Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remember when AMT Model Car Kit was $1.50

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, May 2, 2010.

1. Where can i get a 1950 Ford Model ?

2. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I was laid up entire summer of 1959 with nephritis - could only get up to walk to bathroom and sit at the dinner table - then back to bed. Dad built me a large tilt-top table that fit over my bed - tilted up for drawing, etc and flat for building models. When people asked what they could get for me...Mom said "well, he seems to enjoy putting those model cars together", so I think by the time that summer was over, I had assembled 50 or more of almost anything that was being made. The advent of the 32 Ford 5W coupe from AMT was like a major step. Other rod-style cars followed (40 Ford coupe, 29 A pickup, etc). I had a car of my own...sitting in the driveway, but doctor said no driving till end of summer. I wouldn't want to be that sick again (was administered last rites before they would let the ambulance take me.

I don't recall how much the models were, but I'm sure they were under a dollar.

dj

3. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

I only see them now for $22-$27 just five years ago I remember going to walmart and getting them for 8.99 what happened?!?!

4. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

These model car kits and slot cars from the 60 s are worth huge money, in the box some are worth as much as 5 grand.

5. I gotta HATS OFF TO THE MODEL COMPANIES! they have gone out and brought back the stuff we loved and can now build again.........now all I want is a UNCERTIAN T kit................

Attached Files:

6. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

I built models like mad when I was a kid. Mainly planes but lots of cars, tanks and ships. AMT, Revell, Monogram, Aurora, Lindberg, Renwal, and later Tamiya. I think I built all of the 1/12 scale Tamiya Grand Prix cars. Thing is, as I got older I didn't have the time to build them, but I never really stopped buying them! I've just started to go through them to sell off what I doesn't interest me anymore.

Cheers,
    Kurt O.

7. Deuces

Deuces

Ii think it had something to do with the little Mom n' Pop hobby stores not selling as much as they used too. So now, none of the BIG chain stores carry model kits anymore and the little hobby shops are making a killing on them. I remember wal mart selling those kits also for 9.99-11.99 about 6 years ago..

8. Labold

Labold

M-80's were the tool of choice here.

9. 51NINETYEIGHT

51NINETYEIGHT
    BANNED

10. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

FORD...and toy GEEK! and i remember when gas was 19 cents a gallon. so what? what in the hell doe's this have to do with HOTRODS OR CUSTOMS...POP.

11. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

Heck,I remember when AMT kits cost $1.39 and the price was printed right on the box!

12. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I'm not that old...I remember them being $2.00 and glue ( the good smelling stuff) was .39

13. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

I remember paying $2.26 for AMT car kits at a local discount store in the 1975-78 period where at the hobby shop they were $2.49. I also remember when the Monogram "Early Iron" series came out. I saw the orange '40 Ford pickup kit, c1974, and the price at the hobby shop was $2.70! I remember thinking that $2.70 was a big price jump (but I bought that '40). I was 12 in '74.

14. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

I DON'T REMEMBER NOTHING. :eek:

15. shoveled71

shoveled71

I remember models being 1.50 back in the mid to late 60s, me and a bud used to spend the night a one or the others house every friday night and build models, we both had a big box of left over model parts and they were like gold to each other, the next day before we went to our own houses we would have to search each other, and usually find a set of mags or headers they tried to rip off;) Spike

16. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Your dad probably only made 1.50 hr. back in the day. I dont think they can make the box for a 1.50 now and I know I make more then 20 hr so when my kid wont a new kit it almost cheap the stupid PlayStation games at 50-65 bucks that sucks the big one. Shit the glue cost more the 1.50. My 6 year old loves RC cars his last one cost over 200 bucks.
    Don't ask how much the Quad cost...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  17. what in the hell doe's this have to do with HOTRODS OR CUSTOMS...POP.[/QUOTE]
    Everything,I would say,its what got most of us into this.....................

18. Deuces

Deuces

I agree 100%..

19. doozcoupe

doozcoupe

Back in the 50s my dad used to work at Drake Printing Company on 8 mi. in Farmington. They used to print dealer sales/option books, banners etc. for G.M. He'd bring rejects home occasionally. Be nice to still have them. We lived in the thumb {Michigan}. Dad would stay with my aunt/uncle during the week, and come home weekends. Every weekend he always brought back a promotional model car. HAD them all! But, kids do dumb things and now I have none.

20. retro rodder

retro rodder
    from cape cod

that would have been so cool like 2$ for a kit the ironic thing is my dad had a kit of mpc's 75 duster that got destroyed by a snot nose jerk when i brought it in for show an tell in the first grade after which i wanted a new one ever since well anyway two years ago I finally found an unopened one and had to shell out 120$ for it[Damn it ] well any way when it came in the mail it was unopened and everything but the original Ames tag was on it for 3.50$ :}

21. 1957Custom

1957Custom
    from Tulsa Ok

I recently sold an unopened '70 Cyclone model for $200.00 & the sticker was still on it & read $0.99 from Giant

22. Deuces

Deuces

The 1975 Duster kit is still on the shelves under the AMT label... Same as the MPC kit.. Check out www.modelroundup.com and go to the AMT gallery... Those 1975 Duster kits are less than 20 bucks new. :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  23. Red Ram Hemi

Red Ram Hemi
    from Shack

I love old model kits!

I have quite a few newer ones, I especially collect the 1/32 scale models in any condition! I use them to convert to slot cars!:cool:

Auto World that sells the HO slot cars now is not the old Auto World.. It is the guy that was Johny Lightning.

The recent demise of K-mart & Walmart not selling the kits is part of the problem why the prices are up so high now! But if you clip a Micheals coupon that is a good way to pick up some good deals! Or visit your local hobby shop, the trend has led to a lot of lazy people as they want it all finished or painted at least hence the rise in die-cast! There are quite a few cottage industry folks doing some unique resins in limited numbers as the molds only hold up for a certain amount of time and they have to be reworked if demand is still there.

Just my .02

Red Ram

24. carnut341

carnut341

My first model was a 1/43 1956 Lincoln Cont. and the only reason I got it was that we were on vacation in Ohio in 1956. We couldn't afford to get anything like that very often.

25. retro rodder

retro rodder
    from cape cod

actually its not the same its a 75 dart sport tooled of the 71 demon mold thus ruining it and when amt or mpc released a short track kit based of the 75 duster kit they also ruined that mold thus leave the newer 75 "duster" kit to actually be the 75 dart just labeled as a duster

26. Deuces

Deuces

I have that '75 Duster kit.... I think I raped it for parts to use on another mopar kit build... I'll have to look into it........

27. Deuces

Deuces

Your right! I just looked at the kit and it sez Dodge right above the grill.. I wonder if that was an old Pro Stock kit.... It also comes with a Hemi motor.......

28. WCD

WCD

I enjoyed all the kits (AMT 3 in Dragster Kit was a fav) but was most fond of the Revell series; Simple Simon Pie Wagon, Henry J, Skipper's Critter, et al. Here is a little tid bit. Years ago I was able to fanagle a tour through the Revell plant located near Venice California. The guy who conducted the tour had been an employee for years, and was most fond of the car kits. He told me that Thames panel kit dubbed Simple Simon Pie Wagon came to be via the assistance of TV star Ken Berry of F-Troop fame. Seems Berry was a model car fan too. Somehow he became aware of Revell intentions of releasing a gasser style kit of a Thames panel truck. But the company needed a complete OEM vehicle to start with in order to draft the mold. Turns out Berry owned one! He offered the car for free if Revell would use his face for the driver. They did. So, the first release series of the kit featured a helmet clad driver whose side profile bares a strong resemblence to the actor

29. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Nope, don't remember...I do remember when it cost $1.59. :) MPC was my favorite though.

Twenty dollars for a plastic model car kit? THEY'D NEVER GET IT FROM ME!

Pete

30. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Yep, sure do, it was an AMT 1967 Camaro convertible that my godfather gave to this (then) 9-year-old as a gift in 1967. Thus began my lifelong addiction to high perforamance cars.

My second model car kit was an MPC Dick Landy 1969 Dodge Charger R/T. :)

[​IMG]

LOTS more here:

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/instruction_sheetsh/instruction_sheets/mpc/

Pete

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010