Register now to get rid of these ads!

removing old crusty intakes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BlackFlag, May 24, 2006.

1. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

Alright, I decided today would be a good day to swap out my intake. So I get to work and removed all of the bolts, carb. and linkage have been gone for a while. Heater hoses have been removed as well as all the vacuum lines. I also took off the coil (mounted to one of the bolt holes) and so now everything is stripped off it and it isnt being held by anything. I went in with a screwdriver and scraped most of the shit that had built up from years of who knows what and took a shop vac to it to prevent anything from falling somewhere it shouldnt. Now I hit the problem. This thing is really on there. I cant get it off. Is there some trick to this or should I stop being such a woman about it and keep pulling on it. Valve covers and Dizzy are off as well. Im starting to think this 302 is against me.

2. Hemi-roid

Hemi-roid
    from Cary, IL

I can loan you my BFCB :D The bigger the crowbar, the easier it is to get the manifold off.

3. Fossil

Fossil

You usually have to pry up gently on it. Trying to "pull"it up won't always work, but if you break the gasket seal by prying it will usually pop free. Try to find an edge where you can work a flat bladed tool under it a little and gently start applying pressure. Might have to work from several edges and take your time. You are SURE all of the bolts are out, right?

-Scott

4. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

Yeah, that was the first thing I checked. Well, time for the little ones to go to sleep, so I get to stop wrenching, maybe Ill get it tommarow.

5. repoman

repoman

Take a BFH and give it a mild wack on the nose.

If that doesn't work...

1. Talk dirty to it.

2. Nibble gently on the ear.

3. Buy it a pair of shoes.

If none of that works, just drop your pants and wave your pecker at it. If nothing happens, go take a cold shower.

6. mikekillstheday

mikekillstheday

You might have better luck than me because it only works about 17% of the time for me. Mostly i just get arrested.

7. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Been there and done it, all you have to do is use your prybar in the front above the waterpump and it should pop right off.I've had to do this on every damn smallblock Ford I ever owned.

8. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

Well, turns out all you gotta do is drop your trousers and say "Look b*tch, IM HUNG!" And things just work. I had to slap it once or twice though, stubborn little bastard...

9. repoman

repoman

I am the Tech Master!

10. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

Truely. Actually, I sat on the cowl, put my feet on the radiator support, and a prybar in the water neck. My mom bust out laughing when she pulled up.