Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical remote battery posts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evobuilder, May 30, 2014.

1. evobuilder

evobuilder

so my battery in my coupe is under my floor board in a battery box off the frame. Very hard to get to and next to impossible on the side of the road. I want to set up a way to jump the car from the trunk....I found these on Speedway....
    69821504_L.jpg
    but am not really sure how I connect these to the battery.... do I need to make battery cables tat run from the battery to these posts, or do I just use a heavy gauge wire (and if so, what gauge). Anyway.... any help is greatly appreciated.

2. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I used some HD jumper cables and used copper lugs.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. evobuilder

evobuilder

hell.... maybe I will just default to jumping off the starter and not worry about it :)
    I wish the trap door in my floor was more accessible (it is for replacing the battery) but not for a simple jump.... I would have to remove the seat to get quick access to the battery and that is just not convenient when on the side of the road.... my car is soo low, I don't even think I could get under it to snap cables on the terminals. This is why I was thinking that if I put these posts in the trunk, then I would never have to worry about it in an emergency situation.

4. Just a guess but I have something like it on my modern car. Typical modern car design. The battery is under the floor in the back seat and I can't even find the starter (must admit I haven't looked too hard). They added a positive terminal under the hood. For a car with negative ground I would assume you mount the black one such that it is accessible and grounded and run a cable from the positive side of the battery to the red one and mount it where it is accessible. Looks like a good idea if you can't reach the battery or starter.

Charlie Stephens

5. cbillelder

cbillelder

Another possibility for a post is one found in late 70's and early 80's Ford vans.
    It is located in the engine compartment on the driver's side inner sheet metal
    panel just below the hood and above the master cylinder. It's a 5/16" stud with
    a 9/16" hex nut on it. I've used a couple of these in past projects for wire terminals.
    Bill 001 (21).JPG

6. evobuilder

evobuilder

think I figured it out.... I have a kill switch (toggle) under the dash.... and if I need to jump it, I can just jump off the back side of this switch. Problem solved (I think)
    capt.JPG

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

move the kill switch below the car some place and install the remote posts that you show in the beginning nearby with large cable. everything that you need is available thru summit racing, etc. do not want to have big electrical connections inside car.

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  8. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

I fitted an Anderson connector to my under seat battery and brought it out to the trunk, all I need is a jumper cable with the mating connector and I can start it from another power source..

[​IMG]

9. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

I have a set of those on three of my vehicles and they are great for connecting battery tenders or if you need 12 volt power for something out side the vehicle. I even made up a set of jumper leads with a set so I can jump start vehicles if the vehicle is parked in a way making it not easy to access the battery. I would be care full about jump starting of an isolate kill switch.

Shop round as a few places make and sell them. Watsons Street Works have them as well.

10. inline 292

inline 292

11. stimpy

stimpy

if you use the remote posts , use welding or battery cable to make the connections to the battery , the anderson connectors are nice as they are keyed ( can only plug in one way ) and low profiled and can carry a large amp load with out getting hot , I have a set of jumper cables with a anderson set on them to jump my big trucks from my Pick up , do not use the kill switch for jump starts as the contacts are not rated for a long heavy load only a short ( 5-10 sec ) starting burst . they do sell 1000 amp ones but they are $$$$$

12. earlyv8

earlyv8
    from oklahoma

I used a pair of those studs under the frame rail near the starter. Made up short connecting cables from # 1/0 battery cable.
    Jack