Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remember Pearl Harbor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by retiredblue, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. retiredblue

retiredblue
    from california

Take some time and remember those heros of the 1940's and how we enjoy our freedoms today thanks to them , and that these freedoms must not be taken for granted.

Attached Files:

2. RT HEMI

RT HEMI

i have been infatuated with this time period and especially the "sneak attack" that they did since i was a child .... Almost wish i had been there ... Probably biggest reason i joined the u.s.navy

3. Amen, brother. They interrupted their lives to save the world...and they did.

We are quickly losing the members of the Greatest Generation. Soon they will all be gone. What a loss for us.

Every December 7th I think of what happened on Oahu that Sunday morning. I think of my parents sitting in a Los Angeles movie theater when they got the news. They described it this way:

Suddenly the movie stopped and the house lights came on. The theater manager came up on the stage an said "All military personnel report to your bases immediately. Pearl Harbor, Hawaii has been attacked by the Japanese."

I'm not a religious person per say, but every December 7th I bow my head in gratitude and say a little prayer for those that lost their lives that day, for the men and women in the military and on the home front who sacrificed so much, and for my parents.

Thanks for remembering.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  4. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you ever go to Hawaii, to not miss the chance to visit the Pearl Harbor Memorial. It is a VERY moving experience.

5. OfficerBimbo

OfficerBimbo

Thank you God for the men and women who made up the Greatest Generation!

6. Gator

Gator

I often think they are nowadays.

Thanks for the post.

7. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I second that! My folks, RIP

8. flyin-t

flyin-t

I lost my mom last week and her brother came to town for a little memorial. He was telling me stories of my grand pa who was a Pearl survivor. He was a diver in the Navy and was stationed on the SS Pruitt at the time. (he was a 30 year Navy guy, joined at 15 in '27 and retired a Commander in '57) His job in the days following the attack at Pearl was to dive retrieve bodies and if the bodies were trapped under wreckage or for some other reason could not be brought to the surface he had to cut off their heads so they could be identified by dental records.
    I don't know how you could ever get that out of your brain and I'm sure that experience was just one of the many reasons he was a big drinker. He died when I was about 20, toughest man I ever met except for my dad who was a Marine.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  9. raidmagic

raidmagic

Thanks for the post. It amazes me how many of the younger generation have no clue about today. A little over a year ago I was talking to a co worker about 9/11 (it was getting close to the 10 year anniversary) and I was commenting that I wish it would be talked about more so it isn't forgotten like other tragedy's in US history. His argument was it was too painful and couldn't be forgotten (he's 26) I then asked him what was special about Dec.7th. He couldn't answer, he didn't know that was Pearl Harbor day.
    At least that conversion opened at least one set of eyes and he can observe this day from now on.

10. Thank you all for sharing these stories. It's a great way to commemorate this day. I know it's not exactly about traditional hot rods, but then again, nothing stands alone in history. If these young men hadn't returned from the war, many of the traditional hot rods that we cherish would never have been built. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like it's all tied together as a part of that generation and the one that followed.

11. This the main reason why I want to go to Hawaii.

12. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Well Im 33 and know what today is... maybe thats why I feel off today... I know I will never forget this day and yeah its a shame how the young generation knows nothing about this kind of thing nor cares much... its how our society has become here today gone tomorrow.

13. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

[​IMG]

Work, Fight, Sacrifice. These were words that my father's and grandfather's generations lived by.

Remember Pearl Harbor, and Remember the Arizona.

14. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well said mate.
    The feelings sitting there in the cinema being told of the attack must have been incredible, knowing that the world was now at war.

Truly the greatest generation. So much more than I could ever hope to be.

Doc.

15. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Thanks dad, and all who served!

[​IMG]

16. Ripper-

Ripper-
    from Texas

Great Thread

Thanks for posting guys

God Bless all those men and women

17. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

If there, go to the Arizona Memorial. Then the Missouri, then to the Bowfin.
    Thanks to all Veterans, and lovers of this great nation.

18. hotrod327

hotrod327
    from Orygun

over 2,000 lost thier lives. as Roosevelt correctly stated, "a day which will live in infamy" and indeed as the Japanese correctly anticipated the "awakening of a sleeping giant". The flag flies today and every day at my place.

19. CGkidd

CGkidd

Last time I went there was a survivor who was onboard the USS California who went on our tour with us. Our ship had the Pararea admirals gig take us on a tour to the memorial and around the island so we were able to see the USS Utah which is still partially submerged. The tour was very humbling.

20. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Can you guys please take a look at what is going on with the rest of the board before starting another Pearl Harbor thread?

Believe me, it's not that I lack respect but we do need to be reasonable about this and frankly, we don't have time to manage, merge, etc if everyone thinks they need to start their own thread about Pearl Harbor. Thanks for your patience.

Link to thread that will remain open: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8416033#post8416033

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.