Register now to get rid of these ads!

Refill cans of R-12 A/C refrigerant... what can I legally do with them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BHfanGB, Jun 27, 2012.

1. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

I can buy all of the R-12 cans that I want to legally. It's when I want to buy a 30lb cylinder that I have to whip out MACS certification.

I remember buying two cans of R-12 and the tool to put it in for 10.00 How many of those cans are still paying around? I know I could find a bunch in my Moms garage.

Personally, I would sell it and not worry.

2. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

I got about 5-6 cases....better that the stock market.

3. I sold some vintage cans...the cans only. What the buyer did with the contents was up to them.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Don't believe every thing you read.

5. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

At the time of the ban to the public, the military was the largest user of R-12 and the way I understood it it did not apply to them. I always thought the biggest problem with it was the fact that Dupont's patent was running out, and they had the stroke to push through a new replacement.

6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I believe about half of what I read, and nearly none of what I hear. So, where did you hear that CFCs are harmless?

I don't want to be rude, but it's basic chemistry, not just some belief that people have. The CFC molecules strip off the extra O in O3 and convert to O2. The problem is that the same CFC molecule isn't satisfied to do it just once. The O then falls off the CFC and then the CFC looks for another one to grab. The cycle continues such that one CFC just continues converting O3 to O2.

7. Is this dead horse STILL being beat?!?!

8. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Auctioneers do this all the time. They'll sell something and throw in R-12 for free.

9. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got an EPA 609 certification, got it so that I could buy refrigerant legally, since the mobile A/C guys around town pretend that air conditioning is black magic, and charge accordingly. The 609 certification cost me less that $25, and it's been worth every cent.

Legalities aside, you should be able to make some easy cash peddling the R-12, just don't sell them to a Federali.

10. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Remember those BB guns that sprayed a steady stream powered be freon?
    I still have mine and the hole over Antartica that came with it.
    If its just a few cans C/L will be fine. Youre not a dealer.
    Swap a Home big box gift card for em if youre worried about it.
    I wouldnt be. Good question though.