Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects redlining the 41

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buick bill, Apr 15, 2021.

1. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

im about to try to paint the red lines on the stainless trim on my 41 chevy sd coupe.the brite red oneshot and 20 dollar 3 brush pin stripe kit are on the way . never tried anything like this before and i looking for any advice i can get. my grill should be back from the plater in a wk or so as well . it originally has many many lines id like to restore .should i try to sand the groves in the stainless and chrome before to get the paint to stick ? im hoping not . then if i screw up i can just wipe it clean and re think if i even want it. what are your thoughts ? new bumpers had paint on the wing guards as well DSCF5421.JPG 1941 chevrolet special deluxe coupe.png

2. 1pickup

1pickup

If you're hand isn't steady, or you have no pinstriping talent, just tape off both sides of your target area & slop it on. That's what I would do. Or, hire my buddy, who is a striper.

3. Are the lines going into a recessed area? If they are, that's easy, do your best to get the paint where you want it, then dip a rag in lacquer thinner or mineral spirits and run your finger in the rag along the edge to clean up any over flow.

lurker mick likes this.
  4. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

about 30 lines in just the grill . so a lot of taping .ye they all go ina groove so might not be to bad

Dan Hay likes this.

5. Lost in the Fifties

Lost in the Fifties

Try a paint pen, it's fast and easy. Just about perfect for indented lines, and lasts well.

6. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

i rcvd my brushs yesterday . one shot is on the way . so ill give it a one shot first and see what happens .i saw hardener listed for the onshot .im not sure if i should use it ? im waiting to see how thin/ thick the paint is and how quick it sets up . im planning on painting the grill before i install it ,so it will be horizontal soshould be easier . im not sure how well the paint will stick to chrome and stainless i guess laquer was used originally . but maybe red lead ? still spots left after 80 yrs but not many !! i just need 20 yrs maybe less!!