Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Red Stanley's 1932 Ford Gasser *Video*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HenryJGuy, Dec 18, 2020.

1. HenryJGuy

HenryJGuy
    from Dayton, TN

I call it Red Stanley's car, but the truth is that this 1932 Ford three-window coupe has been owned by quite a few people through the years and hasn't been in Red's ownership in about 60 years. You've likely seen pictures and maybe even video of this car before, but I wanted to put together a comprehensive video to cover its history, dating back to when the car first hit the drag strip in 1957. The car has gone through some changes, but it has been revived and was reunited with a few of its previous owners. Al Casteen put together the old-time racer reunion, which was an awesome experience to hear these guys swapping stories. Anyway, I just put the video up on my Youtube channel and I wanted to share it here for those who are interested.

2. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well done, how very well done. Thanks for this.

3. I love this stuff. Thanks for sharing it with us and a big thumbs up to Al Casteen for bringing all of those previous owners together to help tell the history of this Deuce...........Don.

4. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Another thanks for sharing! So cool...

5. brady1929

brady1929

Cool video, thanks.

6. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

DSC02030.JPG
    I want to thank Tommy Lee for putting this together... truly an amazing car that I was so honored to have custody for a few years.
    I called the owners reunion "Coupe Day" and we held it in Ringgold, GA at the used car parking lot owned by one of the owners' descendants. I think we had all the previous owners represented before the day ended.
    I took this picture after I told Red to "Get up on the wheel for a race."
    The day was priceless and I am so thankful that so many participated and were able to attend.
    I've got some more pictures I can share but I believe I already put the whole day on the HAMB... I'll look for the thread if y'all want to revisit it.
    DSC02019Laughing.jpg
    Here's the core group. Left to right.
    The photographers: Tommy Lee Byrd and Gerry Burger.
    My "pit crew" that came with me from VA and helped with making it happen: Bobby Cullipher, George Warren(behind Bobby), and Shadow Weil.
    Two of the previous owners: Red Stanley and Leslie Anderson

You can tell it was a fun day!

That is Gerry's 40 pickup behind us and you can just see the gasser in Red's garage. Yep, Red let me keep it in the old garage where he kept it for many years. That, too, was special. While we were there, I asked Leslie about finding an old Moon tank for the gasser like they had on it out west... the one in the video didn't come with the car as it was the owner's Dad's tank. Mike Thompson in WA gets the credit for getting the car rehabilitated and back on the road and doing such a clever job of matching the new with the old to keep the patina almost surreal. I added a few touches but Mike and his gang did the real work.
    Back to the Moon tank. Leslie sold me an old Moon tank he had at a bargain price because it was going on the car and that's where he wanted it. He STILL had the heads and intake from a 406 Ford he ran in the car and he also still had the complete 427 Ford that he raced it that same car so long ago!! Seems like he also had a third engine that he ran briefly... a 428 I think.
    Anyway, he later told me that the Moon tank was the SAME tank he actually ran on the car at one time!!
    How's that for a story?

Sorry it is gone Al

7. Hot Rodding History at its' absolute finest. Man, I love stories like this. Thanks, Al, for doing all that you did............................Don.

8. Thanks for everything that you did to make this a memorable event.

mad mikey likes this.
  9. I thought I had seen that car before and when I watched the video I knew I had, it was at the NSRA Nat's South in Knoxville, Tennessee under the covered area in the swap meet.

I was intrigued with the car but it was way out of my budget, I'm glad some saw the importance in saving a cool piece of history. HRP

mad mikey likes this.
  10. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

lothiandon1940 and mad mikey like this.
  11. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice piece and very cool history! It's funny we see a car like that now in it's original state and go "oh man no way can I afford that!" :)

12. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nicely done! Thank you for forgoing the obnoxious incessant background music!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. Great video and story. What a truly cool old race car. love this stuff.:):cool:

14. AHotRod

AHotRod

A real Hot Rod, I love it.
    Thank you for sharing this with us all.

15. HenryJGuy

HenryJGuy
    from Dayton, TN

Hamtown Al and lothiandon1940 like this.