Register now to get rid of these ads!

Removing body from frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jrolla2k3, Mar 1, 2008.

1. jrolla2k3

jrolla2k3

Just curious what you guys, who like me, have no lift to remove a body off your frames are doing? I know how to seperate the two, just dont know how to go about getting the body off the frame... Im guessing jackstands, some beer, and a few buddys?? Btw its a 53 Chebbie if anyone's curious...:D

Jaison

2. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

I say beer and four guys....

3. Tindall

Tindall

this is how i took my Model a off the frame, i built a wooden structure to go through the windows and then took the wheels off and let the frame right out from under the car
    [​IMG]

4. Fossil

Fossil

I was able to do mine alone with an engine crane. I had 4 metal sawhorses and 2-4x4's ready. lifted the front up and supported it with the horses and timber. Then I did the rear the same way. I left the body up on the horses while I worked on the chassis,and I was able to roll the chassis out from under it when I needed to. Lowered it down the same way.

-Scott

5. With a 53 chebby I would say 6 guys. And one to move the stands around or pull the frame out.

6. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

I had a cherry picker and bought this "H" thing advertised in Hemmings.

Attached Files:

7. i agree with fordnutz...a `53 chevy body is heavy so you will need at least 6 STRONG guys , or you will need some sort of lift

8. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

Sure would like to borrow your H thing sometime.

Gary

9. ttarver

ttarver
    from austin

I just did my '49 chevy and we had to get creative and it was still super sketchy! I pulled the wheels and let the drums rest on dollies. Jacked the thing what seemed like a mile in the air and shimmied the frame out the side.

Goood luck! Mine had all the front sheet metal removed and no interior and four guys still couldn't do it. I would go for at least six people. Or just try it my way! Oh yeah, turns out jack stands two feet in the air on a not so level driveway are a little hairy!!!! HaHaHa

10. The_Monster

The_Monster

I welded up a body dolly that was the same hieght of the frame rails. I used locking rollers too which was a really good idea. Welded in some support beams inside the body to keep everything true and elimate flex. Disconnected the steering and floor shift, and anything that would get in the way of a slide. Then my brother and I just walked it over until half the body was on the steel and just slid the rest over. Now I can roll it around the garage and outside. Worked pretty cool :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

That's how we did my '39 except we used ratchet straps through the windshield and rear windows. Worked out great. Mike

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When we pulled the body off My Merc we use the chain hoist at the front and the cherry picker at the rear. It took a bit of a side to side ballencing act but it was pretty easy.

I've been watching my neighbor use two stacks of pallets and a couple of big wood beams to lift the engine out of his semi so anything is possible.

If you have a cherry picker you could lift one end and block it up and then lift the other end and drag the frame out from under it.

13. BadLuck

BadLuck

I was able to separate the body and frame on my 52 chevy by myself...used an engine hoist and jack stands..I also borrowed my buddies tire "skates" and was able to slide the frame out sideways pretty easily....If not...you definitley need six guys! Good luck..:)

14. Mudville

Mudville

Guess we cheated. Used a 2-post lift in my buddy's shop. Used the lift to raise the body off the frame and just rolled the chassis out. Didn't need any extra help, but the beer would have been nice!

15. we bought some r.v. camper jacks and used 4x4's through the windows. i'll post pics on monday.

16. Abomination

Abomination

EXACTLY!

Find a guy with a lift. Roll the car up on it. and have him lift the body off the frame. Roll your rolling chassis back onto the trailer and take it home, then come back for the body with some heavy-duty casters on some railroad ties to put it on, and some ratcheting tie-downs!

~Jason

17. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

well i see when the time comes for me to lift off the 49 im going to post a thread tell you where i am and have plenty of Memphis BBQ and Beer for everyone!!!!

18. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

come along to the ceiling

Attached Files:

19. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Friends ...

[​IMG]

With a car as heavy as your Chevy ... 6 or more ;)

20. Abomination

Abomination

Man, I thought Kansas City BBQ was the best...

:D

~Jason

21. WQ59B

WQ59B

R&R's the shell on my '59 Buick coupe: 3 guys lifted the front, another put the 35-gallon drums & 4x4 under that, then we used an engine hoist to lift the rear (more 35-gal drums & a 4x4.
    I welded up a steel dolly frame that hit 6 of the body mounts, plenty of room to work underneath it.
    Put the body back down front & rear with the hoist- could've done it myself I think. B-59 shell must weight a bit more than a bare C-54 shell. Be careful- work slow.

22. Cherry picker, four 1/2" eyebolts and four motorcycle tie down straps.

There are factory holes in the metal bodies that are in the right place for the eyebolts.
    For a glass body like the 32 you need 3/8" eyebolts and use the body mount holes you drilled.
    3/8" eyebolts are strong enough, just get the motorcycle straps as vertical as you can.
    Since the bodies weigh 200-250# stripped, the stresses on eyebolts etc. are entirely within reason.

Worked for both the 31 and 31 on 32 rails roadsters.

Did both of these by myself.

Pulled a 39 Ford four door body off with cherry picker and some cargo tie down straps through the front doors and rear side windows.
    The front doors were open far enough for the straps to fit and a bungee wrapped around the "B" post and door window opening.

Did this one by myself as well.

It helps to remove the rear tires and have a floor jack under the rear axle on the banjo so you don't have to raise the body very far.
    Only help I had was to have someone stand on the cherry picker so it wouldn't get pulled over due to the extreme arm extension.
    (On the last factoy bolt hole out.)

I've used dollies made of 2x4's for the 32 and later on 1" x 2" rectangular tubing for the 31.
    Big casters used both times.

Don't make the mistake I did and use four swiveling casters.
    The loaded dolly goes every which way when you're on your own like I am most times.
    Two swiveling casters and two fixed along with some backing and filling is way better....