Register now to get rid of these ads!

Registering an old plate

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R Frederick, Jan 6, 2012.

1. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I have a 23 Willy's, and have a 23 Illinois plate. I've heard that you can register and run the old plate on your car if the number is available. Problem is, my old plate is three numbers/space/three numbers. It doesn't match the configuration of a modern passenger car plate, or even a vanity plate. Anyone run across this?

2. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Every state is different, if it was used that way in 23 it is ok. I have done it in AZ no problem. go on line with the dmv and see if they have a form

3. George

George

If your State does old plates they know already that the format is different, therefore it already not a probem. Contact DMV & find out the details on doing it.

4. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Sounds promising, but I think this is where it goes south for me. The car is technically a new special construction car under the bonding program. So the title is 2011, but the make is Willys, and the model is 1923 roadster. Hmmm. I'm not thinking they will go for it.:( The plate does look damn cool on there though.

5. D-man313

D-man313

I know all states are different. On my 49 I have a new registered Indiana truck plate that i keep in the cab. But i run a 49 Indiana plate. So im all legal and registered, but run the old plate for looks.

Havent had any trouble with the law about running the old plate. I have the new plate if the cop wants to see it, and if he really pushes the issue, ill change the plate for him.

Havent had any trouble on my brothers 67 with the old plate, but we still keep the registered plate in the car.

Hope this helps

6. 56 T Bird

56 T Bird

Have experience with this issue in California and Washington state. First, if the plate you have was used in that format back in 1923, it most likely will be acceptable almost 80 years later. Also, many states (i.e., California and Washington) will accept any plate if the tag or sticker is for the correct year. E.g., my 1956 Ford Thunderbird plate (in Washington) can be licensed with any old Washington plate as long as it has the correct 1956 tag. So, it would be possible to get a 1940's era plate and make it work by simply attaching the '56 tag. Hope this helps.

7. GREASER815

GREASER815

I am in Illinois. As long as you have antique plates and carry them in the vehicle, you can run any old plates you want to. Don't have to register them, just get them and put them on, but carry your antique plates and registration that is current and be able to produce it if need be. Iran my 50 with old plates all summer, actually just a rear one, and was never bothered.

8. check with your DMV, I have run Y.O.M. plates on all my rided here in Washington with no problems. Some plates were carry overs and just need the metal tab. My 55 F100 and the 56 Nomad were like that. There were 54 Plates, but with the correct tabs

9. I doubt you will have any problem with the numbers. Be sure to register the plate beore you restore it as some states won't accept restored plates.

Charlie Stephens

10. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Greaser815 is correct. In Illinois it is not possible to register old plates, but you can run them on your car and keep the antique plates with you at all times to display. You cannot do this if you run regular car plates, only antique plates.

11. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I'm thinking if the title says 2011, you're going to be doing emissions and/or needing to meet safety requirements of a 2011 new car.

12. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

There's my problem, I do not qualify for antique plates since it's a new construction. I think I'll just run them, I keep the actual plate in the door panel at all times.

13. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Not with the special construction bonding program. Late model cars aren't even emission tested here.

14. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

I run my old plates all times and keep my registered plates in the glove box.

15. IAVWGUY

IAVWGUY

If you go to the SEMA website they have a list of all 50 states DMV regulations.

16. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Got my title Saturday, exactly 7 months after filing (won't get into that). The year says 1923, make is willys, model is Street Rod. I'll check into this and post back. I didn't want to ask until I got the paper and possibly complicate things.

17. Wow that took 7 months! Well good to hear you were granted the 1923 year.
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I just moved to Illinois from Texas. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions for out of staters registering old cars in this state?
    All of my cars have clear Texas titles, I have read some horror stories on the declared value and taxing in this state.

18. In Maryland the plates need to be restored first. Colors and markings must be correct. They must be registered with the DMV before you can use them. You carry your correct plates in the car with you too.

19. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

The plate I got is beautifully preserved. It has a nice patina, and I'd like to run it.
    [​IMG]

20. Oldhenry1

Oldhenry1

Just did my 1935 in Wa State with 35 plates. They needed the plate when I transferred the Title. The plate is now listed on the Title as being the permanent Collector vehicle registration. With your State giving you a 1923 title I dont think they'll be too worried about it. Give it a shot.

21. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

If your car title says it's a '23 then you can run the plate, just keep your antique plates and registration with you and you are set. That is all you have to do.

22. I'd say you got all the correct information from all the Illinois guys that posted. You can confirm all the info @ cyberdriveillinois or something like that.

23. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

My good buddy Larry gifted me with a 40's era Maryland plate with the crimp-on "47" tag for my truck.
    I asked the nice lady at the MVA how I could go about using the tag on my 47 Stude.
    Pay the MVA $25. to visually inspect the tag then they'd register it to me for that one time fee.I still have to pay for my current "modern" tags/registration,have them onboard the truck(under the seat) and can run my "47" tag legally.
    She was cool,very professional and made the Motor Vehicle Admin experience okay.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  24. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

does your state require 2 plates ? you can check your DMV online to see if the plate is clear . i run '31 plates on my '31 coupe . no problems in ca. ca. requires 2 plates , front & rear , but i run my '31 plate on the rear , but a "POW/MIA" plate in front . 10 yrs now with no questions ............ i keep the stckers inside & still no problems .............. steve