Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Removing a '48 horn ring?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Koz, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Koz

Koz

I know this is dumb but...... How do you remove a Deluxe horn ring from a '48 steering wheel? Usually you just press both sides down at the same time and turn the ring slightly to release it from the retaining clips. This wheel it doesn't work on. Anybody have any experience that might be helpful. It is a mint Deluxe, (full round) ring and I don't want to lose it.

Thanks guys!

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

What kinda car you got ???

3. Koz

Koz

Just the '48 wheel, using it on my roadster. It is a Deluxe, 1948. This is the standard Ford wheel with the full horn ring.

4. deucemac

deucemac

You should be able to push it I firmly and turn to the left about a quarter turn

BigChief likes this.

5. If the wheel is off get someone to hold the wheel while you turn the horn ring, I just recently removed a 50 Ford horn ring and it come off as you described. HRP

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yes, one person to depress the button and keep it down, another to rotate. The problem is that there is a rubber ring in there that over the years has vulcanized wheel and ring together. Wear gloves and keep the turning pressure right where the spokes join the center button...go an inch out and the horn ring spokes are going to break. Buy a new rubber ring and wax everything it touches so it doesn't all stick again.

7. catdad49

catdad49

Duecemac and Bruce are on it! Funny story and the reason I know about this. Had a '42 Ford Coupe for a while and every so often when turning the steering wheel, the horn would blow. So one day I decide it's time to fix it, if only I can get the horn ring off! Trying to be gentle because I don't want to muck something up and I can't seem to figure it out. Along comes one of my girls young playmates and asks what I'm doing. I answer and admit that I'm struggling a bit and he says, "what if you turn it?" Felt kinda dumb and relieved at the same time. When working on older stuff, Think Simple! Carp, out.

Tim likes this.
  8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Some WD-40 has helped me loosen things up in the past. Work the horn button/ring after spraying some in there.

9. Koz

Koz

I was able to get it apart intact! It removed just as we thought. But when it was opened I discovered someone had used what looks like gasket compound to secure the ring in. That sucker was really glued together. I compressed the ring with a C clamp and some wood blocks and then gently tapped the ring with a small deadblow hammer until the bond was broken. 001.JPG 002.JPG

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      181.7 KB
      Views:
    Tim likes this.
  10. Koz

Koz

Next step is to clean this goop out, repair the wheel and spray it in white epoxy. Then I'll "smoke" it, a style I haven't seen in a while and shoot with several coats of clear epoxy to preserve the smoking.

11. Koz

Koz

All cleaned and working properly. Comes off easily now with no damage. Tomorrow night I can repair and prime.

Thanks guys! 004.JPG

catdad49 and 51box like this.
  12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looks good!

13. catdad49

catdad49

Nice work, make sure you share the finished product with us. Thanks

14. Ritzy1

Ritzy1

Mine looked the same way when I took the horn ring off. It was almost like the horn button cushion had melted. How do you get the horn button insert out of the ring (without damaging it)?