Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods reproduction parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PIECRUST&RUST, Apr 8, 2020.

1. PIECRUST&RUST

PIECRUST&RUST
    from kansas

I'm finding more and more that alot of reproduction parts are just plain crap. I bought 2 brand new window regulators for my model T and after a few uses the passenger side wouldn't move any more. I figured it must have slid out of the track. The pins for the arm actually snapped in half as I was pulling the regulator out. (glad my thumb didnt get broke got wacked by the arm under spring pressure). I dug out an old crusty regulator and soaked it in some oil and it works great, actually smoother and easier to turn than the repro.

I'm going to really start making an effort to just fix old original parts where possible. Its really frustrating having new parts break like that. 3 years ago I had a starter switch where the plunger broke off and almost burned up my starter, luckily I had a wrench with me to disconnect the battery.

I know this is nothing new, complaints about new part quality have been around for awhile. I do find it somehow satisfying that a crusty 93 year old part shown some love saved the day.
    20200405_143726.jpg

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

No fun doing twice the work , spending money and back to square one .

dana barlow likes this.
  3. krbstr

krbstr

My cousin is fighting a very similar issue in his ‘54 Chevy truck. He bought repop regulators because his old ones were seized up. The new regulators rock the glass back and forth on the way up making it difficult to operate the window. Unfortunately for him he tossed the old ones. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Baumi likes this.
  4. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Ive been fixing cheap shit for years , I mean , who the hell builds small floor jacks? they last a month before seepage and the friggin wheels fall off.

5. 2935ford

2935ford

There is no substitute for original parts. I've learned my lesson!

6. partssaloon

partssaloon

Hope he doesn't have to buy replacement door latches!

Baumi likes this.
  7. dwollam

dwollam

I find a lot of Vintique parts are crappy or don't fit right. Their Model A halogen headlight reflectors are nearly useless. Bright but unfocused so they leave a black hole in the light pattern so you can't see where you are going. Why can't they make them correct? I won't go on about all the other parts that fit terrible.

Dave

Latigo and olscrounger like this.
  8. The only way we can help solve the problem is when we get a crappy part, send it back. If the vendor doesn't handle the return to your satisfaction post their name here (and tell them you are doing it) with an honest description of what is going on.

Charlie Stephens

9. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

When I built the '54 F 100 I quickly discovered that Chinese 16 Ga. seems to be thinner than American 16 Ga.

10. Gman0046

Gman0046

ALL Chinese repop's are inferior in fit and finish. I only use OEM parts or do without.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  11. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I wish I could find NOS or decent original parts. I bought new outside door handles for my 64 C10 pickup and they rusted in the first month.

LAROKE likes this.
  12. Why didn't you just soak the original window mechanism to start with ? That would have saved you time, money, and aggravation.

13. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

14. squirrel

squirrel

I doubt the regulator is the problem...probably has more to do with the fit of the glass (too loose).

But anyways, yeah, I do whatever I can to avoid using repop parts.

15. clem

clem

more profit to make something cheap that lasts 1 - 5 years and then sell you another , than to make something that lasts a life time and they only sell you one.........

echo ed and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  16. BJR

BJR

The only thing that came from China that actually works is that damn virus .:eek:

17. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I soaked the window regs and the wiper transmissions in oil because repop ones don’t exist (for my car). I can’t believe how nice 81 year old parts work with a little cleaning and lube.

Desoto291Hemi and triumph 1 like this.
  18. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remember this when you look at a real NOS part and think it's WAY to expensive.

Hnstray and LAROKE like this.
  19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

repop parts are like the old swap situation: buyer looking at part asks "what does it fit?" seller says "what do you have?" this, fits '32 Ford to '54 Hudson (with slight modification)

X-cpe and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  20. manyolcars

manyolcars

80 year old window regulators work so well, it makes me wonder why anyone would install electric windows with switches and motors that burn out.I have seen people who have to open the door to get their stuff at McDonalds drive thru and saw a video yesterday where the guy stretched too far and actually fell out of the car which was still in gear...

21. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

You can add those rubber Model A & T front door retainer straps that have been around for years and still they sell them. You know they are not even fit for purpose as they are actually handle/straps for audio equipment originally.
    The rubber quality is crap and does not last or fold away neat enough to be out of the way in the cab once the door is closed. JUNK...

22. That’s metric 16 gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. Nothing new in this situation. I bought a set of '28 roadster p/u door latches and strikers for my current project ...latches look good and operate good, strikers look good also, however they don't work together. Had to massage the new Brookville doors slightly to get the latches to fit. Now I'll massage the strikers til they release from the latches.

I get disappointed, but here I am with one mfg's door, another's latch and a third's striker for a 92 year old car and I expect them to all play nice together. I've learned to get over it and carry on.

24. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

soaked my regulators in a solution 1 part molasses and 8 parts water. They move freely now. austin-window-regulators-before-after.jpg

25. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

You mean that Chinese 18ga might actually be the elusive 19 ga. that's so hard to find?

26. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Most of the time just cleaning parts is worth the time. I was rebuilding the regulators for awhile. They sell the kits.
    This is from Mac's.
    This one is for 1927-1931.
    Model A Ford Window Regulator Repair Kit - Small 5 Tooth Gear

[​IMG]

Click on above image to view full picture(s)

More Views
    • [​IMG]

Part #: 28-23460-1
    Alt Part #: A48105ARK
    Price:
    $29.99 Kit
    [​IMG] GUARANTEED SAME DAY SHIPPING
    Order by 2pm E.T. ships today (M-F)
    Availability:
    In Stock
    Fitment:
    1926 thru 1931
    See applications below for exact details.

Qty:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  27. LAROKE

LAROKE

Got these repop parking lights for my '55 1st Series Chevy 3100 pickup. The plastic lens kept cracking around the screw bosses and falling off. I went thru three sets before I figured it out. The gasket is cork. Water would swell the cork and break the lens. Wondering why the originals didn't have this problem, I dug them out of my junk stash and found that the screws had shoulders so when they were tightened, the lens had some wiggle room. The repops had cheaper screws that were threaded their entire length.

[​IMG]

28. Callmaker

Callmaker

And FUCK the American companies that sell the stuff.

echo ed likes this.
  29. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

My experience with “exact reproduction “ parts for Musclecars is that they seldom are. I expect the same holds true for most classic car parts. Buyer beware...

30. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I think it is because ‘buyers’.....in the majority go for cheap price first. The maker that builds quality in has to charge more.....but won’t get enough sales to make it a going business.

You can primarily blame the public, ‘consumers’ for the plethora of cheap poorly made parts.

The frustrating thing is, that ‘buyers’ who ARE willing to pay more to get a quality part often cannot find that item in the market place for the reason stated above. Repro parts is not a huge volume market, unlike household goods, appliances, etc., where there is sufficient demand at various price points to support quality goods priced accordingly.

Ray

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Kan Kustom, realsteeler and LAROKE like this.