Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Removing '56 Olds Hood Hinges?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Dad Was A Racer, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Dad Was A Racer

Dad Was A Racer
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone removed the hood hinges on a '56 Oldmobile Super 88? The hood-to-hinge connection uses two odd head bolts that you make a socket for out of a 3/4" socket according to the service manual. Okay, I can handle that...

The challenge looks like the bolts holding the hinge to the body. There's one bolt head visible under the hood, but the other two appear to be threaded from inside the firewall, under the dash. Is this correct? Is there any way to access these bolts to remove the hinge?

FWIW one my hinges is bent and I won't be able to replace or properly repair it without removing the hinges, thus my question. Thanks!

2. Johnnyolds98

Johnnyolds98

Have a look if you can find respective bolts from the inside under the dash. Could well be possible it attached from there. I did not remove the hinges when I was working on the 98 ...

3. Dad Was A Racer

Dad Was A Racer
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found the bolt heads inside under the dash with a little help from some other related posts here. Hinges came off with no drama.