Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Removing Front Clip on a '54 Ranch Wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51504bat, Sep 11, 2019.

1. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm getting ready to pull the 239 and 3 speed in my '54 Ranch Wagon to install a 302 and AOD. In the process I'm going to completely rebuild the front end with new parts including the springs and rewire the entire car. It's been suggested that I should pull the front clip off to make things easier for all the work that is going to be done. Don't know how hard it is to pull the front clip or if it would be worth the effort. Anyone pulled the front clip off a '54 Ford and if so how intensive is the process? I realize that it would be much easier to do everything that I'm planning on without the fenders, etc. in the way but don't know if I'm asking for more trouble by doing so. Thanks all.

2. Biggest hassle will be rusty bolts, usually the lower ones that attach the fenders to the body being the worst ones; don't be surprised if you end up having to repair those attachment points. Use plenty of penetrating oil on all the bolts before removing. You'll need three people (or two very strong ones) to horse the clip off. Keep track of any body shims you may find.

If the exterior paint/finish is nice, you'll have to be very careful not to damage the paint, the major downside...

51504bat likes this.
  3. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I always do this, pull the doghouse (as we call them), sit on the tire and work on the motor.

51504bat likes this.
  4. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

No need to pull the front clip if the engine and transmission is out you will have plenty of room to work on the suspension. Sent you a message.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    51504bat likes this.

5. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Ask HRP how he did his Wife's ranchwagon

51504bat and Texas Webb like this.
  6. Where's that HRP when you need him ? I'd take off the radiator support bolts - then look for the fender to firewall are bolts - and the lower rocker panel bolts - lotsa cars are similar - just took off a 1956 Chrysler front clip - WITH HELP....

Blue One and 51504bat like this.
  7. I'd try to avoid taking it off. I did my entire '59 Ford front end with it on, even the engine swap.

51504bat likes this.
  8. Being from Cali your car should really not be that bad to pull the front clip off.

Couple bolts for the fenders and a couple for the rad support, Like one stated the hard ones will be the lower fender bolts.

Does make things a LOT easer to work on when all that stuff out of your way, Plus you can clean the frame rails and firewall much better.

You wont have to worry about leaning over the fenders and such.

EDIT: Besides if you do have some rust at the bottom of the fenders it is easier to repair off the car anyways.

51504bat and Texas Webb like this.
  9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks to all for the replies. After reading all of them plus the ones on the Barn I'm probably leave well enough alone and not pull the clip.

10. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Or better yet, ask his wife and why did it take so long!!

Blue One likes this.
  11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta