Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Replacing 1904 carb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Travis wager, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Travis wager

Travis wager

I am currently running a 215 with a glass bowl 1904 carb in a 52 Mainline. Unfortunately the carb has been molested pretty bad by the previous owner and is missing a couple parts. I would love to keep this carb but it seems that it is somewhat challenging finding replacement parts for it. The goal for this car is to drive the heck out of it. I’m not the type of guy to own a garage queen. With that goal in mind would I be money ahead replacing my carb with a different model. If it is smarter to swap to a different carb what model would be a better decision.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. It shouldn't be to hard to find parts or another carb...Ford used them(with a metal float bowl) up til '64 on the 223. IH scouts/trucks also used them for years. I have several parts carbs, what parts do you need?
    Be aware that your stock loadamatic distributor will only work correctly with that carb's vacuum signal. If you change/upgrade to a different carb, you will also have to upgrade the ignition.

town sedan likes this.
  3. Travis wager

Travis wager

I was wondering about the vacuum. So that answers that question. I need the entire choke set up and missing one of the four clips that holds the bowl on. The accelerator pump lever was broke but I was able to find another. Once I get the missing parts I’m going to grab a carb rebuild kit from mikes carburetor.

4. carbking

carbking

Might be easier to find an identical carb (what is the list number on yours?) and marry the two.

Jon.

egads and town sedan like this.

5. Travis wager

Travis wager

6. carbking

carbking

Turn the carb so you can read the word "HOLLEY" on the bowl. Armed with a strong light, a good magnifying glass, and most importantly, a pair of "young eyes"; look at the boss holding the fuel inlet. It will be stamped there.

Jon.

7. Travis wager

Travis wager

After looking again I have the 1920. Is the vacuum the same on all the 1904’s?