Register now to get rid of these ads!

repainting engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rdynes01, Jun 25, 2013.

1. rdynes01

rdynes01
    from colorado

I just picked up the crate motor for my T bucket and it came black from GM.Can I just repaint it the color I want or do I have some serious prep ahead?

2. Scumdog

Scumdog

If it hasn't been run/doesn't have any oil or grease on it?
    Mask off the bits you dont want paint on and slop on any colour you want - old fashioned oil-based enamel will do the trick.

Use a brush - after all it's rough old cast iron your painting, brush marks won't show and you won't waste paint as you would by spraying the paint on. (Less chance of runs too!)

3. shocker998md

shocker998md

I clean it real good. You dont want any oils, wire wheel or brush and flaking paint and then use engine enamal. Seems to work for me. Just make sure that its 100% clean and your good.

4. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I'd shoot it with Easy Off to remove the unknown paint, power wash that stuff off, then spray it with a primer and finish coat.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Even brand, spanky new engine is going to have areas where it was touched with possibly greasy fingerprints or maybe grease itself. Wiping down with a grease remover and possibly a tack rag is good insurance towards a show car style paint finish.

6. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

If you aren't going to strip the old paint, then scuffing it up with a scotch brite pad or fine sand paper will help to promote adhesion as well.