 2017.

1. HipCat427w

HipCat427w

Hey you guys... I rescued this homeless 30’ five window and I just don’t know anything about them. I am a 60’s muscle car guy and never thought I would have the good fortune of an A coupe falling in my lap. So, I made friends with it, cleaned it up and it spent its first week indoors in who knows how long.

I have this chassis and a current title, the engine number matches the title, the speedo says 55K and the frame numbers are pitted away w the acception of the last number which does match and a faint star.

I am torn between X bracing and boxing this frame or just buying a frame and getting this frame/engine/title over to the factory restoration guys.

QUESTIONS :

1. How much do you guys think this combo is really worth as it sits?

2. Do you guys think this frame with an X brace and boxing would be ok for a GM 5.3/700R4 combo for mild daily driving? Mild spinning, chirp 2nd... etc...

I appreciate any advice you guys may have.

Thank you and Merry Christmas !!....

2. HipCat427w

HipCat427w

3. HipCat427w

HipCat427w

4. I build a 30 on the original frame with a ford 302 and a c4.
    Boxed the frame ,split the wishbone and a 86 ford ranger rear end.
    It loves to go fast and is a donut monster.

5. Hard to place value when we cant see the body.
    BTW all Model "A" coupes are 5 window.
    For you pedants out there, I know all about Sport Coupes, etc and the two 3 window factory prototypes

belair, norms30a, B Bay Barn and 5 others like this.
  6. I would not sell the frame and title.Those frames have been used for years for bigger,stronger engines.

loudbang and Torkwrench like this.
  7. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Fenderless ? ... if yes buy a '32 style frame, the A frame gets narrower than the body as it flows towards the rear, at a few feet from the car the A frame seems to disappear under the body, making the body look like it sits too high... a '32 style runs along the same arch as the body...
    do what YOU want but go look at some As on A frames... from a distance you don't notice, but as you get closer to it the A frame fades under the body... hope it makes sense ...

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  8. HipCat427w

HipCat427w

I am keeping the body...

9. Then I don't understand your question. You asked what is this combo worth. Without seeing the "combo", nobody can tell you what its worth. The chassis with a matching title is worth more than a pile of parts. Since the only legible number is on the engine, once you pull it out and replace it with a V8, the title becomes moot. I suspect the value of the chassis might be 800-1200 bucks

B Bay Barn and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

11. HipCat427w

HipCat427w

Yes, that was my question. I was wondering how much this chassis and motor would be worth to the factory original guys since the motor matches the title. How deep can it get me into a new chassis if I just turn this frame and running gear over to the original guys. So yeah, 1000 bucks or so ...

12. HipCat427w

HipCat427w

Thank you Hot Rods to Hell !!...

13. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Sold this one without the grill and cowl for $900.00 this spring... too cheap, the 2nd owner from me had it running/ driving in an hour...
    . DSCN0620.JPG

kiwijeff likes this.
  14. flatford39

flatford39

I think you are going to need the title for your project. It would get it transferred to your name ASAP. Frame and engine as long as the motor isn't stuck could be $300.00 to $900.00 depending where you live.

15. HipCat427w

HipCat427w

Yeah, I think you guys are right. I better keep the title and just sell/trade the other stuff for what I need...

16. Keep the title and the frame with the matching number. If you live in California (where in general do you live?) I am guessing you could start with the title and matching frame and have the DMV assign a new number to your new frame but ASK THE DMV!!

Charlie Stephens

loudbang likes this.
  17. HipCat427w

HipCat427w

You can't really see any numbers on the frame. This is the body for my project, and the fender is a test for the satin clear... I think it looks really good! I might shoot the body tomorrow just see how it looks and Acart.jpg Atestfnd.jpg to cover it while it's being worked on...

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  18. 1pickup

1pickup

There's no way that thing is 30'. Looks to be only about half that long.
    Now that's out of the way, your '30 frame makes a good basis for a hot rod. Box it, Z the rear, dropped axle, etc. And, you have the title that matched the frame. Sounds like a no brainer to me.

deadbeat and 283john like this.
  19. HipCat427w

HipCat427w

I just can't seem to put the apostrophe on the front side....
    The only question was if this set up is something the factory guys really need, and if I will get registration documentation with a new chassis anyway... I would let the factory guys have this set up...

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  20. dwollam

dwollam

Like your MG!

Dave

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

The title matching number BS depends on what state you live in. Here in Connecticut the DMV throws them in the trash. That rolling chassis may bring $1,500, more if it is running/driving. Body does look like a keeper, check out the 1932 frames. Bob....................What is the story with the MGA Coupe?????

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  22. HipCat427w

HipCat427w

Thanks you guys... MGA coupe is the project I was right in the middle of when the A coupe followed me home... It's my cobra light, 180HP 60 degree v6. neat little car... I'm going to wrap the headers so pay no attention to the giant welds...
    MGA3.4.jpg.jpg

23. FYI....more bare chassis's running - around than restorers need.......maybe a banger will have a need....still more running bangers out there........

slv63 likes this.
  24. bchctybob

bchctybob

As someone said previously I would get it registered or at least get registration started in your name immediately before you spend any money on it. If you buy a chassis from certain builders they might stamp the numbers on the new frame for you. In California a person can sometimes re-activate the old chassis numbers so if you sell it off before getting the car in your name, when you finally get around to it, you may find it already registered - to the guy you sold the frame to. (ask me how I know)
    If you are planning on running full fenders you probably don't want to change to the '32 frame. With full fenders an updated and lowered Model A frame is fine. If you are going fenderless, the '32 frame looks better IMHO.

belair, waxhead and WTF really like this.
  25. HipCat427w

HipCat427w

Thank you gentlemen !... My wife and I have looked at a few cars and at this moment we like this one... 1931 A.png

deadbeat, wheeldog57, dwollam and 3 others like this.
  26. missysdad1

missysdad1

Rule #1: Get the title transferred to your name before you do anything else.

Rule #2: Don't sell anything until the car is done.

Rule #3: Find a photo of a car exactly like what you want to build, then "build the picture" as Chip Foose would say.

These are three hard-earned rules the result of many hard-learned lessons. Good luck with your build.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    clem, deadbeat, studebaker46 and 11 others like this.
  27. missysdad1

missysdad1

In my humble opinion, this is the way to plan your car. Find a photo - as you have - and then build the car to the photo.

In this case, the car of your dreams uses a Model A frame, SO DON'T SELL YOUR FRAME!

Also, before you set to chopping or channeling your car like the one in your photo, be sure you will fit and be comfortable in a similarly-modified car. If possible, go to a rod run and ask the guy who owns one if you can sit in his car. Don't take anybody's word for this...especially if your lady will be going places with you. Ladies don't like being all cramped up and will soon find reasons to stay home...

Holding off on your build until you've got a firm idea of what you're going to build - and why - will save you both time and money in the long run. Might help your marriage, too.

28. HipCat427w

HipCat427w

Yes it's settled as far as the title... I will get it put in my name during the week.

29. Re-read , memorize, and follow MissysDad1's advice. :cool:

30. Yep,
    Then when some poor guy tries to bring that car from Connecticut to a title state like Ohio ,,, boy oh boy does he have an ass ache to deal with.

Ask me how I know

loudbang, us054382 and Clay Belt like this.