Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Removing a GM HEI distributor, how much clearance needed?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Gersic, Apr 8, 2016.

1. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I have what I believe to be a leaking intake manifold gasket (found coolent on top of the manifold, along the side). So to replace it, I need to remove the distributor. Haven't done this before, and looking at it, I only have about 1/2" of clearance at the firewall with the cap on.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460165829.889761.jpg

(Ignore the purple wires, I have a new set of black ones to install...)

So if I remove the cap, does it look like there is enough clearance to get the distributor out? Or am I going to have to move the engine forward first?

2. Your fine. Just pull the cap and pull the distributor out. While your doing the intake maybe look into converting to a points type distributor with a pertronix in it. Give you plenty more clearance and looks a whole lot better.

town sedan likes this.
  3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yup. Mark it and yank her out. Looks and performance compared to a Pertronix is debatable.

4. Agree, you'll have more room with the cap off. Mark the distributor body, etc so it goes back in easier. I have a small-body HEI on my Ford. I still have to relieve the lip above it to make the cap removal easier.
    312-002.JPG

5. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Cool, thanks. I'll mark it, plus I just checked the timing to see where it's at now in case I end up needing to fool with it getting it back in. Not replacing it right now, maybe later, we'll see.