Register now to get rid of these ads!

Removing front fenders+wheel wells on 49-52 Chevy Cars for engine swap,

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Camel City Skull, Nov 10, 2008.

1. I've never had to do this before, could someone save me a few minutes and tell me where the fenders are fastened to the frame/firewall etc? THANKS!!!

2. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

It's been a long time since I had my '53, but if I remember there's one at top of fender near windshield, one at bottom near rocker panel and the usual ones that bolt to inner fenders and radiator support.
    The hood springs are a bitch!
    There's a tool now for them I think.
    I would take the fenders off first and then work on the hood springs.
    When putting it back together I would put the hood on first and then the springs and then I would put the fenders on.
    That's what I remember.
    I'm sure there's someone else on here that may have better information.
    Good luck.

3. aldixie

aldixie

Are you trying to take the front end off in one piece or several? I second the hood springs they are a bitch to take off and put on. I've just put mine back together.

If your taking it fully apart, there is a bolt either side of the screen at the top. Bolts along the top of each inner fender, two bolts either side on the inner fender just before the spings, 3 bolts either side at the fire wall, lower fender near the door one bolt either side that bolts through the front of the rocker panel. Inner splash guard has three bolts underneath both sides. Three bolts either side of the radiator. Working under the front of the fenders bolts/metal screws either side that bolt the grill in place and the front apron.

This is all from memory so I might of missed a couple.

Alex

4. You can take the fenders, grille and radiator support off as one big unit. Might make it less work trying to align things again when you put it back on.

As for the hood springs, open the hood, get a bunch of washers or coins or whatever, stick them into the spring so it can't compress, close the hood a little and you can take them right out.

5. This is the BEST way to do what you need done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    take it all apart in pieces..totally unnecessary...

6. Well the grille is allready gone, and the replacement will be fully custom. So I think I might as well go ahead and take it appart in pieces. partly for storage cause it will be a while before the punk is reassembled.

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Have you actually LOOKED at the car to see how it's assembled? Two bolts under the radiator support, one at each upper corner of the fender, one or two on the undersides of the fender to frame, several on each inner fender at the frame as a rule for early 50's GM stuff. As far as not taking it apart, if you're not going to clean it up and paint the componants, leave it together, but if you want it to look nice when it's all back together, blow it apart and at least clean the old undercoating and rust off and paint the bits.