Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Repairing an abused & wrecked 5-window coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocket's Hot Rod Garage, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Corner all welded up and tacked onto door. IMG_3159.JPG IMG_3160.JPG IMG_3163.JPG

2. Got that right!

loudbang likes this.
  3. Pete

Pete

Superb work. I totally appreciate true craftsmen.

4. Worked out the inner structure parts. These pictures explain the removal of inner. Weld primed, chopped and ready to re-install now that the outside is all welded up and finished out.
    IMG_3164.JPG IMG_3168.JPG IMG_3165.JPG IMG_3167.JPG IMG_3169.JPG

catdad49, kiwijeff, mgtstumpy and 2 others like this.
  5. Inner structure welded back in & all finished out! Now on to repairing the driver door top & making it fit the new A-pillar.

IMG_3166.JPG IMG_3170.JPG IMG_3171.JPG IMG_3174.JPG IMG_3175.JPG IMG_3202.JPG

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

IMHO, that leading 'upper curve' Mike fabricated has to be the hardest area to repair (correctly)
    Let me comment on the construction of that piece, where the metal has to be 'pinch-formed' to double over at the radius. (and how it's NOT a continuing circle)
    O.K., now we know 'It can be done'... but My Goodness, that's the way. I'm impressed, and empowered.
    Great tips here, thanks to the guys at the Rocket Garage!
    This really helps in the repair of my 'T' doors, lower cowling fold, and other 'elusive' stuff.

czuch, Johnboy34, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  7. Rusty

Rusty

loudbang likes this.
  8. We've made allot of progress on the coupe, just to busy to post updates lately. The driver side door was previously chopped and pretty messed up. We installed a new door skin previously but needed to make the door top fit the new A-pillar profile. The driver door......

IMG_3330.JPG IMG_3334.JPG
    Mike tore it all apart.
    IMG_3331.JPG
    IMG_3328.JPG

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Excellent work. Well done.

10. Beautiful work, HRP

11. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Very, very nice work, that 5W will be so much better than it was to begin with. Something to be proud of. Thanks for the photos.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Just read this front to back. Excellent workmanship to say the least. I picked up a couple fabrication tips along the way. Well done!

loudbang likes this.
  13. Re-building the front door corner to match the new/repaired A-pillars.
    IMG_3327.JPG IMG_3341.JPG IMG_3340.JPG IMG_3342.JPG IMG_3344.JPG IMG_3343.JPG

14. Great work gentlemen. The door looks good. Heck, the whole thing looks good. Awesome job.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  15. IMG_3345.JPG

The upper door edge gap was messed up so it was decided to add to the top of the door to correct the gap and repair the upper door edge.

IMG_3346.JPG IMG_3347.JPG IMG_3350.JPG IMG_3348.JPG

16. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

Great work

loudbang likes this.
  17. brady1929

brady1929

Love your work and welding.

loudbang likes this.
  18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Man, I got to get a TIG unit, used to Heliarc aluminum bodies back in the '80's just never had a steel unit to use, your welds look great. Bob

loudbang likes this.
  19. Hammered & finished out door top.
    IMG_3349.JPG

Now to finish up the inner structure.

IMG_3353.JPG

kiwijeff, el Roach and loudbang like this.
  20. IMG_3328.JPG

Mike completely remade the inside door corner structure.

IMG_3354.JPG IMG_3356.JPG

21. Doors all wrapped up. Just need to install drip rails, some gap work and do the new moldings. IMG_3357.JPG IMG_3358.JPG

22. This is coming along very nice.
    Those A pillars were a shocking mess, I'll bet the guy who built em originally, was proud of his lead work, lol.

Something I've been wondering, and I don't want to sound like a dick, but using weld through primer in hard to reach areas...
    As primer is porous, why bother using it, if you can't top coat it later?
    It won't stop rust from moisture and condensation.

23. mike bowling

mike bowling

At first I questioned the "full on" approach to repair this body ( which I am totally unqualified to do ,BTW). After having seen the actual state of it disclosed, and the previous "repair" work come to light, the resurrection is amazing. No shortcuts, and the metal fab and installation is mind boggleing.
    Thanks for the descriptions and photos- it's been a real education on "The RIGHT Way" to do things.

An awestruck backyard hacker in Mass.

loudbang and koolkemp like this.
  24. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Well, there went 20 minutes of HAMBin with my mouth hangin open.
    From the impact dent in the wheel for scale, to the last post.
    I'm amazed. Gads, you guys do some fiiiine work.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Drip rails installed & doors fit. Now to mock up rear end and pull body off the chassis to send back to the owner for paint. That pretty much wraps up the metal work part on our end.

IMG_3359.JPG IMG_3361.JPG

26. Pete

Pete

After looking at your work I feel like such a hack...thanks

27. brady1929

brady1929

28. atch

atch

1. I love reading posts like this because they let me see how good things can be...

2. I hate reading posts like this because they show me just how crude and unskilled I really am...

R A Wrench, Just Gary and koolkemp like this.