Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Redding CA Drags 1961

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Irish, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Irish

Irish

My Mom sent me some pictures today that she took in 1961 in Redding, CA at a drag race. Here is what she said about the pictures. That's all I know. Enjoy!

Here are the pictures I have of the 1961 summer drags in
    Redding...the car is a bantam owned by Al Blomquist and Bill Lyman.
    Dad is looking on in one picture and Larry Addison is watching them work in the other one.

Attached Files:

2. Irish ... cool pics ... thanks for sharing!

I didn't even know that there was a dragstrip in "the Ding" back in the '60s ... but sho 'nuff, here's a blurb from their website:

About the Redding Dragstrip

"It was about 1948 when local hot rodders, including Roger Whipp, first sought a safe place to drag race their cars, and in Roger’s words, “…offer encouragement to be legal”. That search lead to the dusty but straight abandoned runways at Redding Airport. With support from community elders, including the mayor, city council and newspaper editor, some who enjoyed racing themselves or whose young teenagers showed interest in hot rods, is where the meager beginnings of a long, grassroots history of the Shasta Roadsters and Redding Drag Strip began."

Today, we are the oldest continuously operating NHRA drag racing facility in United States. Redding Drag Strip signed up in the Fall of 1955 to become an officially sanctioned NHRA track, and has run ever since. In the early 1960s, the Redding Dragstrip became the place to race for locals and other Northern California events. Early films have been converted to video:

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T50o104twzA&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T50o104twzA&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  3. Irish

Irish

bump for the 4:20 crowd :D

Check out the barbell weights on the front of the dragster. Can anyone ID the engine??

4. Irish

Irish

Thanks for the history on the track Hemi32. I know we have some pictures from the track from the early 70's somewhere also. I'll try to get them and post them here.

It seems that a lot of tracks claim to be the longest run or longest open in the country. I believe I've read other tracks claims to that distinction on the HAMB. :confused:

5. Me too! Thanks Hemi32. I was in the Southern Ore. Wheelers CC from Medford, Ore. We brought our coupe, Zombie 3 down there to race a couple of times. I still see the Shasta Roadsters club at the Salt Flats every year. Thanks again for the mammeries!!! Crow.

6. Irish

Irish

The Arizona Old Crow: If you have any pictures of that Zombie 3 running at Redding post them here.

7. Irish

Irish

8. That video is sweeet!

Thanks for sharing it and the pictures!

9. HotRodDaddy-O

HotRodDaddy-O

Nice pics, Irish.
    Wow, that video is cool. "Sparmavision", hahaha.
    I wonder where that wicked chopped number 21 coupe is today.

10. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

11. Irish

Irish

Yeah the video is great. You see the cars coming back on the dirt return road. They even ran some three at a time! The 3 bikes going off together is cool.

Redding is hotter than hell in the summer, you don't want to be out there without a hat!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  12. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Irish, thanks for sharing the pictures!

HEMI32, thanks for sharing that cool video!

Great stuff!

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

This is all really cool shit. By all means please post more!

14. Irish! Sure wish I did have some of the old Brownie pictures but they are long gone. will try to run some pics down from my Brother in Medford, he saved everything! I'll be back! Crow.

15. Irish

Irish

Very cool Crow! It'd be cool to get some more pics up!

16. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Awesome! That track is 2 mins from my folks house. When I go home to visit, I can hear htem run on Saturday nights. We always have a good time at that track. Thanks for the post!

17. NorCalCoupe

NorCalCoupe

We are actually starting a facebook page on the Shasta Roadsters, we have some up now but are really looking for a lot of the older pictures and info on them and the Redding Drag Strip if anyone has anything.

Thanks,
    Troy

18. lawman

lawman

Thanks for the pics and vid.!!!!!! Tom (Tired Old man)

19. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

I have a question for you, was there ever a car club called the "Shasta Lakers" in Central Valley?

I have seen some car club plagues for sale that have that on them.

Thanks
    RustyNCA

20. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Memories of racing in T-shirts, bluejeans, US Keds and Bell helmets. Deer Park and Shelton in the late 50s and early 60s. We were SO envious of the CA tracks, we thought CA had the most sophisticated timing equipment, the fastest cars....then we went down there and found out it was just same as us...buncha guys having a great time and learning a little bit more with every run.

thanks for the pics and the film

dj

21. That is the Redhead in your avatar! as a kid, I used to run there in the '60s; but only have one or two pics from the strip. I went to the car shows at the armory(?) and still have two or three show programs, one with my '29 tudor listed, the year that Tognotti's King T was there.

22. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

That's so cool and look there was dust at the drags:rolleyes: just like Eagle Field:D Rocky

23. Vintage pics are so cool. i love any and all you guys post. THANKS for posting.