Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Removing Y Block Heads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigdaddyslip, Jan 13, 2016.

1. I'm having difficulty removing the heads off my moms T Bird and was wondering if there are Any tricks out there.

I have the heads stripped down to only the valves and springs. Intake and valley pan are off. All bolts are removed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Dead blow malet on the side on the head and a pry bar down into an intake port to help break the head gasket seal. It may have old sealant on the gasket bonding it to the block. Lightly pull back on the pry bar in the intake ports and it will eventually brake free from the block and the dowls.

3. 2x^ that's how I removed mine.....

4. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

are you sure ALL the bolts are out.......I remember a picture in david visard's sbc rebuild book showing the bottom of an sbc head broken off because the would be mechanic did not realize there were bolts that were not under the valve cover.....the text said he had used pry bars hammers and wedges......

5. Tedd

Tedd

If you end up using a pry bar in the intake ports to lever the heads off of the block, then be sure to check the intake sealing surfaces on those heads to insure you did not dimple or deform the sealing surface. Any imperfections here can contribute to a vacuum leak later if not taking care of this before reassembling the engine. Ted Eaton

6. sunbeam

sunbeam

Did you remove 10 head bolts?